Greatest Scenes from Phoenix Wright--LIVE!!

Started by Cosplay Cyborg, January 16, 2008, 03:15:40 PM

Cosplay Cyborg

I've been talking to a few people and I've finally decided to post my idea. This is gonna need a TON of people who can help out and be very involved for it to be pulled off. But if we can do it, it'll be great for years to come. I think we can!

Here's a summary of the panel idea:

Ever played the game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney? It's a story-based game for the Nintendo DS that features an attorney named Phoenix Wright who solves murder cases along with his assistant, Maya Fey, a psychic-in-training. On their adventures they meet a lively and interesting cast of characters, ranging from deranged elderly security guards to grudge-bearing movie stars to photographers from the "heartlands" and more!

I came up with an idea for audience participation in solving cases along with Phoenix and company--one that also allows voice-acting and theater hopefuls a chance to test their skills by acting out the cases together. And what better way is there to celebrate the release of the fourth installment of the series (Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - releases in February 2008) than with a live-action court battle that revisits the highlights of the series?

A sign-up sheet can be made and we can pick characters based on who signs up for what part and the people who choose to participate can cosplay as the character they're signed up to be. (That's optional, however.)

The way we can set up our "court" is with some scripts (I can provide these) and a stage with a few podiums or music stands and some microphones. We'll also need a projector that can be connected to a computer and the ROMs of the games. (I can get the ROM myself, I just need someone else to provide the computer.)

I think it would also be neat if the audience acts like the jury, and maybe there can be some kind of door prize as a "thanks for your support" sort of thing. I really hope to be able to set this up. It'll be a lot of fun for the audience and the cast, too.

So I'm thinking I'll start the cast sign up sheet here as soon as I feel that we have enough support. I hope to have a convention experience and for those who participate to feel the same because of the panel. This will be a really fun activity, so I look forward to working with anyone and everyone who wants to help out!

~*~

CHARACTER SIGN-UPS START NOW!!!
Note:  More characters may be added as we go along, so feel free to suggest any character you would like to see in the mock-trial.

P.W. Courtroom Cast Sign-Up Sheet! ~ Chosen on a "First Come, First Served" basis.
[[The format is: username (or nickname) as "character"]]

- The Audience as "the Jury"
- Cosplay Cyborg as "Master of Ceremonies"
- ??? as "Phoenix Wright"
- ??? as "Mia Fey"
- ph1shf00d as "Maya Fey"
- ??? as "Pearl Fey"
- ??? as "Detective Gumshoe"
- ??? as "Miles Edgeworth"
- ??? as "Judge"
- autumnsnow55 as "Franziska von Karma"
- ??? as "Winston Payne"

"Villain" Sign-Up Sheet!
~ Chosen on a "First Come, First Served" basis.

Note:  All of these characters will take part in the opening act, "And I would have gotten away with it, too!" but some will also make appearances in the trials selected to be re-enacted.

[[The format is: username (or nickname) as "character"]]

- ??? as "Redd White"
- ??? as "April May"
- ??? as "Dahlia Hawthorne"
- ??? as "Shelly DeKiller"
- Jyunishinsho as "Luke Atmey"

(More characters can be added by request!)

ph1shf00d

When I saw Phoenix Wright in the title, my heart stopped.

I would TOTALLY dig this.  Holy crappuuuu~~~  I've been dying for more PW Cosplay stuff ever since the sudden infusion of attorney-acid in the recent SacCons/SacAnimes.

It's a perfect coincidence (at least...for me... ^^; )that I've been planning a Maya Fey cosplay for Fanime for a long time.  Now I've got even more of a reason to pull through with my plans. =D

I'm seeing it as sort of a performed Mock Trial thing... Is that right?  And as much as everyone loves the side characters from the different cases, it might also be really fun (but also a bit harder) to come up with an original case with original characters.  If finding substance for the case is difficult, we could always refer to actual historical cases or even some of the in-game cases for twists and stories.

I really hope this can become a reality.  It would be an awesome new tradition for Fanime.

Cosplay Cyborg

@ ph1shf00d ->  You just might be on to something, my friend. A mock-trial with original material would be awesome! I may be able to find someone who can edit the ROMs as if they were an AMV (I've seen it done before) so that the screen with match up with the acting. Also, I will be putting the Sign-Up sheet for character roles in the first post right now. Because you seem so interested, I must ask you this:  Would you like to be our Maya Fey?

ph1shf00d

'Mos def  8)  But I think that a "backup" list might be useful too.  There's still a long time until Fanime, and things could happen that could prevent someone on this list from coming.  People might sign up early in order to get a character they want to do, but may have to change plans later, so~ yeah.  Also, if someone can't make it, it gives more people a chance to indulge in the courtroom chaos. XD

About how long would this event be?  If the cases don't take too long, we *might* be able to have multiple performances, thus giving other people a chance to perform if they want.

This is gonna take a lot of planning and organization, but I'm confident that we can get enough people to help out.  Maybe we should start setting up some 'committees' or getting volunteers to help moderate this. =D

First, though, we'll need to gather more interest... Oh, and we'll probably have to run this by the convention staff, but again, I think after we've gathered interest or assembled a committe. =D

OH BOY I'M EXCITED! >A<

Cosplay Cyborg

@ ph1shf00d -> *adds you to cast* I'm thinking we might have an average sized panel time. Maybe they can even put us in the program? Ooh, that would be so cool! Also, I think we need to spread the word around to other P.W. cosplayers and tell them they won't wanna miss this for the world! Another thing I'm thinking about is a sort of skit featuring the villains from P.W. in their own act... Like we'd call it, "And I would have gotten away with it, too!" We could even open the panel with that! Woooow I'm so very excited!

ph1shf00d

Woot!

Oh, and someone made a thread proposing a cosplay "Murder mystery" game to take place on the nights of the con.  I suggested that we link the murder mystery and the PW trial together (so the trial would be on the supposed murderer of the murder mystery game).  They're pretty much on the same level as us- still just grappling with the idea, thinking about how to organize it and stuff.

Here's the thread- http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8611.0.html

I know a few PW cosplayers too, so I'll definitely drop them a line. =D

petdiekatze

Ohh this looks like an awesome idea. What day were you thinking about pulling it off on?
I am Kitty. Hear me meow.

How do I sound like a good book? Just because I wield a pen does not mean I write myself.

Cosplay Cyborg

Hm... Probably Saturday or Sunday, since those seem like the best days for getting a crowd for the audience. But if anyone has a preference, please do speak up!

Jyunishinsho

I've always wanted to do this. I would like to be Godot but he doesn't seem to be on the list. Secondary...Ace Detective, Luke Atmey!

I've wanted to try and recreate a small crime scene somewhere in the convention center, complete with little clues and tidbits for the crowd to see and make note of. Then on a later day and time, a trial would be held using the objects and evidence involved, also having the crowd try and point out contradictions as thru Phoenix's perspective. It would be good so prizes could also be given out.

Tur713

You're not going to hold any kind of auditions for this? I'd love to voice-act, but I'm unfamiliar with the series. I'd hate to be left out of a role I'd be good at because I missed the first call for the character. Is there somewhere that you could direct me to for more information?

I also have some samples of my voicework on youtube. Look for Sailor Moon Fakedub (the words fakedub have to be jammed together like that when you search for it) by the SailorMooninites. I do all the male voices and some of the females. That's not all I can do, but it'll give you a small example of my range.
Founder - Fanime Dating Dojo

autumnsnow55

i replied to your topic in cosplay.com, but i'm really really anxious about this! i started playing justice for all so i can polish franziska's poses and what not. i know... i'm lame. lolz. anyways, more details for this would be amazing. uhh yeah

Cosplay Cyborg

Well, I'll add those of you who asked for roles in the event right now. Sorry I wasn't around for a while. I was organizing a few things for the event that only I can do. (Getting the ROMs of the games, for example.)

My original plan was that we would let the images on the big screen do all the actions for us--a lot less coordination is needed for this. All we would have to do is put the spotlight on whoever is speaking at the time, and they would follow along in the script. I think we can step it up next year if this goes well.

I'm also still learning how to capture and edit parts of the ROM. I need to figure out how to make the lip syncing work a bit better as well. Any AMV makers' tips would be helpful!

However, if anyone wants to have a meeting to discuss an actual scenario and mock-trial with original material, then that's a whole different story! I'd really love to try that, and if it is possible to set up a meeting in person, I'll try to arrange that with you guys.

I'm already writing the script for the Opening Act--the one that features the baddies and how they "would have gotten away with it, too" if it weren't for that meddling attorney. ^_^

autumnsnow55

OOOOOOOH!!! sounds like so much fun!!! >< >< ><! i would love to meet in person and practice! sorry i can't help with the rom stuff...(knows nothing about amvs and what not) but yeah, this is a really cool idea ^^

G-Force

I would really like to see some characters from "Rise of the Ashes" Damon Gant was one of the most memorable bad dudes in the game and since Ema Skye is in Apollo Justice it would be fitting to do a few scenes from it. Well that's just my opinion.

iidesuyo!

I'm planning to do a Godot... But it's about an 80% chance I'm doing it. I know I can't make it to Fanime on Friday though because of school.

iidesuyo!

Alright... well I'm doing a Godot for sure now! So you can expect me there. Friday I'm most likely going but still unsure, are the PW cosplayers still planning on doing the skit?

kuroi

Sign me up for Dahlia! Or, if we end up doing things with characters from GS4, put me down as a backup for Ema Skye (both are completed as of now, but given a choice, I'd rather do Dahlia and let someone else claim GS4 Ema)

This would be a great idea; I've seen things like this done so many different ways, so I'm really excited for it ^^
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

Rainbow Ichi

Oh wow it sounds fun!!

However, i'm not too familiar with Phoenix Wright Game yet, so far I've finished 2 cases for Justice for All, and I find myself very engaged, by both humor and the awesomeness of the court trials. When will it be held during Fanime, I'd like to know, so I could watch ^^

Oh and "Hold It!"
"Objection"

gawd, i'd love to scream that out loud, however i never got to do it, maybe we should have the audience participate as well :D

P.S.
Check this out, we can make our own case with the game generator :D
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/13/phoenix-wright-case-generator-choose-your-own-objection/
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

Kava

I'm not sure if the original poster will get back here to post anything, so I thought I'd mention that the individual who sent in a panel request for this panel has told me they won't be able to make it to Fanime this year and so can't give a panel.
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

Yuu

Damn. Im too late.

This could quite possibly be the most fun to ever be had at a con. Even better than Cosplay chess, but Edgeowrth is taken.

I think Ill go cry now.