Tournaments (Fighting Games)

Started by Mizuki, February 12, 2008, 10:50:39 PM

Mizuki

I don't really know where to post this, so if an admin has a problem with it, it's alright.

I know the past 2 years tournaments have been made for the RTS/Guitar Hero and other console games, but I've always been disappointed with the lack of FG tourneys. IIRC 2k6 had a SC3 tourney, and that was all. I'd like it if staff considered tournaments for Fighting Games. I know quite a few people who go to Fanime love fighting games (I sometimes went out in the middle of the night to play some CvS2 last year.) I'm also willing to donate some of my own personal time to run tournaments if need be (Staff, if you can PM me about this, that would be nice) i.e. Melty Blood, CvS2, Arcana Heart.

Thank you.

Barnes

Me want Marvel.
Guilty Gear, CvS2, and Super Turbo would be nice too.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JTchinoy

I spoke to the head of E-gaming during the last fanime meeting about this same concern.

I'm a staff member of video programming but I'm applying to take the position of fighting game tournament organizer/ facilitator as well.  I'm a competitive Tekken play and I'm fairly familiar with running tournaments (assisted in recording matches, setting up matches, and finding MIA players for Norcal Regionals).  If I get the job and we have access to the mentioned games, I'll try to have each game run according to the standard tournament rules of each perspective fighting game.  Tournament brackets and everything.

I'll post again if I'm appointed the position.  If not, I'll at least get tournament brackets for you guys.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 14, 2008, 12:36:37 AM
I spoke to the head of E-gaming during the last fanime meeting about this same concern.

I'm a staff member of video programming but I'm applying to take the position of fighting game tournament organizer/ facilitator as well.  I'm a competitive Tekken play and I'm fairly familiar with running tournaments (assisted in recording matches, setting up matches, and finding MIA players for Norcal Regionals).  If I get the job and we have access to the mentioned games, I'll try to have each game run according to the standard tournament rules of each perspective fighting game.  Tournament brackets and everything.

I'll post again if I'm appointed the position.  If not, I'll at least get tournament brackets for you guys.

I'm kind of the same as you, cept different game. I run MBAC tourneys, ran Evo2k7's at world, run the on-going series called West Toast with Arlieth, etc. I've already PMed the head of the game room so yeah.

sunrise-oasis

knowing the prize for the game its always going to be a gamestop 5.99 video game -_0...
still....
BRAWL!!!!!!!

JTchinoy

Well they might need 2 people to handle so many different games anyhow, so works out for the better.

fighting game count:
MVC2
CVS2
3rd strike
T5:DR (or 6 if it's out... FAT CHANCE)
GGAC
Melty blood
smash
soul calibur 3
naruto (u never know)
bleach (u never know again :p)
did i miss anything??

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Mizuki thanks for the fighting game suggestion.  But the only way to run Fanime Video Game Tournaments is to join E-gaming itself.  We cannot let Fanime Attendees run the tournaments.  Just E-gaming Staff Only.  If you or any Fanime attendee is interested in joining and helping to improve e-gaming, please e-mail me or the E-gaming Department Head Richard Johnson at [email protected]  We will explain what work tasks have to be done to run E-gaming.

We still are accepting all interested Fanime Attendees new and old to join E-gaming and there are tons of open positions to help E-gaming run smoothly.  Putting suggestions is cool but to make it a reality you have to give up your convention time to work 24 hours spread out in all 4 days of the convention. 

We will take all suggestions posted on this thread into consideration.

Jason Estioko
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Narutotaku

Konychiwa hardcore gamers,

It would be interesting to have a mini tourney Friday, Saturday, & Sunday at FanimeCon 2008 for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3. The officially liscensed english version will be available in Marc, 2008. I already pre-ordered on amazon.com    8)
"Time flys when your having fun"(unknown)
"Time blasts off like a NASA space shuttle when you cosplay at FanimeCon"(Narutotaku)
<"http://member.square-enix.com/na/"><"http://member.square-enix.com/na/data/signature/16916.gif">

JTchinoy

Quote from: Tsuchimi Rin-chan on February 14, 2008, 01:40:15 PM
Mizuki thanks for the fighting game suggestion.  But the only way to run Fanime Video Game Tournaments is to join E-gaming itself.  We cannot let Fanime Attendees run the tournaments.  Just E-gaming Staff Only.  If you or any Fanime attendee is interested in joining and helping to improve e-gaming, please e-mail me or the E-gaming Department Head Richard Johnson at [email protected]  We will explain what work tasks have to be done to run E-gaming.

We still are accepting all interested Fanime Attendees new and old to join E-gaming and there are tons of open positions to help E-gaming run smoothly.  Putting suggestions is cool but to make it a reality you have to give up your convention time to work 24 hours spread out in all 4 days of the convention. 

We will take all suggestions posted on this thread into consideration.

Jason Estioko
Like previously stated, I'm already Video Programming staff.  I was notified that E-gaming is short on staff by another video programming member and was told to possibly work between both divisions.  I tried emailing richard but he hasn't replied yet from the email you listed nor [email protected]  Should I just talk to you guys again at the march 9 meeting??

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

JTchinoy I will be seeing Richard in person this coming weekend since we both are staffing the E-gaming room at the Animation on Display Convention at San Francisco's Cathedral Hill Hotel.  For more info go here

http://www.aodsf.org

You along with one other person in the Fanime Forums are trying get in contact with my friend to see if they are in E-gaming or not.  Sorry for the delay in him returning E-mails due to him being busy and all and I will make sure he will get back to you ASAP.

Jason Estioko
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

JTchinoy

Quote from: Tsuchimi Rin-chan on February 14, 2008, 05:53:19 PM
JTchinoy I will be seeing Richard in person this coming weekend since we both are staffing the E-gaming room at the Animation on Display Convention at San Francisco's Cathedral Hill Hotel.  For more info go here

http://www.aodsf.org

You along with one other person in the Fanime Forums are trying get in contact with my friend to see if they are in E-gaming or not.  Sorry for the delay in him returning E-mails due to him being busy and all and I will make sure he will get back to you ASAP.

Jason Estioko
Thanks a lot.  If all you need to do is send me the staffing invite when the staff pages are up, just let me know so I'll just wait for that.  See you at the next meeting.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Shinsengumi

How about a Hokuto No Ken tournament?
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

PyronIkari

Shinsengumi

You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

PyronIkari

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Emerge

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 16, 2008, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on February 16, 2008, 11:53:23 AM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on February 15, 2008, 11:41:56 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on February 15, 2008, 07:59:00 PM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on February 15, 2008, 01:40:30 AM
You mean a Toki tournament?

Fist of the North Star Tournament.

You obviously did not get the joke -_-.
explain, i dont get it either :)

based on the implication Pyron provided and a certain video on youtube i saw (whether that video holds any merit is beyond me; i never-ever touch HnK), Toki is a broken character.

in any case, i second that GGAC tourney if this is the right place to do so

JTchinoy

ok got it.
so it's like saying mvc2 is a 6 character game.

i'll try to help get all the games i listed up for tournaments, even if im not e-gaming staff.
i have a japanese ps3 i can lend (strictly during my presence) for any of the games that don't have a US release.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 15, 2008, 07:59:00 PM
Quote from: Shinsengumi on February 15, 2008, 01:40:30 AM
You mean a Toki tournament?

Hahahaha, the game is beyond Toki now, and I doubt people coming here would be able to pull off his insane teleport combos, I'd be more afraid of day 0 Yuda.

bahamutknightzero

I would like to see a good variety of fighting game tourney choices (if it is a game I own currently, it would probably give me some incentive to try out any of the tourneys).