How do you make an AMV?

Started by JohnnyAR, December 02, 2007, 12:10:40 AM

JohnnyAR

What programs do you need to make an AMV? And also how? I really want to make an AMV, I have some good ideas.

BrightHeart76

That's a really loaded question with a lot of different answers.  There are a lot of different programs you can use, and everyone has an opinion about them.  I'd personally suggest that you go animemusicvideos.org and look thru the forums there.  Some really good information in there.

Good luck!
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Gatsby

That is a tough question to answer.

First the programs I use are Windows Movie Maker and CloneDVD to get the episodes of the anime I need for my AMV.

Probably the most important thing to remember is to pick an anime that fits the song. For example you wouldn't use Elfen Lied with Barbie Girl. But Elfen Lied would be great with Three Days Grace's Animal I've Become.

BunofGovt

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on December 02, 2007, 09:44:57 AM
That's a really loaded question with a lot of different answers.  There are a lot of different programs you can use, and everyone has an opinion about them.  I'd personally suggest that you go animemusicvideos.org and look thru the forums there.  Some really good information in there.

Good luck!

X2

There are several help guides at the site on making amvs - links are on the first page of the website.  Plus there are different sections in the forums where other amv creators have posted questions on different programs for ripping, compressing, editing, etc. which might be helpful to scroll through, depending on what system and software you have.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on December 02, 2007, 08:04:57 PM
That is a tough question to answer.

First the programs I use are Windows Movie Maker and CloneDVD to get the episodes of the anime I need for my AMV.

Yeah I'm going to use Windows Movie maker. It seems easy to use, but its not.

SweetNiar

I found programs like Premier for Windows and iMovie for the Mac were easy to use, but its been ages since i used either one so im not sure if there are better programs out there.

maeiounj39

The easiest place to actually learn is first using windows movie maker. It does get frustrating, but it easy.

First you need to get your footage. Then you need to get your song. Then you import your song and videos. Then drag the song to the timeline. Then drag a clip in the time line. Then mute it. Then repeat dragging clips in, using a variety of effects. Repeat adding clip until you reach the end of the song. Then save your project and then save your movie file. Then if your uploading to youtube, click next twice, then save it as High Quality video NTSC, and then click next. Then wait for the video to finish. Then upload to youtube. If your submitting it, use  DV -AVI for highest quality or leave it as High quality video NTSC for high quality but smaller disc space.

That is the basic. If you really want to know how to use effect, play around with them. Consult animemusicvideos.org for help.

Once you mastered movie maker, start buying other editing program or use virtual dub and consult this guild:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

I even hear that sony vegas is used alot by people. Cause its got layers so you can do different effects, and pletty more effects.

JohnnyAR

Thanks for the help guys. Now all I need to do is to download some anime on to my computer, where can I download some virus free anime?

mDuo13

In my experience, the 30-day trial of Adobe Premier was a better choice than Windows Movie Maker for making one video.

The real trick, though, is managing to get the right footage for your video, properly encoded so that it doesn't look like shit. Fansubs are infamously bad in this regard, and neither Premier nor WMM tends to like certain codecs for importing video. So either you rip DVDs (which is another endeavor in itself) or torrent a high-quality raw file, which can be difficult to find.

zoupzuop2

A good way to start with ANY form of media editing is the "Youtube Poop"-- random formatting of footage, usually with audio replaced with other words or images placed oddly. (It's also hilarious)
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

G.I.R

Quote from: JohnnyAR on April 10, 2008, 09:22:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Now all I need to do is to download some anime on to my computer, where can I download some virus free anime?

... or you could rip it directly from a DVD.  I use (primarily) Yade-X for Macintosh OS-X, but there are lots of applications for Windows, Linux, and OS-X available.  This site will help you a lot.