best hotel?

Started by zemric, December 01, 2007, 03:12:06 PM

which hotel do you think is the best to stay at?

marriot
hilton
saint claire
fairmont

FinalShadows

In any case, if you stick to the 4-person rule, you have nothing to worry about.

As for others, don't try to make such a fuss that a staff member will come to the door.

Enough said.
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Fructose on December 19, 2007, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: PassingTheBuck on December 19, 2007, 10:54:17 AM
Quote from: KyraEnsui on December 14, 2007, 03:23:39 PM
Quote from: Alex-X-Core on December 13, 2007, 05:15:54 PM
haha i wonder how many people we can fit in a room

The maximum should be at least 6 people in the room. I know that's my maximum. I wouldn't go over 6 people though because fire safety hazard. It just depends how much comfort you want in the room or how cheaper the room you want.

Actually, the real answer is four, six is far too many.  The formula for the maximum number of bodies in a hotel room would be the following, multiple by the number of beds by two.  Therefore, two beds will get you four bodies.  You can't get a rollway in a double/double rooms (safety reasons), hence you can't get six bodies (legally) in a room.

The maid staff this year will be on the outlook for people who are stuffing bodies in rooms. 

Privacy signs mean little or nothing to the maid staff, because they need to clean the rooms, whether you like it or not.

They also have to clean up after you leave and the mess from six or ten bodies in a room, after three or four days takes longer to do than if it's done on a daily basis.

Craige...

In regards to the statement about maids being on alert, I don't condone stuffing a billion people into a disgusting hotel room for 4 days by any means, but to what degree will the maids being on the lookout?

I ask simply because in the past, and potentially this year, while not overpacking the rooms, I have had roommates who are simply uncomfortable sharing a bed (in the case of double/double rooms) with another person, so they would bring a sleeping bag or an inflatable mattress and set it up in a spare corner to sleep on. Also, as myself and several of my rommates are avid cosplayers with different costumes each day, we... well, we have a lot of baggage. Garment bags for each outfit and several suitcases for sleepwear and makeup and emergency items and all that. Would the presence of such a setup and abundance of luggage get the front desk called and have an angry representative knocking on our door taking luggage inventory and a head count, or would action be taken only in the instance of OBVIOUS overstuffing, i.e. walking in on 12 people sleeping on the floor and 20 suitcases and a bathroom that boggles the mind?

As long as you keep the room neat and don't cause any noise problems, I don't see why the maids or anyone else would think you had more people in the room. I think they're more suspicious of the very loud rooms where the "Do not disturb" sign is kept up all weekend.  ;) 

Squeeky_Moonkin

So my friends decided to book our roomate the Hilton. The more I read replies on this thread the better the Hilton sounds. The only thing that worries me is the fact that somene mentioned the hotel is smoke friendly. I wonder how good this hotel is with keeping smoking wings away from non-smoking or if they separate them by floors?

BrightHeart76

Hilton does smoking and non-smoking floors, so you should be ok.  My sister and I were on different non-smoking floors last year.  I never smelt any smoke, my sister said she smelt some coming in thru the window, but not bad.  Make sure you make it clear when you check in that you want a non-smoking room as far as away from the smoking floors as possible.  The staff is awesome, they'll do their very best for you.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Moonblossom

Even the smoking rooms didn't smell that strongly (except when my friend was smoking, obviously). They do seem to go to pains to air things out. The armchair in our room smelled more like Febreeze (blech!) than cigarettes, honestly.

YoureMyHiro

Marriott by far has had the best track record in my opinion, staff is always friendly and easy to work with, rooms are spacious and well furnished with great views most of the time, not to mention they have a gym, spa and pool with jacuzzi. Sometimes, I get up in my PJs in the middle of the night, take the elevator to the Arcade, play for a few minutes, and head back, my point? The luxuries of staying a hotel connected to the Con.

Ive heard good things about the Hilton, my homeboy Shinsengumi aka Juan Dizzle, aka Juanzilla, aka Juantanamera, aka Juan-Con, usually stays there with Onicoursemusha and their Salas crew. The only reason I havent changed it up is because I live by the old saying "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Xeluu

I, personally, prefer the Marriott to the Hilton. I've stayed in the Marriott for two years now and love the hotel. The rooms are nice and bright, the beds are comfy, and the maids are very polite. My sister and I went back up to the room last year while they were still cleaning, and they asked if they could finish cleaning since it would only take five minutes. (Of course we said yes, we were just going to drop a few things off and pick up something to drink.) Oh, and it houses some of the video rooms. Staff was also very helpful and polite.

Biggest complaints about the Marriott would be these:
No lock on the bathroom door. I'm serious. It's not a big deal for myself since it's just my sister and I, but I could see potential problems with rooming with strangers there. And, of course, the elevators. They're always packed, regardless of the day. (Except late night.) The elevators I think have to be attributed to the fact that it's a convention.

The thing I didn't like about the Hilton when I went up to a friend's room over there, was the fact that the hotel was too dark, and the hallways seemed rather confined and slightly claustrophobic. I think it has to do with the fact that pilots are generally staying in the Hilton. I'm sure it's a great hotel, but the fact that it was dark when I went over really turned me away from it.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Moonblossom

Heh, sounds like I really am better off at the Hilton. I love the darkness of the rooms there, it was so comforting to me :D

Xeluu

Quote from: Moonblossom on February 04, 2008, 05:35:22 PM
Heh, sounds like I really am better off at the Hilton. I love the darkness of the rooms there, it was so comforting to me :D

It really is a personal preference. XD I like the hotel and rooms to be bright, but definitely understand why people would like them darker.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Moonblossom

I guess I'm whatever the opposite of claustrophobic is. When I was younger I'd hide in this little access panel inside a closet, and I have curtains around my bed here at home. I like being dark and enclosed, it makes me feel safe. I feel lost and disoriented in big open airy spaces.

But I will acknowledge that the Hilton is dark, and the hallways are fairly narrow and dim compared to some other places I've stayed at. So that's definitely a good thing to keep in mind, it never even occurred to me before.

MidnightRosebud

Well, I've only ever stayed at the Marriot, so I suppose I am a little biased.
However, I had a few friends stay at the Hilton last year and their water stopped working in the middle of the night.
Of course, one of the elevators in the Marriot always skipped our floor too...(the eighteenth one I think it was).
But I adored the Marriot. The rooms were very spacious, and clean. The bathroom was a very decent size, and there were plenty of drawers/cuboards/closet space for all of our needs! ^_^
As for the other two...I have absolutely no idea. XP
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy