All Types of Dancing

Started by Makou, March 22, 2008, 05:48:53 PM

Makou

So, for my senior project, my classmate Omar and I decided to do some of the styles that fall under Hip Hop and B-boying.

I just went to my first break dancing lesson, and to put it simply, it rocked; I, uh, got rocked. Top rock, Six step, L-plants, Handstands. God, the foundation of B-boying was breaking me. All. Over. But, to be honest, it was really fun. How about you guys? Any dance you do and enjoy? Any tips for me? Any videos that you guys like (hint, hint: JabbaWockeeZ).

Btw, I'm very interested in Popping and Locking.

cappeh

the first time i took a dance class i was like 4. i took tap and ballet at a community center lol.

then in 6th grade i took a dance class at my middle school and my teacher was amazing for teaching technique, despite being a PMS queen. we mainly did jazz but also did tap, hip hop, and ballet. in 8th grade i was on our school's dance team and went to a few competitions, and i almost got to dance at disneyland too, but i strained my ankle a week or so before ;___;

so i've been dancing on and off ever since then. i'm taking modern dance at my college right now but the teacher is so lenient it's boring. :(

i wanna take hip hop at a studio over the summer again, hip hop's my favorite genre.

oh and i also parapara a bit lol?

btw i've never done much b-boying, the best i can do is maybe a coffee grinder lol @~@ you need a lot of upper body strength. but generally with hip hop, energy is the most important thing i think.
hi i lav u

Jun-Watarase

As you know, I was taking some poppin' and lockin' classes but due to circumstances, I have to put it off for the summer or next semester... but I want to take up bboying. Hip hop dance styles have a very intricate culture to them, so I'm super glad you're looking into this.

... but...

KABA GOT SENT HOME AND LOST TO STATUS QUO? WORLD. ENDING.

I mean, SQ is good... but not good enough to be the best. Jabba is going to win, no questions asked. If they defy the law of nature once again, there's going to be a riot.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

cappeh

wtf kaba got sent home? no way!
they were my favorite!

they were so cute :(
hi i lav u

JTchinoy

I tried breaking for a year, but I didn't have good teachers so I couldn't get a windmill down in that time.  Also they weren't good at helping my imagination so I couldn't improve my battling very well.

I'm learning how to lock now, as Jun knows, and I enjoy this form very much.

I also loathe watching break battles due to their cocky nature and repetitiveness of power moves that I find very dull after a while.

If you're going to learn to break, make sure that you got a unique top rock and footwork and combinations IN TO power moves.  Power moves are nothing more than crowd pleasers from what I've been taught.  It's like the icing on the cake.  Oh and remember to emphasize your arm penis because there's going to be arm penises in your face a lot so you'll have to do them at some point.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Kazuko

I used to be part of a Peruvian folk dance group waay back in the day. we were called Ninos del sol (children of the sun) it was weeks of foot work which was simple and learning to be in sync with everyone in the group. I love to do it again sometime but there arent many peruvian dance troupes here =( and I hope one day to bring it into the light.

I took an Intro to dance class in HS but i stopped taking it because the teacher wasent going into the dances as I thought she would and the girls did it half assed most of the time. I loved dancing ballet and Hip Hop there, I hope to take hip hop or swing this summer

I did dabble in some swing with my ex boyfriend he taught me some steps X3 and I just followed for me dance is very easy to pick up and I could learn it in a couple of minutes or an hour depending on the difficulty of the dance

KABBA SHOULDNT HAVE GONE HOME D:<

Jabba better win it!

JTchinoy

I think Randy Jackson is going to get lynched is Jabba doesn't win.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

cappeh

Quote from: Kazuko on March 22, 2008, 10:27:45 PM
I took an Intro to dance class in HS but i stopped taking it because the teacher wasent going into the dances as I thought she would and the girls did it half assed most of the time. I loved dancing ballet and Hip Hop there, I hope to take hip hop or swing this summer
i can't staaaaaaaaaaaand it when people do their dances half-assed. like they even do it during performances! wtf dance was never a required course in my schools so if they're taking it voluntarily why wouldn't they try i don't get people >:( !

but if you live near san jose, studio 10 has an excellent hip hop class. i'm probably going there again during summer. we cood danse togethar lols
hi i lav u

Jun-Watarase

I can't believe Status Quo is in the lead... ;__;

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Moogleborg

I've taken modern dance for a few semesters over at college, and i'm hoping to continue it eventually, as well as take hip hop, break dancing, and other types of dances. I'm also in the process of learning capoeira, muay thai, and various other martial arts styles to create a Martial Arts Dancing style of my own. ^_^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.