Badge Pick up

Started by EHS, October 27, 2007, 08:41:56 PM

KyraEnsui

Getting a State ID is pretty simple and cheap. Only thing you would have to dread about is waiting in line at the DMV. (>.>) You will have the California State ID for 6 years. Need more info about it, visit here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#idcard & http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/fees/idCard_fees.htm . Fanime is about 6 months away so you will have time to get it as long it's not last minute.

misosoupaddict

Will a photocopy of the passport work? (We don't want to risk losing the real one, lol.)
Find me in Artist's Alley 2011!
deviantart gallery

KyraEnsui

Quote from: misosoupaddict on November 20, 2007, 10:36:22 PM
Will a photocopy of the passport work? (We don't want to risk losing the real one, lol.)

Nope. Anything photocopy is not acceptable.

ae86co

Quote from: KyraEnsui on November 21, 2007, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: misosoupaddict on November 20, 2007, 10:36:22 PM

Nope. Anything photocopy is not acceptable.

A photocopy of any ID is just a photocopy.  We need the actual ID.
Antonio E.
FanimeCon 2003-2005 Registration Staff
FanimeCon 2006 Registration Second
FanimeCon 2007-2008 Registration Head
FanimeCon 2009 Finance Head

panther4200

This is from the FAQ...

"I've pre-registered! Where is my badge??
If you have paid in full your badge will be waiting for you at registration at the con. Please be prepared to show a valid government issued photo ID (passport, driver's license, state ID, military ID, etc.) to pick up your badge. A school ID is not an acceptable form of ID.
"

This is kind of silly but a school id is a state government issued id. I don't know why they wouldn't accept a state issued ID. Remember everyone, a school is part of the state of california. Even banks accept school ID's as a form of government identification. LOL... But these are the rules that they have posted... LOL

KyraEnsui

Quote from: panther4200 on December 26, 2007, 10:29:27 AM
This is from the FAQ...

"I've pre-registered! Where is my badge??
If you have paid in full your badge will be waiting for you at registration at the con. Please be prepared to show a valid government issued photo ID (passport, driver's license, state ID, military ID, etc.) to pick up your badge. A school ID is not an acceptable form of ID.
"

This is kind of silly but a school id is a state government issued id. I don't know why they wouldn't accept a state issued ID. Remember everyone, a school is part of the state of california. Even banks accept school ID's as a form of government identification. LOL... But these are the rules that they have posted... LOL
It's true that banks accept them as another form of ID when opening an account. However, School ID is still not acceptable. I know that you can't used your school ID when retailers asked for it when you are purchasing items with your credit card. (Work in retail for years now.) When you have a valid government issued photo ID card, it has all your information (name, address, date of birth, etc) on it so when they check up and make sure it's you who is picking up the badge, not someone else.

ewu

What is key to a gov't issued ID is that the date of birth will be on the ID. This is key to identifying your age and limiting our liability (legal scary stuff).

Please bring gov't issed PHOTO ID so that we may confirm your age as well as the fact that the ID belongs to you.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Sen on November 14, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
Like other posts have said, you should obtain a state issued ID. It's relatively cheap and you can easily get one before con time. If pre-registration pick up is going to be like last year's you will also have to present a receipt that will be available for download from your registration account in the future.

Ok, so I can't print it right off from the validation email? I'm not quite following this....

phoenixphire24

Quote from: JohnnyAR on December 26, 2007, 10:08:39 PM
Quote from: Sen on November 14, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
Like other posts have said, you should obtain a state issued ID. It's relatively cheap and you can easily get one before con time. If pre-registration pick up is going to be like last year's you will also have to present a receipt that will be available for download from your registration account in the future.

Ok, so I can't print it right off from the validation email? I'm not quite following this....

The receipt won't be available until much closer to Fanime. Last year it was up maybe 3 weeks before (please correct me if I'm wrong). They'll post an announcement on the web site.

Chewie

Just to add to the state ID thing, if you get the forms before you go in and make an appointment, you'll be in and out of the DMV in a few minutes, instead of going and waiting for literally hours without an appointment.

All California DMV offices have the forms available when you walk in, no waiting. Getting an appointment is also very quick, easy and just a phone call away and usually never take more than a week to get to. See website posted above for the number.

Imo, it's better just to have one anyway. They cost $25 and actually make getting a license (among other things and unless they've changed something in the last few years) easier in the long run.

GokuMew2

This doesn't apply to me but there may be some others out there wondering.
What about for the youngin's? The minors who don't need a state ID card yet (under 16) who may be going alone to pick up their badge? A school ID still can't be used in this case? Cuz really, I don't think you need a state ID if you're that young.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

phoenixphire24

Quote from: GokuMew2 on December 29, 2007, 11:32:58 AM
This doesn't apply to me but there may be some others out there wondering.
What about for the youngin's? The minors who don't need a state ID card yet (under 16) who may be going alone to pick up their badge? A school ID still can't be used in this case? Cuz really, I don't think you need a state ID if you're that young.

Isn't the ID card for people under 16? I mean, when you're 16 you can get a drivers license. If you're old enough to go to the con alone, then you're old enough to go get an ID from the DMV.

GokuMew2

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on December 30, 2007, 09:17:11 AM
Isn't the ID card for people under 16? I mean, when you're 16 you can get a drivers license. If you're old enough to go to the con alone, then you're old enough to go get an ID from the DMV.
Not necessarily?
I just don't see many "official" operations that require people that young to have a government-issued ID card. If you turn 18 and still don't have a drivers license (like me), then I would say you need a state ID card. My first Fanime was when I was 15 and back then school IDs were accepted.

Personally, I don't see the problem with school ID cards. It's not like the school system is so whack that anyone can impersonate someone else to get an ID. As long as it's got a photo and name on it (and maybe birth date for further verification if necessary), I think school IDs should be fine.
< Mew >

Tony

Quote from: GokuMew2 on December 30, 2007, 10:23:45 AM
It's not like the school system is so whack that anyone can impersonate someone else to get an ID.
That's true, but the biggest problem is the sheer number of ID types. If Fanime sticks with government-issued ID only, then there are only a handful of types. Otherwise...

1. People could make a counterfeit school ID. It would be cheap and easy to forge one - at least compared to a government-issued type.

2. We don't even know what a legitimate school ID from _____ looks like. Maybe we could learn what a few look like, but there are too many schools for us to memorize. That's really the biggest problem.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

GokuMew2

Quote from: Tony on December 30, 2007, 12:05:21 PM
1. People could make a counterfeit school ID. It would be cheap and easy to forge one - at least compared to a government-issued type.

2. We don't even know what a legitimate school ID from _____ looks like. Maybe we could learn what a few look like, but there are too many schools for us to memorize. That's really the biggest problem.
I suppose... But who would go through the trouble of making a fake school ID just to get into an anime con/pick up someone's badge?
< Mew >

Tony

Unfortunately, the same type that counterfeit badges... why pay full price when you can steal it for less? I'd hate to be the guy that had his legitimate $55 badge given away to some guy who spent $5 at Kinko's making a fake BHS student ID with my name on it...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Chewie

Then maybe some sort of security question/answer/verification needs to be added to the registration process from the moment someone chooses to register online. Something that can be asked at badge pick up besides "ID and print out, please". Would it take longer? Not really. A verbal security question for those without state issue IDs would be easily handled.

It's also been stated that again this year real names and numbers are going to be larger than the regular print on the badges, I remember last year being checked at most doors and I wasn't there a color system? If a badge is indeed stolen, people checking them need only be on the lookout for badge #123BLUE and grab that person early on.

While it is more work for you in the long run and it can't/won't negate ALL forms of thievery, it would help with the issue that is this - not all people can/want/are willing to dish out an extra $25 for a government ID.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: GokuMew2 on December 30, 2007, 10:23:45 AM
Not necessarily?
I just don't see many "official" operations that require people that young to have a government-issued ID card. If you turn 18 and still don't have a drivers license (like me), then I would say you need a state ID card. My first Fanime was when I was 15 and back then school IDs were accepted.

Actually, I was able to get in with a school ID last year, but I wasn't preregistered so that probably make a difference.......

GokuMew2

Quote from: Chewie on December 30, 2007, 06:15:44 PM
Then maybe some sort of security question/answer/verification needs to be added to the registration process from the moment someone chooses to register online. Something that can be asked at badge pick up besides "ID and print out, please". Would it take longer? Not really. A verbal security question for those without state issue IDs would be easily handled.
I like that! Though of course, if someone chooses an obvious answer to an obvious question as their security question, well, :-\
< Mew >

Chewie

Quote from: GokuMew2 on December 31, 2007, 10:44:01 AM
Quote from: Chewie on December 30, 2007, 06:15:44 PM
I like that! Though of course, if someone chooses an obvious answer to an obvious question as their security question, well, :-\

Agreed, but in reality it's just like choosing a password. You're personally responsible for how "stupid" your answers are. Lol