To go, or not to go?

Started by 121911, November 30, 2007, 03:09:53 PM

FinalShadows

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 04:10:27 PM
and =X it's my second con, but first time at Fanime ^^; don't worry about it. come to have a great time! ^^ <3 besides! i can always steal you and we can wander Fanime together xD newb power lmao

Without me, you wouldn't have known of your fanime dreams xD..

Anyways, come join us! xD
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

astroboy

Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 03:09:53 PM
If anyone can help me out that would be wonderful! ;D
I had this weird friend in college who had the amazing ability to approach anyone and within 20 minutes he can make it seem like you've been friends with him forever. For the rest of us keep on reading...

astroboy's guide - How to approach strangers?
Remember, you have to start off not knowing someone before you get to know someone.
I'm an introvert too so I cannot just walk up to a stranger. I need a "reason".

1) Join Fanime Staff. - (yes I'm biased *points to signature*) Info desk, video programming, and Asian film are good bets. You're guaranteed to be sitting at a table with another person for at least 4 hours per day, everyday. No matter how shy you may be you'll eventually have to start talking.

2) Join a cosplay gathering. - go to the cosplay section of this forum or go to the FanimeCon section of cosplay.com and look up the date and time of cosplay gatherings. You'll get to stand around with other people for an hour cosplaying from the same series.

3) Fanime Forum gathering - somebody will probably try organize one just like last year. It will be mentioned here on the forums as the con approaches and you might find it printed in the event schedules under live programming

4) Going out to dinner -  somebody will definitely bring this up eventually. Last year a bunch of people on this forum (we call them the Fanimafia  ;)) went out to eat somewhere in Japantown.

hope that helps  ;D

Quote from: FinalShadows on December 01, 2007, 12:26:20 AM
Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 04:10:27 PM
and =X it's my second con, but first time at Fanime ^^; don't worry about it. come to have a great time! ^^ <3 besides! i can always steal you and we can wander Fanime together xD newb power lmao

Without me, you wouldn't have known of your fanime dreams xD..

Anyways, come join us! xD
;D Thanks!

Quote from: astroboy on December 01, 2007, 01:32:45 AM
Quote from: 121911 on November 30, 2007, 03:09:53 PM
If anyone can help me out that would be wonderful! ;D
I had this weird friend in college who had the amazing ability to approach anyone and within 20 minutes he can make it seem like you've been friends with him forever. For the rest of us keep on reading...

astroboy's guide - How to approach strangers?
Remember, you have to start off not knowing someone before you get to know someone.
I'm an introvert too so I cannot just walk up to a stranger. I need a "reason".

1) Join Fanime Staff. - (yes I'm biased *points to signature*) Info desk, video programming, and Asian film are good bets. You're guaranteed to be sitting at a table with another person for at least 4 hours per day, everyday. No matter how shy you may be you'll eventually have to start talking.

2) Join a cosplay gathering. - go to the cosplay section of this forum or go to the FanimeCon section of cosplay.com and look up the date and time of cosplay gatherings. You'll get to stand around with other people for an hour cosplaying from the same series.

3) Fanime Forum gathering - somebody will probably try organize one just like last year. It will be mentioned here on the forums as the con approaches and you might find it printed in the event schedules under live programming

4) Going out to dinner -  somebody will definitely bring this up eventually. Last year a bunch of people on this forum (we call them the Fanimafia  ;)) went out to eat somewhere in Japantown.

hope that helps  ;D

:D Thank you for all the ideas!!
They sound fun!

TseUq

A couple of my friends like to watch anime/read manga etc however none of them would 'go the extra distance' and go to a convention or anything.  It has been something I have been interested in for awhile, so this year I said screw it and went to my first con (SakuraCon in WA) by myself. 
I havnt been to Fanime yet (08 will be my first year) but at the few other cons Ive been too (SC, AX, MikomiCon, AE)  for the most part everyone is very friendly and welcoming!  **remember pretty much everyone that goes to these things, goes because we all share a common interest)

At every con Ive attended I have met new friends who I stay in regular contact with (at AX I met the most wonderful people in the world)!! 

So really, I would say just go for it ^^ 
And yes, deffinitly cosplay meet ups/volunteering/staffing will make it easier to meet people.

~*The difference between the possible and impossible lies in someones determination*~

astroboy

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 30, 2007, 08:06:04 PM
I'm going to sound incredibly jaded but read it through.

Honestly, Fanime isn't the "best place" to meet friends really. The majority of them are social outcasts and they show this at different anime conventions and the such. They're rather open and what not, but most of them aren't "good friends" even if they act friendly. It's got its share of social cliques, crowds and its fair share of assholes and the such.

Then again... so does school.
My turn to put in 2 cents!
There are social outcasts everywhere, across every fandom imaginable. I honestly do not think anime fandom contains a higher percentage of outcasts then anything else. In fact I think we're VERY well behaved. Imagine taking something the size of Anime Expo but replacing the anime fans with sports fans. How well "behaved" do you think people would be...using the same security?

Sure we've got "outcasts" like glompers, people who don't take showers, and men who stalk women but at least we anime fans don't go putting cars on fire, race through the streets, scream at our TV screens, get into drunken bar fights, and urinate on the streets. Sports fans are some of the worst "social outcasts" ever.

Mango Bunny

Quote from: astroboy on December 01, 2007, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 30, 2007, 08:06:04 PM
I'm going to sound incredibly jaded but read it through.

Honestly, Fanime isn't the "best place" to meet friends really. The majority of them are social outcasts and they show this at different anime conventions and the such. They're rather open and what not, but most of them aren't "good friends" even if they act friendly. It's got its share of social cliques, crowds and its fair share of assholes and the such.

Then again... so does school.
My turn to put in 2 cents!
There are social outcasts everywhere, across every fandom imaginable. I honestly do not think anime fandom contains a higher percentage of outcasts then anything else. In fact I think we're VERY well behaved. Imagine taking something the size of Anime Expo but replacing the anime fans with sports fans. How well "behaved" do you think people would be...using the same security?

Sure we've got "outcasts" like glompers, people who don't take showers, and men who stalk women but at least we anime fans don't go putting cars on fire, race through the streets, scream at our TV screens, get into drunken bar fights, and urinate on the streets. Sports fans are some of the worst "social outcasts" ever.

Sports fans are crazy, yes, but also more widely accepted. Sportsmanship yadda yadda. Honor. Something.

We're weirdos who watch Japanese cartoons and go to conventions dressed as the characters.

In short:
Our hobby- Doesn't require leaving the house or much interaction, draws in a lot of the already weird socially inept nerdy kids (No offense! I LOVE YOU GUYS.), and hentai is a part of the genre. Tentacle hentai.
Sports- Teams, loyalty, competition, manliness, coordination, and are usually the more football player types in highschool. They may set cars aflame, but it's only because they are channeling their ancestors' tribes. Or something.
Compare the jocks in highschool to the generic nerdy D&D playing kids. One is widely accepted, one is not.

Of course there are many exceptions, and many crossovers, but this is the general case.
I'd also like to say that in high school I hated the jocks. =P

BunofGovt

I am terribly shy, and yet a show-off (I think that's standard  :-*).  I started by lurking here on the forums and then started posting and getting to know people here.  When the con came around (and actually before Fanime at a different convention) I got a chance to meet the people in person I had only chatted with here.  Keep visiting, and by the time Fanime rolls around, you'll get a chance to meet loads of people you know already.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Glitch

Yeah, to sum things up, don't let this long dialog about outcasts and cliques scare you away. Come to fanime, meet people and you'll be just dandy. I've made friends at cons and have come out ok.

Gatsby

You should go. You'll meet some people who are cool, but you'll also meet some unfriendly people. But it is the nice and cool people you meet that matter. At my first con I went with my high school's anime club, but things got awkward with everyone so I spent the last two days on my own. I met a group of girls and we hung out for around 15 hours straight. Look at it this way, if you make any friends online now until the convention you can always hang with them.

Nyu_x

You should go ^^

I'm homeschooled too, but I just started this year so I go with a few friends.
But hey, if you need someone to hang with, your welcomed! :D

phoenixphire24

You should totally go! Although I usually go with a group of friends, I have never felt left out or unwelcome at Fanime (or any anime con really). Sure there are always going to be grumpy-clicky people, but in general you'll find fun and friendly people!  :D

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas, advice, opinions, and etcetera! :D
It helps me out a lot!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 08:44:48 PM

thats how it is at most cons though. I've made friends at the one I went to o.o; I don't see why you can't.

But it's your opinion and your entitled to it ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxL8DLsEuc&eurl=http://lj-toys.com/?journalid=2454569&moduleid=3&auth_token=sessionless:1193112000:embedcontent:2454569%26

In terms of things I think someone going to a con should not see and think that it's okay to act like this at a con. And don't assume that I, nor Jun can/cannot make friends at a con.

I'm referring to "friendly people at cons" who after the con talk shit behind their backs right after the con about how some idiot tagged along with them and were so annyoing, but when confronted again with them will once again pretend to be all friendly and happy and invite them to tag along.

Ya know... like some of the people on this forum do. Like all of the anons in /cgl/ do. Like all of the drama on LJ's con journals, and cosplay websites appear from. Cosplayers are some of the fakest people, seeing that it reflects their attention whore like attitude to cosplay anyways.

Like I said, there's lots of good people to meet at cons, but the majority are two-faced bastards with lack of social skills/knowledge/graces.

-Pyron

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Reikon

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on December 05, 2007, 10:35:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxL8DLsEuc&eurl=http://lj-toys.com/?journalid=2454569&moduleid=3&auth_token=sessionless:1193112000:embedcontent:2454569%26

In terms of things I think someone going to a con should not see and think that it's okay to act like this at a con. And don't assume that I, nor Jun can/cannot make friends at a con.

Yes. Please listen to these wise words of advice. Think of others before you act like an idiot.

I'm referring to "friendly people at cons" who after the con talk shit behind their backs right after the con about how some idiot tagged along with them and were so annyoing, but when confronted again with them will once again pretend to be all friendly and happy and invite them to tag along.

Ya know... like some of the people on this forum do. Like all of the anons in /cgl/ do. Like all of the drama on LJ's con journals, and cosplay websites appear from. Cosplayers are some of the fakest people, seeing that it reflects their attention whore like attitude to cosplay anyways.

Like I said, there's lots of good people to meet at cons, but the majority are two-faced bastards with lack of social skills/knowledge/graces.

-Pyron

I've never seen the doublefaced people at a con, but I can imagine it happening. Some probably just can't find a way to break it to the person they don't enjoy the company or some are probably shallow attention whores.

Many cosplayers are horribly annoying and shallow people, but there are some decent people doing it because they decided to on a whim. I'd probably avoid them as a whole though, as those groups are the ones that seem to get into drama.

I think the best thing to do is just to find a bunch of people you can get along with, people who aren't trying to get attention or into all the drama that happens at the con, but people just looking to enjoy themselves. I've never been part of the drama I often see posted on the forums, so I've been enjoying myself. Last year, my friends and I just gathered together near the elevators in Hilton and played games with whoever came by. These people were sane and weren't assholes. If you can find people like that, you'll enjoy the con.

So while most of my comments sound negative, don't let it discourage you. There are very good people at the cons. You just need to know how to find them and how to avoid drama. Go at least once and see if you enjoy it. If you find the right people, it'll be a blast.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

Chaye

Quote from: Chaye on November 30, 2007, 08:44:48 PM

thats how it is at most cons though. I've made friends at the one I went to o.o; I don't see why you can't.

But it's your opinion and your entitled to it ^^

-Pyron

o_o;; calm down just a bit.. I didn't mean to cause you to rant on. I'm sorry..

AX Staff
Exhibit Hall: Asst Manager
o(≧∀≦)o

Glitch

Two faced bastards exist in all walks of life. So why go elsewhere when you can be screwed over by people who share your own interest? I know where I'm going. ^^

Mister_E

I know what you mean, none of my frrends love Anime as much as I do and the ones that do are CREEPY!!!

So I go to be around people how love it as much as I, Hell I made some friends along they way.

BUUTTTT I forget their names, it's weak point I always have.

But I know there outfits, one of my friends was a Girl Dressed as Haku from Naruto
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

AnimeEmperor

Just go, I always go alone and I always have fine.

localuvr

Yeah, if you're considering, just go, if only for the experience. I went last year (my first year) and had a ton of fun. Trust me, everything is worth it. And, the people are awesome. I went up to some awesome people, talked, and ended up with better insights on stuff than what I had before. And it's very cool.
I may be wearing the skirt on top, but underneath, I'm wearing the pants.