Anyone going to AOD?

Started by Mordyan, January 24, 2008, 02:33:33 PM

Mordyan

Is anyone going to AOD (Now called Anime on Display) this February 16th and 17th in San Francisco?
http://www.aodsf.org/

I am thinking about it, because it close by and that weekend happens to be my birthday.

Also who has gone to this before? I know it almost got skipped last year and ended up with only one day late in the year.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: Mordyan on January 24, 2008, 02:33:33 PM
Is anyone going to AOD (Now called Anime on Display) this February 16th and 17th in San Francisco?
http://www.aodsf.org/

I am thinking about it, because it close by and that weekend happens to be my birthday.

Also who has gone to this before? I know it almost got skipped last year and ended up with only one day late in the year.

I went to the one last year, for one day. Let's just say that there isn't much to do there and it was disorganized as well. The console room wasn't even a console room to begin with. The only good thing to do is go to Jtown, but if you don't have a lot of money to spend, it gets boring real fast. Wait for WonderCon dude. You get to do a lot more things plus i'll be going to that instead.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

MisakiFan41

i'll only be there for one day. saturday mostly.

On yet another break....

Shinsengumi

I'm not going either, So I hope you guys have fun.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Eurobeat King

I'll be at Katsucon that same weekend, else I would be attending AOD.  But I'll be at WonderCon the weekend after.   Everyone who's going to AOD, have fun! :)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

OniCourseMusha

Its kind of questionable for me.  So maybe I might check it out since I can take a bus there or maybe not cuz AOD felt like it went downhill for me after 2005.  Missed those time at AOD 2005.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

ultramangaia

I`m not going since I`m going to Wondercon the following weekend.Even though wondercon is an american comic con it has 2 anime rooms,very large dealers room with anime and everything else under the comic and movie sun and some interesting panels and events.I`ve been going to this yearly since the early 90`s.Also on saturday night they alway have a fairly good cosplay contest.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: ultramangaia on January 25, 2008, 06:41:46 PM
I`m not going since I`m going to Wondercon the following weekend.Even though wondercon is mostly American Comic con it has 2 anime rooms,very large dealers room with anime and everything else under the comic and movie sun and some interesting panels and events.I`ve been going to this yearly since the early 90`s.Also on saturday night they alway have a fairly good cosplay contest.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Nightroad

I went to AOD last year, it was fun, but small, I prefer LARGE cons!!! Jtown is GREAT!!! If you go to AOD go down to Jtown too!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

bearmoon

I'm going this year as well, although it's my first time attending. After having attended Fanime and AX, it seems strange to be going to a small con, but I'm still looking forward to it. :3

Finding Happiness Each Day

Cosplays 2011:
Cleo de Nile [Monster High]
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

redroses3164

I'll be going because my friend is insisting...
She wants to go to AOD after our school finals as an "OMG we FINALLY have free time!" kind of thing. XD

Kouri Neko

No, not going..  No one day badges.  The con is small and hasn't been the same since they changed the name from Overdose. 
I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: Eurobeat King on January 25, 2008, 12:38:02 AM
I'll be at Katsucon that same weekend, else I would be attending AOD.  But I'll be at WonderCon the weekend after.   Everyone who's going to AOD, have fun! :)

YOU BETTER BE AT FANIME!!! I KNOW thats the only place you have to attend T_T!!!!

I really liked overdose but I think they are trying to put anime and other cartoons together to be more...friendly towards all animations, like avitar, and video game characters, and (starwars?).
I may go, but so much for table losses O_O!!!!

big special note:::::
JTAF SUCKED !!!!!!! NEVER GO THERE, i was soo heartbroken spending 25 dollars and in the end it was a huge huge dissapointment..I never heard of a hand stamp as our badge....I COuld just get a copic marker and smudge it and just GO IN!!!!ARGH!!!!!!!!

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on January 29, 2008, 10:19:57 AM
I really liked overdose but I think they are trying to put anime and other cartoons together to be more...friendly towards all animations, like avitar, and video game characters, and (starwars?).
I may go, but so much for table losses O_O!!!!

big special note:::::
JTAF SUCKED !!!!!!! NEVER GO THERE, i was soo heartbroken spending 25 dollars and in the end it was a huge huge dissapointment..I never heard of a hand stamp as our badge....I COuld just get a copic marker and smudge it and just GO IN!!!!ARGH!!!!!!!!
I feel ya.  When I looked around JTAF, it was the smallest con that I've ever been to and I almost didn't pay at all, but then Ray caught me and I told him i was very sorry and only payed 5 bux for a day.
Kraken Con Staff

Black Kawaii Kitty

I'd like to go just for the hell of it but with Wondercon right around the corner I think i'll save up my money instead ^_^'
Last AOD we just signed up for the masquerade, hung around a little, and then went off to shop at Jtown ;D. I've already been to one of Vic's panels anyway >.>

Eurobeat King

I admit that the AOD 1-day event this past summer was okay, if anything just to take some nice outdoor pictures of cosplayers by the pool-area.  But other than that, there wasn't much to do.  This year since it's for 2 days, there should be more events, more cosplayers, and hopefully good weather.  But I agree with others in that AOD isn't the same like it used to be.  2005 was the best year, after all, they got PLC as guests and they performed 2 rockin' concerts there!   ;D

Again, to those who are going to AOD in February, have fun!
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

videogirlc

Seeing how they haven't updated their website, or have any events posted, I'm going to skip it. I would rather spend my money at wonder con.

bearmoon

Uwah...it feels like there's quite the bit of negativity...=____= I'll still be trying to make the best of it. I'm still getting excited despite what I've heard. I also joined their forums and some of the frequant attenders seem like nice people. Maybe AOD just needs a little love to be better. Every con starts somewhere, right?

Finding Happiness Each Day

Cosplays 2011:
Cleo de Nile [Monster High]
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

Nightroad

Quote from: bearmoon on February 01, 2008, 10:34:19 AM
Uwah...it feels like there's quite the bit of negativity...=____= I'll still be trying to make the best of it. I'm still getting excited despite what I've heard. I also joined their forums and some of the frequant attenders seem like nice people. Maybe AOD just needs a little love to be better. Every con starts somewhere, right?

Its true despite all the negativity the return goers are the nicest people around and will make you feel welcome!!!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

Magical Senpai

I'll be there. I'm heading the gaming room like I did in 2006.