What's the deal with the swap meet?

Started by Kandybar, January 21, 2008, 01:43:30 PM

Kandybar

Hey guys,

I hear about the swap meet all the time, but I don't actually know anything about it and couldn't find it last year - what day is it?  Are there a limited amount of spots?  How does it work - do you bring things to swap, and once you've swapped your stuff for other stuff you're done?  Or is it more like a flea market, where people have things out for display and you pay money?

Thanks!

sunrise-oasis

well, swap meet is like a giant Garage sale....just with some anime or maybe some interesting stuff

SPots however are limited..Last year, it was surrounding the entire buidling's Edge!!! so its kinda big but alot of people did stop by to sell stuff..normally this happens at night, (maybe around after 7pm...maybe after 6pm..
basically fanime will ask for your badge number, and your id!...last time they said you have to be over 18....afterwards they charge you 10 bucks and then they assign you to a spot....

Basically its a place where people are selling their junk so they can hopefully earn some money ^ ^!...
Just a word of caution..Sometimes you might find some bargains or haggle (to buy bundles for a smaller amount of price...)

Another note is you might find something that the Dealers room does'nt have....
hope this helps but I know someone will post something about it!!

Eurobeat King

The last couple of years they had the Swap Meet on Thursday, the pre-reg. evening, and then on Friday, Day 1 in the evening.  The pre-reg. evening can actually get busy because a lot of people do show up around that time.  Friday evening it can get reallly packed, because they allow a LOT of spaces to be used in that room (where the video-games are in the middle) and if you're selling stuff it may be good or bad, depending on if you have what people want.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the swap meet or not this year, since I'm running out of stuff to sell, and i do miss a lot of cosplayers that I could be using that time to take pictures of.  That's the price I pay each year when I do the swap-meet.  Thankfully there's still 3 more days of Fanime after Friday. :)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Shinsengumi

I'm thinking of selling a couple of things, stuff that I didn't want in the first place, but I'm thinking about right now.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Kandybar

So, if you don't have stuff to sell and merely would like to peruse everyone else's goods, do you still have to buy a spot?  Or can anyone who just wants to buy merely wander in off the streets as they please?

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Kandybar on January 22, 2008, 08:13:48 AM
So, if you don't have stuff to sell and merely would like to peruse everyone else's goods, do you still have to buy a spot?  Or can anyone who just wants to buy merely wander in off the streets as they please?

You don't have to buy a spot to look at stuff, but you will need a Fanime badge to enter the Swap Meet room.  The staff does check badges at the door, since it's also where the video-game room is.  (usually)

Keys

The Swap Meet section on the website is already up: http://www.fanime.com/events/swapmeet.html

In summary, buyers need nothing but a convention badge.  Sellers need to obtain floor space.  Because of high demand for floor space on Friday night especially, online pre-registration for this will open closer to the convention proper.  This is not necessary for Thursday which will remain first-come, first-serve.  (Last year, this was anyone who was interested with space for more.)

The event takes place indoors, inside the same exhibit hall that houses gaming.  It is shared space, so please respect attendees and staff of tabletop, arcade, and console gaming!

If you only have a few things to sell, but you know a friend who has more, you can always ask them if they'll sell your things.  In the past I've given a friend a box and a list with prices and my notes about how I feel about going lower and bargaining on certain items.

Because swap meet merchandise comes from the vaults of fans like you, often times you can find older merchandise, including items from series that dealers don't stock anymore.  Also, the swap meet is a great place to buy used dvds and manga.  Because you're right there, you can examine the discs for scratches.  Furthermore, no need to worry about shipping or eBay feedback!

Some more tips:
* Bring cash!  Swap meet sellers aren't going to be able to take credit card.  It's helpful to everyone if you happen to have change. If you're a seller, you should come prepared with small bills
* Not all sellers will have bags.  Buyers might want to be prepared to carry stuff.  Sellers might want to bring clean plastic bags to help out.  Last year, I ended up giving away many plastic Target bags that I would have just ended up recycling anyway.  Reduce, reuse, recycle :)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Eurobeat King on January 22, 2008, 12:30:44 AM
The last couple of years they had the Swap Meet on Thursday, the pre-reg. evening, and then on Friday, Day 1 in the evening.  The pre-reg. evening can actually get busy because a lot of people do show up around that time.  Friday evening it can get reallly packed, because they allow a LOT of spaces to be used in that room (where the video-games are in the middle) and if you're selling stuff it may be good or bad, depending on if you have what people want.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing the swap meet or not this year, since I'm running out of stuff to sell, and i do miss a lot of cosplayers that I could be using that time to take pictures of.  That's the price I pay each year when I do the swap-meet.  Thankfully there's still 3 more days of Fanime after Friday. :)

EUROBEAT KINNNNGGGG!

I need more eurobeat! I hope you can help me. lol...I bought a few CDs from you last year.

Regarding the topic, definitely go to the swap meet! You will find rockin'-awesome deals on everything from anime to video games. I'm hoping they have it every day this year...later of course so Eurobeat King can add tons of cosplay pictures to his collection. lol...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

ININ

Quote from: Keys on January 23, 2008, 07:28:00 PM
The Swap Meet section on the website is already up: http://www.fanime.com/events/swapmeet.html

If you only have a few things to sell, but you know a friend who has more, you can always ask them if they'll sell your things.  In the past I've given a friend a box and a list with prices and my notes about how I feel about going lower and bargaining on certain items.

If you have friends selling at the swap-meet, please try to share space.  I remember 2007 the line for sellers was huge.  I'm selling in Fanime'08 and I find someone to share.  Also, having a friend share space allows one of you watch stuff while the other goes on a bathroom break ;3

Eurobeat King

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 24, 2008, 08:48:34 AMEUROBEAT KINNNNGGGG!

I need more eurobeat! I hope you can help me. lol...I bought a few CDs from you last year.

Regarding the topic, definitely go to the swap meet! You will find rockin'-awesome deals on everything from anime to video games. I'm hoping they have it every day this year...later of course so Eurobeat King can add tons of cosplay pictures to his collection. lol...

I'll think about it as Fanime gets closer. :) 

Chloe

So, when will registration be up?

ININ: Also, Ohsu and I will be selling some stuff this year in the Swap Meet. I noticed earlier you would share your spot.  Are you still open?  We wouldn't mind sharing with you~ :3
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

sunrise-oasis

I NEED THE OURAN HOST CLUB BADGE!!! apparently im abit lost to which version...
Purple or orange o_O!....(ITS for neko-zawa's outfit)! assuming purple is for the Senior year and orange for the sophmore yea>?

Mister_E

I once found a Char Aznable Action figure from 1979, but it was way out of my wallets range, I remember it was $114.00! And it was real not a bootleg.

But I got a lot of real cool stuff dirt cheap too.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

miko of love

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 29, 2008, 10:28:41 AM
Purple or orange o_O!....(ITS for neko-zawa's outfit)! assuming purple is for the Senior year and orange for the sophmore yea>?
I believe one is from the manga while the other is from the anime....

Dragon Ninja

I've got a lot of Anime stuff that I don't really need anymore, so I'll sign up for this swap meet as well.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

redroses3164

sunruse-oasis said it but yeah the purple one is from the manga and the yellow/orange one is from the anime.

I have some spare purple ones I'll be selling if I can get a swap meet spot. =)

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: miko of love on January 31, 2008, 11:44:41 AM
I believe one is from the manga while the other is from the anime....
thanks....
now I have to figure out where to buy them..normally ebay would be the answer but im broke >_<!....
need the money to spend alot more materials for my art table >_<!

livingdeadpoet88

Is it too late to register for the swap meet? I got a lot of old TCG cards i dont want anymore lol

Keys

Swap meet registration hasn't opened yet.

clawmaster

just noticed this and just because i cant help my slef XD *sounds like jerry sinfield* "Whats the deal with the swamp meet?" XDD

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/