Nearby Liquor store?

Started by Moonblossom, February 03, 2008, 01:05:42 PM

Moonblossom

Thanks for the offer/suggestion, but I'm coming in early Thursday morning, and would like to be settled into the hotel and waiting and relaxing when my friend gets in :)

IamTetsuo

If I remember correctly you can bring alcohol across state borders if it is for personal use in California.

Just looked it up and yes you are allowed to bring a reasonable amount of alcohol into California for personal use.

Quote23661.1.  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an adult
passenger on board a chartered airplane on a flight which commences
and terminates in the continental United States and which does not
land outside the continental United States, may bring not to exceed
one quart of alcoholic beverages into this State for household or
personal use.  Such alcoholic beverages shall be exempt from state
licensing restrictions.  No person shall bring in more than one quart
of alcoholic beverages during any calendar year pursuant to the
authority granted in this section.

Source: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=23001-24000&file=23660-23673

Moonblossom

Thanks for the info, but I'm travelling across international borders, I'm coming in from Canada. That's the finicky issue. I'm not "commencing" in the United States :(

I'll read through that document though, and see what it says about Canada :)

edit: Yeah, boo. Aside from that caveat you quoted, this is pretty much the law on bringing booze in. And I'm certainly not a liscenced importer.

Quote23661.  Except as otherwise provided in this section, alcoholic
beverages may be brought into this state from without this state for
delivery or use within the state only by common carriers and only
when the alcoholic beverages are consigned to a licensed importer,
and only when consigned to the premises of the licensed importer or
to a licensed importer or customs broker at the premises of a public
warehouse licensed under this division.

IamTetsuo

Oh well actually you're looking for this section if you're coming from Canada:

QuoteThe provisions of this section are not applicable in the case of a
reasonable amount of alcoholic beverages brought into this state by
an adult from without the United States for personal or household
use; except that a California resident returning to the United States
by a vehicle which is not a common carrier, or any adult entering
the United States as a pedestrian, shall be restricted to the amount
of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from the payment of duty in
accordance with existing provisions of federal law.  Such alcoholic
beverages shall be exempt from state licensing restrictions.

Although if you're coming from Canada it probably will be cheaper to just buy alcohol here in the states what with the weak American dollar.  :D

Moonblossom

Ooh, thanks.

And yeah, our dollar's about par now and things tend to be cheaper generally down there ;P So I'll just help, uh, boost your economy! :D

phoenixphire24

I would also suggest, if you're looking for alcohol, the happy hour at Il Forniao (in the Saint Claire). Drinks are regular price, but there's free pizza and other food. It's really worth it overall. We ate tons of pizza and didn't have dinner. And the drinks are delicious.

Moonblossom

Thanks, I might have to check that out. It was mostly just to have a few cocktails in our room in the evenings, but free food's always a bonus.

maridah

Hey Moonblossom! You were reading my mind.
(This is Rachel/Maridah from Deviantart and such :P)
There is a BevMo a fairly short distance from the convention center. I've scoped it out (I know, that's sad... This says bad things for me LOL)
google maps says it's a like 5-7 min drive...I'm not sure how easy that is for you to get to, though w/o a car. It's not walking distance.
If you need a ride, I can guarantee it's a place we will be making a trip to at least once during the con. Feel free to come along. At minimum, we can pick you up something if you don't wanna leave the con.
I don't recommend the 7-11 option. We did that a few AXs ago. Not worth even a short walk for the selection IMO.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: maridah on March 29, 2008, 02:40:01 AM
There is a BevMo a fairly short distance from the convention center. I've scoped it out (I know, that's sad... This says bad things for me LOL)
google maps says it's a like 5-7 min drive...I'm not sure how easy that is for you to get to, though w/o a car. It's not walking distance.
If you need a ride, I can guarantee it's a place we will be making a trip to at least once during the con. Feel free to come along. At minimum, we can pick you up something if you don't wanna leave the con.
I don't recommend the 7-11 option. We did that a few AXs ago. Not worth even a short walk for the selection IMO.
im pretty sure you are referring to the BevMo at the Great Mall; if not, then my bad.

without a car, you can still get there by hopping on the lightrail to the great mall transfer station; if i don't have my wheels by then, I'll be making this trip once during the con. those that want to join me are free to meet up.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Moonblossom

Quote from: maridah on March 29, 2008, 02:40:01 AM

I'll have to talk to Twist, but I suspect he'd be keen on tagging along. He likes booze too ;P. We might pick up snacks and stuff too. Thank you for the offer :D