Cosplay Spectacular 2008 [FINAL LIST POSTED] [LOCKED]

Started by angeljibrille, November 12, 2007, 08:29:21 AM

Mister_E

Does there have to be Music, I will be kinda sorta singing, but not in the sence you're thinking.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

AngelKawaii

This is probably  a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

Can I still use a costume that has the main part of it made by someone else, but everything else made by me? Sorta like a put together costume, except one item is bought and everything else is made?

yumicchi88

we were not able to get the CPA for 2008 right?
then why do you have the link to CPA??  ???

This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Tur713 on December 10, 2007, 09:03:48 PM
Okay, what I currently have planned is a solo violin performance, but what I was really searching for was if there were any different rules about performance length or costuming. Is there anything else I should be aware of when setting this up? I really want to do something fun and memorable.

This may qualify as a special performance. We generally can give 5-10 minutes to an approved special performance. Did you want to send me some samples of your work? Send to [email protected]

angeljibrille

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on December 11, 2007, 08:31:46 PM
wow, bummer that we werent able to get the CPA this year D: it had perfect seating so everyone had a good view of the stage..oh well.

yeah it was a last-minute thing :(  *cry*

angeljibrille

Quote from: AngelKawaii on December 13, 2007, 06:21:06 PM
This is probably  a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

Can I still use a costume that has the main part of it made by someone else, but everything else made by me? Sorta like a put together costume, except one item is bought and everything else is made?

No, this is prohibited.

angeljibrille

Quote from: yumicchi88 on December 16, 2007, 08:58:34 AM
we were not able to get the CPA for 2008 right?
then why do you have the link to CPA??  ???

Thanks for pointing that out :) Fixed!

Druix

Forgive me if you get these type of questions a lot, since I'm rather new to Fanime, and even newer to Masquerades. But I don't really understand why purchased/partially purchased costumes are prohibited entirely. It makes sense to me to allow them, but not deny eliganility for awards. I know a lot of people that participate in Masqueardes because they enjoy entertaining people with their skits and don't particularly care about winning any awards. If it's a matter of having a cutoff for entries, why not draw the line at, say, a certain number of entries? A first come, first serve sort of deal? Or if not, is there a way to organize a different event, one where people can perform the skits that they worked hard to write, block, and memorize, even if they have purchased costumes? It just seems kind of unfair to people who can't sew or don't know anyone who can sew but still want to participate  :(

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

Tur713

Quote from: angeljibrille on December 20, 2007, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Tur713 on December 10, 2007, 09:03:48 PM
Okay, what I currently have planned is a solo violin performance, but what I was really searching for was if there were any different rules about performance length or costuming. Is there anything else I should be aware of when setting this up? I really want to do something fun and memorable.

This may qualify as a special performance. We generally can give 5-10 minutes to an approved special performance. Did you want to send me some samples of your work? Send to [email protected]

I'll try to get a couple of performances on video and post them up somewhere soon. I'll send the links to the address when I have them.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

Reinna

angeljibrille

Quote from: Druix on December 25, 2007, 01:22:27 PM
Forgive me if you get these type of questions a lot, since I'm rather new to Fanime, and even newer to Masquerades. But I don't really understand why purchased/partially purchased costumes are prohibited entirely. It makes sense to me to allow them, but not deny eliganility for awards. I know a lot of people that participate in Masqueardes because they enjoy entertaining people with their skits and don't particularly care about winning any awards. If it's a matter of having a cutoff for entries, why not draw the line at, say, a certain number of entries? A first come, first serve sort of deal? Or if not, is there a way to organize a different event, one where people can perform the skits that they worked hard to write, block, and memorize, even if they have purchased costumes? It just seems kind of unfair to people who can't sew or don't know anyone who can sew but still want to participate  :(

I'm sorry, but this is just the decision. All Masquerades are run this way. We get WAY too many people applying for the contest and we have to make a dividing line somewhere. The majority of people are able to fall under the rules which, at Fanime, are EXTREMELY flexible compared to other conventions. For example, you can join a group where you have a seamstress in your group who makes all your costumes -- there's a way to completely get out of sewing. You can also create a "found item" costume, etc. Most conventions prohibit these two choices. You can always use Stage Zero to stage, block, etc. your own skit. However, the Civic (or the CPA) for that matter cost more money than most people see in their lives to rent, and the people we have every year have not only produced their skits but also created their costumes within the rules. We are able to fill the slots every single year with more than enough (we have tons of people on the waiting list too) that it was the bar we set for participation. I know it makes a lot of people unhappy who can't sew. However, I know hundreds of people who started out not even knowing how to make a pillow much less a costume, who are doing incredible things now. You start at the bottom and you learn, just like everyone else, and believe it or not I've seen people with found item costumes in 2006 who showed up at 2007 with a costume they created themselves. If we do not do it this way, the person who was able to spend the most money (and the least amount of time) on their costume may win; often a skit is enhanced by the quality of the costume so that gives the person an unfair advantage. If you did the same skit in boxer shorts and a t-shirt -- would it have the same impact? Unlikely.

So, if you just want to cosplay and do a skit, probably Stage Zero is your best bet. If you are determined to be in the Masquerade, feel free to hang out here and on Cosplay.com to try to join a group -- you may find someone who will help you with a costume or will provide one for you as part of their group skit. There are ways to work within the system.

Thank you for your questions.

Please note, this is the one and only post I am going to make about this matter. Please read through the archives for previous discussions.

Thanks,
Marisa

Druix

Ah, okay. Well, I understand. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I know it must get tedious, since you probably get a lot of the same types of questions, so I really appreciate it.

And, hey, maybe this is a good thing. It's certainly good motivation for me to work on my sewing skills :D Yay, silver lining.

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

alcblueyes

if i go around and find the peices of the outfit(im doing anko from naruto) i cant really MAKE fishnets but if i get a fishnet top and bottom and sew it together and get a brown trenchcoat at a thrift shop and all, would that be considered okay? oh and naruto headbands, do we have to make those too? because technically theyre pre-made for the character.
~*~The Earth Is The Insane Asylum Of The Universe.~*~

--

Temari owns.

crowbarzero

Quote from: alcblueyes on January 01, 2008, 06:57:24 PM
if i go around and find the peices of the outfit(im doing anko from naruto) i cant really MAKE fishnets but if i get a fishnet top and bottom and sew it together and get a brown trenchcoat at a thrift shop and all, would that be considered okay? oh and naruto headbands, do we have to make those too? because technically theyre pre-made for the character.

Sewing fishnets together is kindof like sewing fabric together is it not? Naruto headbands I believe fall under the found item category.

Marisa, do you know what the prizes are for this year? Trophy/Certificate? Money and/or random goodies? Trip to japan?  ;D

mangalover0410

Hey. I was wondering what the weapons policy is for Fanime. I can't seem to find it on their website...
Life is pain highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
-The Princess Bride

petdiekatze

Quote from: mangalover0410 on January 11, 2008, 10:12:44 PM
Hey. I was wondering what the weapons policy is for Fanime. I can't seem to find it on their website...
Hi, I was looking for the earlier, and I found the 2006 weapons policy.
Here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,4553.0.html
I am Kitty. Hear me meow.

How do I sound like a good book? Just because I wield a pen does not mean I write myself.

StrawberryNeko

How much can we ask from the tech crew if we want to add some special effects into our skit?

LunaNeko

Is masq on Sunday this year for sure?  An Cafe lists their concert at Fanime for Sunday....I hope those two events won't ran into each other, and I'd also like to know in advance if Masq is moved to another day, like Saturday. Man, it's going to be a pain if its on Saturday, Im pretty sure half of the people won't finish their costumes on time, if crafts judging will be on friday only.

lycan510

Ok, so, what if i have Organization 13. would it be at all possible to get them on stage for a single skit?
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Tur713

Quote from: lycan510 on January 18, 2008, 10:48:43 PM
Ok, so, what if i have Organization 13. would it be at all possible to get them on stage for a single skit?
Should be enough room, I'd think.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo