World Cosplay Summit Qualifiers @ Fanime?

Started by heeroyuy135, December 11, 2007, 07:34:21 PM

heeroyuy135

Maybe not for 2008, but for 2009 or 2010.

I think it would boost Fanime's resume as an anime convention if they decide to host the US Qualifier for the World Cosplay Summit. That would also mean that among the attendees would be world-class cosplayers.

Of course, with all the drama around the WCS and the US crowd, maybe Fanime doesn't want to pick up the job of restoring that US glory in the cosplay world.

So, would it work or not?

ph1shf00d

Eheh.  I hate to be kinda negative/catty, but... the US never had much global cosplay glory to begin with...

...At least, when it comes to WCS.  To be honest, most people know the competition is rigged each year, and the only reason to go would be for the free trip to Japan.  Last time I heard the US made it to WCS, they had a bit of a bad experience, which is probably why we haven't been too big on the competition to begin with.  Although, I don't think we really need that much.  We have more than our fair share of amazing cosplayers, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other countries recognize that, even if it's just a little bit.

Fanime's got a really good attendee count right now, and even without something like WCS, it's just going to grow bigger and bigger.  I say save WCS for a smaller con that might need more attendees/attention.