Happy Lunar New year! 4705 the Year of the Rat!

Started by Mordyan, February 07, 2008, 08:53:29 AM

BrightHeart76

Quote from: mDuo13 on February 19, 2008, 03:54:51 PM
Quote from: ININ on February 19, 2008, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: Tsubasa on February 07, 2008, 10:17:49 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 07, 2008, 10:10:36 PM
Oh yeah, Mikey explained to me recently that Vietnamese people have similar traditions, like preparation and handing out money. Are they red envelopes, too? And go by the same rules? I'm curious. Like... how the tradition is that only married adults can give money away, etc etc.

Yep, we have all of that.  And yes, it's married people -> unmarried people.  As far as I've gathered, we do more or less the same thing.

Even my brother and close cousin who are married give lucky money in the red envelopes to me. 

Waiting for 2010, the Year of the Tiger.
Yes. Oh yes, we Tigers will have our time, and it will be glorious.

ick...I have to wait until 2012 for my sign to come around again!  Go Dragon!
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Long

Yay! Thanks for thinking of the Viet people! Everyone always forgets us, though we're Asian too! xD

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 07, 2008, 10:36:18 AM
Happy Lunar New Year! 恭喜! 恭喜! 新年快樂!

I just recently learned that... Setsubun =/= Lunar New Year in terms of celebration, so still getting over that. Damn you Mikey!

Quote from: Glitch on February 07, 2008, 09:47:25 AM
Happy new year back at ya. What does the rat signify for people born on that year?

I'm not sure what you mean, but here is the Wiki on the zodiac rat --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_%28zodiac%29

I've only reached my 12-year cycle once, as I'm not 24, yet. (Born on the year of the horse.) I remember that it was special when you reached your 12-year cycles, but I don't really remember what I had to do. My grandparents had me wear a silk robe and red undergarments. I also had a special flour cake made for me, but I'm not sure if that's tradition or my grandparents being super nice to me. I'm somewhat curious now, too.

My 12-year cycle was on 2000. We were too afraid of the world ending to do anything special. But I don't think we would have done anything anyway. We barely celebrate Chinese New Years. D: (But not because I'm Viet. It's mostly because I'm half-white and my mom doesn't associate with Viet culture anymore, since she has no family here.)