Old school?

Started by Amon_Devilman, March 23, 2008, 12:38:30 AM

Amon_Devilman

Can we please get an old-school anime room? I mean, seriously, some of the best shows I've seen are old school. Let's get some classic stuff like Mazinger Z, Grendizer, Cutey Honey, Gundam classic, something...

Cowpunk

I agree! It would be great to have more of the 1970s and even 80s shows. Devilman, Cobra, Goku Midnight Eye, Ace o Nerae!, The Rose of Versailles, Tomorrow's Joe, there are so many titles.

If you want to go real old school you could intersperse short titles from Digital Meme's DVD collection of early anime. Silent with benshi accompanyment and subtitles.

After all it's not really old school if it's in color.
Gilles Poitras
Obsession: Anime

zoupzuop2

Ummm, is Ranma too "new-school" for this whole thing? Like, the first few seasons or whatnot.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Amon_Devilman

At this stage, Ranma is just what we need, along with 70's and 80's anime.

AdamWest

I'd love it if they played the old Getta Robo and Getta Robo G series (known as Starvengers in the States).  I think Getta Robo G was the very first anime I watched back in my kindergarten years =P

Shinsengumi

Put on the Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors), and Space Battleship Yamato
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Nanashi

What kind of old school room would it be without a nice, solid block of Mach GoGoGo (Speed Racer)?

Also, Bubblegum Crisis would be cool too.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

lyricaldanichan

We actually did show old school anime.. nobody watched it.. :(

If there is some huge request (more then 50 people), we can give it a go again but yeah...

Amon_Devilman

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on March 31, 2008, 05:58:39 PM

If there is some huge request (more then 50 people), we can give it a go again but yeah...

You heard it people! Let's give it our all. And this time, let's make the most of the room (hopefully, they advertise it as such)!

Shinsengumi

Don't forget Saint Seiya and Giant Robo
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Xeluu

I'd definitely be interested if you guys did an "old school" room. Last year I don't think I wound up spending long in the video rooms at all due to just a general disinterest.

Something like this could be really fun, especially if it was well advertised. :D
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Nanashi

I would have been there if I had known about it. Maybe you guys just need to advertise better.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

lyricaldanichan

Quote from: Nanashi on April 03, 2008, 07:03:50 PM

I would have been there if I had known about it. Maybe you guys just need to advertise better.

I think we would if we didn't have other problems last year :(

Actually it would be awesome to do a KOR marathon, too bad AnimEigo doesn't have the rights to it
anymore.

Shinsengumi

Put on Urusei Yatsura

Chocolate Lover

The problem is that today's anime fan would consider Gundam Wing "old school."

Fans today know everything about Inu Yasha and yet know nothing about Ranma or Lum.

They have no interest in seeing their father's anime.

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: Chocolate Lover on April 08, 2008, 11:48:37 AM

Fans today know everything about Inu Yasha and yet know nothing about Ranma or Lum.

I'm sorry, Gundam Wing is not old school. UC Gundam is old school, along with Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Cutey Honey, Macross, Akira, Project A-Ko, Lum, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Memories, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon is borderline old school, Samurai Troopers, Lupin the 3rd TV, Dirty Pair TV, Meitatei Tanten Conan, Mazinger Z, Uchu Senkan Yamato(StarBlazers), Ideon, Astro Boy, Princess Knight, and other anime that was aired between 1968-1991 is old school. anything after that is new school and that includes Gundam Wng and the other AU Gundam series, and Evangelion onwards till now. i
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PM

I'm sorry, Gundam Wing is not old school. UC Gundam is old school, along with Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Cutey Honey, Macross, Akira, Project A-Ko, Lum, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Memories, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon is borderline old school, Samurai Troopers, Lupin the 3rd TV, Dirty Pair TV, Meitatei Tanten Conan, Mazinger Z, Uchu Senkan Yamato(StarBlazers), Ideon, Astro Boy, Princess Knight, and other anime that was aired between 1968-1991 is old school. anything after that is new school and that includes Gundam Wng and the other AU Gundam series, and Evangelion onwards till now. i

I agree to that.

Amon_Devilman

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PM

Oh admins who can talk to video people! This is a list of stuff for the old school room! ^___^

Nyxyin

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMPrincess Knight
That was an anime too?  I'd love to see that!  I'd be interested in sampling some of the really ancient stuff that nobody's ever heard of before, like "Sora Tobu Yuureisen", "Jarinko Chie", "Sero Hiki no Goushu", "Periinu Monogatari", "Mirai Shounen Konan", "Esteban", "Romio no Aoi Sora", "Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri", etc.  For the TV series, probably only one episode is enough, but it'd be great to have a sample.

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMI'm sorry, Gundam Wing is not old school. UC Gundam is old school, along with Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Cutey Honey, Macross, Akira, Project A-Ko, Lum, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Memories, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon is borderline old school
I don't think Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon should count as old school either.  Anything that played on a major US TV station after 1990 should be disqualified from being called "old school".

Amon_Devilman

Quote from: Nyxyin on April 11, 2008, 11:53:43 AM
Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMPrincess Knight
That was an anime too?  I'd love to see that!  I'd be interested in sampling some of the really ancient stuff that nobody's ever heard of before, like "Sora Tobu Yuureisen", "Jarinko Chie", "Sero Hiki no Goushu", "Periinu Monogatari", "Mirai Shounen Konan", "Esteban", "Romio no Aoi Sora", "Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri", etc.  For the TV series, probably only one episode is enough, but it'd be great to have a sample.

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 08, 2008, 12:35:54 PMI'm sorry, Gundam Wing is not old school. UC Gundam is old school, along with Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Cutey Honey, Macross, Akira, Project A-Ko, Lum, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Memories, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon is borderline old school
I don't think Dragon Ball or Sailor Moon should count as old school either.  Anything that played on a major US TV station after 1990 should be disqualified from being called "old school".

Dragon ball and Sailor Moon, when dubbed, are not old school. However, given how little the subs are showcased publicly due to the sheer size of the fansubbing community behind those shows, and the slow but sure disappearance of interest from those shows (as noted by how many cosplayers you see anymore of those shows) showcases a serious case for them being old school.

Seriously, remember when the joke "Maximum Sailor Moon Cosplayers only to a hundred" made sense?