Old school?

Started by Amon_Devilman, March 23, 2008, 12:38:30 AM

KojiKaze

The unfortunate effect of having an old school room, is that it tends to be a dark barren room, that is frigid cold cause the AC is on high and no one is in it.  (Well, maybe 1-2 people will show up)

The other half is that most of the old school stuff is probably licensed, so Fanime would have to show their versions of the series.
And if it dubbed or edited, even fewer people would probably show up.

Amon_Devilman

If Fanime does man up and make an old school room, I'll show. As long as they actually include in huge effin' letters that they actually have one, I'm there.

Zero_Kirby

Quote from: Amon_Devilman on April 11, 2008, 03:03:27 PM
Quote from: Nyxyin on April 11, 2008, 11:53:43 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMPrincess Knight
That was an anime too?  I'd love to see that!  I'd be interested in sampling some of the really ancient stuff that nobody's ever heard of before, like "Sora Tobu Yuureisen", "Jarinko Chie", "Sero Hiki no Goushu", "Periinu Monogatari", "Mirai Shounen Konan", "Esteban", "Romio no Aoi Sora", "Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri", etc.  For the TV series, probably only one episode is enough, but it'd be great to have a sample.

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMI'm sorry, Gundam Wing is not old school. UC Gundam is old school, along with Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Cutey Honey, Macross, Akira, Project A-Ko, Lum, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Memories, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon is borderline old school
I don't think Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon should count as old school either.  Anything that played on a major US TV station after 1990 should be disqualified from being called "old school".

Dragon ball and Sailor Moon, when dubbed, are not old school. However, given how little the subs are showcased publicly due to the sheer size of the fansubbing community behind those shows, and the slow but sure disappearance of interest from those shows (as noted by how many cosplayers you see anymore of those shows) showcases a serious case for them being old school.

Seriously, remember when the joke "Maximum Sailor Moon Cosplayers only to a hundred" made sense?

Dragon ball is old school but still it was made 1986 not DBZ

raltga

old school room would be awesome!

my suggests (trying to keep them ones not yet said):

future police urashiman (this show is dope! think a bad ben stiller and owen wilson comedy with time travel), captain harlock, galaxy express 999, 8 man, kimba the white lion, any old masterpiece theatre anime (Romio no Aoi Sora is one that someone has posted earlier, that one is probably my favorite of the masterpiece theatre anime).

salomei

i defintiely would be interested in 8 man and Mazinger Z and Urusei Yatsura, etc. (aforementioned classics)

Is 3x3 Eyes too new?  I really loved that anime when I was a child...its so good! 
-"The gay sex is just a euphemism for male bonding!"
-"Oh if I had a magic wand...I'd show her a fancy la la."
-"Steam, the world can be saved by steam!"

(i love This is Otakudom, greatest parody EVER)

raltga

3x3 eyes (while i really like it) came out in 1991 I think, 2 years after DBZ (1989). 

It seems to me that the "cut-off" so to speak should be Dragon Ball Z 1989; any anime produced post DBZ (i.e. all 90s anime and later) should be considered "new school."

otakuya

I'd rather like to call older anime series "classics" rather than "old school". I'm still big fans of titles like Ranma 1/2, Slayers, and Saber Marionette.

Ah. Those were the days. They don't make them like they used to anymore.

Mizuki

All these posts and NO mention of Hokuto no Ken? WHAT IS THIS? Do you guys NOT know your roots?

Nyxyin

Quote from: Otakuya on April 21, 2008, 04:38:26 PMI'd rather like to call older anime series "classics" rather than "old school".
I think they're different sets.  Not all "old school" anime are "classics", and people throw around terms like "instant classic", so not all classics are "old school".

Amon_Devilman

Quote from: Mizuki on April 22, 2008, 12:35:32 AM
All these posts and NO mention of Hokuto no Ken? WHAT IS THIS? Do you guys NOT know your roots?

D'oh! I knew I was forgetting something.

Kandybar

Hey, I'd come. :)

And y'all may boo me for this, but what about Voltron?  The original, not the crazy spin-offs.

Nyxyin

Quote from: Kandybar on April 23, 2008, 08:51:49 AMAnd y'all may boo me for this, but what about Voltron?  The original, not the crazy spin-offs.
You only get a boo because you called it "Voltron" instead of "GoLion".  I'd so totally be up for GoLion!  I don't think Fanime can show it, though, because I think it's going to be released on R1 the day right after Fanime is over.  Although Media Blaster has a dealers room thing, so maybe they'll surprise us with a sneak peek?  That would totally rock!

Amon_devilman

Must... keep old school thread... noticed! *lifts thread higher on the list*

Nyxyin

I think that's enough for this year.  The video schedule has already been posted (the otaku god said so on http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9279.0.html at April 27, 2008, 11:43:43 AM in case you missed the thread), so it's been up for over a week.  If they change the schedule, they will probably disappoint lots of people at this point.

Save your energy for May 27th.  On that day, let's start lobbying for more old school anime in Fanime 2009!

Haruka

I'm reviving this thread, because I think it's a great idea.  Can we get an old-school room for '09?  I'm talking seriously old-school like the stuff mentioned previously, Otaku no Video (live action, I know, but hilarious!), Sailor Moon (1st or 2nd season subbed), Urusei Yatsura, Tenchi Muyo!, Lupin III y'know, old stuff that got the 25+ crowd into anime.  And GoLion.  Seriously, as marathon late-at-night awesomeness.   
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

rl8600

I'm glad to see that there are people out there that can appreciate the old school like Tekkaman Blade and Maison Ikkoku.

Kandybar

Oh, hey, I hadn't noticed that we hadn't brought it up yet for '09.  Woot woot, Old school!  Please?

CabbitJay

It would be nice to have more old school anime at the con even if it didn't have it own room.

the otaku god

Hello Everyone,
your voices have been heard and now you got your own room. more details tonight on what we plan on showing you. but lets just say this:
fri: 60's-70's
sat: 80's
sun: 90's
mon: free for all

we are trying this out one last time. if there is no support for older anime we will not have a huge block like this ever again. so please come in to video room 5 (nostalgia room) and see the roots of anime!
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

the otaku god

Hi Everyone,
heres the line up,
fri;
Ashita no Joe, Lupin III TV, Kimba The White Lion, Astro Boy, Captain Harlock,Galaxy Express 999 tv, Devilman tv, Getter Robo tv, The Rose of Versailles, Cutey Honey tv
sat;
Glass no Kamen, Kimagure Orange Road, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Fist of the North Star, Space Adventure Cobra, CB Chara Go Nagai World, Dirty Pair tv, Project A-ko, Area 88 (aka U.N. Squadron)  oav 3, Nadia, Bubblegum Crisis, Vampire Hunter D, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
sun;
Eat-man 98, Guyver oav, Utena, Rayearth, Nadesico, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Ranma 1/2,  Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Spring and Chaos, Evangelion, Video Girl Ai, Boogiepop Phantom, Now And Then, Here And There
mon;
Conan, the Boy in Future, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Violinist of Hamelin, Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman, Sailor Moon tv, Fushigi Yugi tv

late night we got special treats for you;
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure eps 8-13, Golden Boy, GeoBreeders, The Hakkenden : The Legend of the dog warriors, 3X3 Eyes eps 1-4, Kishin Corps Geo-Armor, Lain, Crying Freeman, Angel Sanctuary, Phantom Quest corp.

well i hope this all please you and can't wait to see ya at the con!
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.