Official E-Gaming Tournament list/ rules

Started by JTchinoy, February 27, 2008, 12:16:37 AM

PyronIkari

Quote from: HentaiTentacleDemon on March 05, 2008, 11:43:28 AM

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/California/

TIP: do a word search for "tournament"

"Contest" does not include a sporting event, performance, or tournament of skill, power or endurance between participants who are actually present.

It's illegal. It's like, playing poker with friends for money at home. It's illegal. No one cares, but it doesn't change that it's illegal. But when we're talking a huge event like this... it could cause problems since "the convention is supporting gambling/underaged gambling" illegally. Plus, there's all the stipulations even if it wasn't to make it not illegal. Fully written rules must be presented, all stipulations etc. which is a pain and a half to even attempt to do.

You can't charge money.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I guess Ill have a go.

paying a Tornament entry fee is not gambling. If it was, then MLG would be gambleing. Youre not really gambling anything. You pay, you play, and you might win, getting you a prize. The entry fee is for more or less to pay for expenses  such as electricity, equipment, and the like, and for the people running the tournament. Simply put, if paying to enter a tournament is gambling, then paying to play a game at Chunky Cheese for tickets is GAMBLING

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Of course none of this matters because the tournaments are free...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Sunara Ishi

Seeing as most of these games have caps for players, how will sign ups work? I never actually played a tourney at fanime so I don't know. I think I would like to be in on Brawl and MBAC.
Will it be the same day? A few hours before? I'm sure there'd be a huge crowd rushing to sign up so I'd like to be prepared to be early enough.

Well.. MBAC if I improve by fanime. I might join anyway just for the fun of it.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

JTchinoy

We'll have sign up sheets in the E-gaming room as of Friday afternoon all the way until the tournaments.

I'll print out these rules and have them taped next to the sign up sheets.

And while we're at listing illegal tournaments, add EVO qualifiers to the list of illegal tournaments since you have to pay to enter :) I am pretty sure EVO is a larger event than our E-gaming tournaments and it'll be a hell of an act to convince them that charging for qualifiers is illegal.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 05, 2008, 11:47:21 PM
We'll have sign up sheets in the E-gaming room as of Friday afternoon all the way until the tournaments.

And while we're at listing illegal tournaments, add EVO qualifiers to the list of illegal tournaments since you have to pay to enter :) I am pretty sure EVO is a larger event than our E-gaming tournaments and it'll be a hell of an act to convince them that charging for qualifiers is illegal.

Ugh... I like how someone else linked something to me, which ended up agreeing with me, and none of you are even bothering to read what was said. Instead you're just going "WELL NU-UH SO AND SO DOES IT TOO!"

abcbadcat

I hope someone will have a Wii with brawl set up on like Saturday night at 4am.

Prime time gaming time at 4am.

:D

JTchinoy

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 06, 2008, 08:05:11 AM
Quote from: JTchinoy on March 05, 2008, 11:47:21 PM

Ugh... I like how someone else linked something to me, which ended up agreeing with me, and none of you are even bothering to read what was said. Instead you're just going "WELL NU-UH SO AND SO DOES IT TOO!"
Oh I read that link just fine.  It says that competitions of sport, skill, chance, power, or endurance are not "contests".  "contests" are, from what I took from that link, sweepstakes.  Those crap "contests" where you solve a crossword puzzle or riddle and turn it in and hope that you win.  It also states that if there's a tie in one of these that the people need to be notified and that any extra payment beyond "postage and shipping" is OPTIONAL.  Effectively any real competition with a tangible prize is illegal in California based on that article if it REQUIRES an entrance fee of any sort from what I took of it.

Don't assume we can't read.  And get your illegal tournament debate out of the E-gaming tournament thread.  This thread is for people to know that fanime is having a tournament, not for peope to debate what tournaments are illegal.  And nobody cares if they're illegal or not because they've been going on for years and nobody's stopped them.  If nobody's stopped them up to now, why are they going to start?  Go make a thread outside of this about it if you want to continue.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

HentaiTentacleDemon

so will there be an entry fee or not?
and if so, then how much will it be?

JTchinoy

As stated in my post like... 3 posts ago, no entrance fee.
You guys are either staff of fanime or attendants who paid admission to fanime.
These tournaments are first come first serve, "free" tournaments.
Our tournaments have unconfirmed sponsors, so even though there's no entrance fee you should be getting some worthwhile prizes :)
Hope to see you there.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 06, 2008, 10:53:25 AM
Oh I read that link just fine.  It says that competitions of sport, skill, chance, power, or endurance are not "contests".  "contests" are, from what I took from that link, sweepstakes.  Those crap "contests" where you solve a crossword puzzle or riddle and turn it in and hope that you win.  It also states that if there's a tie in one of these that the people need to be notified and that any extra payment beyond "postage and shipping" is OPTIONAL.  Effectively any real competition with a tangible prize is illegal in California based on that article if it REQUIRES an entrance fee of any sort from what I took of it.

Don't assume we can't read.  And get your illegal tournament debate out of the E-gaming tournament thread.  This thread is for people to know that fanime is having a tournament, not for peope to debate what tournaments are illegal.  And nobody cares if they're illegal or not because they've been going on for years and nobody's stopped them.  If nobody's stopped them up to now, why are they going to start?  Go make a thread outside of this about it if you want to continue.
Contests are legal. If it doesn't fit into the category... it is NOT a contest therefore, illegal. Sweepstakes are a different category all together.

And you're right. Any real competition with a tangible prize is illegal in California if the prize is reflective monetarilly. Basically, you're putting in money, in an attempt to win someone else's money. Hence... gambling. There's also other issues, such as copyright issues.

JTchinoy

*points at illegal tournament fees thread*

I'm not commenting on this subject anymore outside the thread I created.

Update:
Japan Video is sponsoring our import game tournaments!! Prizes in original post NOW!!

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Wowowowowowowow!

You're using the now obsolete, and really buggy version of GG^c? The japanese version is filled with so many unplayable bugs now that the American version is released that is as close as we can get to arcade perfection. Unless ofcourse you're using GGAC+ (Jpn bugfix version)

JTchinoy

Oh, sorry I didn't put the confirmation that GG AC will be the plus version.
I've talked to many GG players along with my boss and we're confirmed to be using GGAC+.
:)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

clawmaster

is there any pc tournys going to be going on?

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

HentaiTentacleDemon

Quote from: JTchinoy on February 27, 2008, 12:16:37 AM
-If you are not present when called for your match you will forfeit 1 game if we have to do a different match.  If you are not present after the replacement match you will forfeit that match.
can i just leave my cell phone number for you to call me when my turn comes up? i'm willing to pay you for this service.

JTchinoy

There won't be any special treatment given.  Just like any organized tournament you must remain in the tournament area as long as you are still within the tournament.  If you're entering in more than 1 tournament, it's even less practical for you to leave the area since you may be in matches back to back.

If, however, you have to go to the bathroom or you have an emergency you must attend to for say... 10 minutes, I will allow you to leave the area and I will push your next match as far back as possible.  If you leave the area without a valid reason, you will be penalized 1 game as stated.

Which reminds me, I need to clarify on multiple entrants in my original post :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mizuki

Quote from: JTchinoy on March 07, 2008, 12:28:14 AM
Oh, sorry I didn't put the confirmation that GG AC will be the plus version.
I've talked to many GG players along with my boss and we're confirmed to be using GGAC+.
:)

Okay, that's nice, I was going to get worried.

Quote from: HentaiTentacleDemon on March 07, 2008, 12:46:58 PM
Quote from: JTchinoy on February 27, 2008, 12:16:37 AM
-If you are not present when called for your match you will forfeit 1 game if we have to do a different match.  If you are not present after the replacement match you will forfeit that match.
can i just leave my cell phone number for you to call me when my turn comes up? i'm willing to pay you for this service.

This is actually more of an inconvenience than if you were to be missing. As being a tournament runner myself I want my competitors to be there, not any of this "Call me okay" or "I'll do this if you call me." You can hope that if you give a headsup that that if you possibilily might not be there they MIGHT give you a 5 minute leway or the sort. It's being courteous to the tournament hosts, they're spending their own time to run it. So be there or be square basically.

illuminazn

JTChinoy,
I was just wondering if you still needed help with the CoD4 rules and such, as I can provide help for you along with advice.
If you need me, just send me a message and ill get back to you ASAP.

Don't want you to take the burden alone.

"How long can an unprotected human being stand up against automatic rifle fire?"
"A heartbeat, sir."
http://www.rangersection.co.nr/
Airborne Ranger Elite Section

Nujabes + Shing02 rocks :D

Emerge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the /\C+ bug fixes identical to the fixes that came with the US /\C release or are there a few more that the US version missed (and yeah...Kliff and Justice, but no one's gonna use 'em anyway)?