Any More MusicFest Bands Or Are We Set?

Started by Shi_Musouka, April 04, 2008, 05:28:17 PM

Shi_Musouka

I'm asking this on behalf of a few people who have been curious about this subject as well as myself.

I was just wondering if Fanime plans on having any additional bands playing for MusicFest, not that I have a gripe with An Cafe or anything, but it would be a shame to see Friday's MusicFest stage empty. :[

Or is MusicFest staff still working hard at it as always because there's still stuff going on that can't be confirmed quite yet? I know that some people here take the MusicFest staff for granted sometimes because the con hasn't had too many big name musicians at our venue before and that some of them don't really know about the hard work that you guys put into the con for FREE. Bluntly put, I don't know exactly how much time and effort is exactly put into planning such an event, but I assume it must be LOTS of it.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it or anything though... It's moreso concern about why the band list seems a bit empty compared to previous years. I know a huge amount of people already plan on seeing An Cafe as it is, but I'm sure some of us would be glad to see some other bands as well for Friday's MusicFest when the 3,000 capacity isn't bursting at the seams.

I just ask because it's not too far from con and we usually have a few bands announced at the least. Or is it possibly because the MusicFest staff is content with what they have so far? Just curious...

Go ahead and delete if someone already posted a topic like this...

Mister_E

I just want to know when An Cafe is going to preform. I got work it into my plan of action.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Tony

Point by point!

Quote from: Shi_Musouka on April 04, 2008, 05:28:17 PM
I'm asking this on behalf of a few people who have been curious about this subject as well as myself.

I was just wondering if Fanime plans on having any additional bands playing for MusicFest, not that I have a gripe with An Cafe or anything, but it would be a shame to see Friday's MusicFest stage empty. :[
Oh, there's no way in hell the civic is going dark on Friday!

QuoteOr is MusicFest staff still working hard at it as always because there's still stuff going on that can't be confirmed quite yet?
That's exactly the case. We've got a bunch of money tied up in negotiations for the next headliner, and until that's a) resolved or b) dissolved, we can't move on to the next option (because there's no additional money).

QuoteI know that some people here take the MusicFest staff for granted sometimes because the con hasn't had too many big name musicians at our venue before...
Hey, we had Chisato last year...  :-\

Quote...and that some of them don't really know about the hard work that you guys put into the con for FREE. Bluntly put, I don't know exactly how much time and effort is exactly put into planning such an event, but I assume it must be LOTS of it.
Several hundred man-hours, several hundred dollars, and a trip down to San Diego!

QuoteI don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it or anything though... It's moreso concern about why the band list seems a bit empty compared to previous years. I know a huge amount of people already plan on seeing An Cafe as it is, but I'm sure some of us would be glad to see some other bands as well for Friday's MusicFest when the 3,000 capacity isn't bursting at the seams.
Mmm, we definitely want to fill it with at least 3 more performers. That's way less than the 10 we usually have, but we're hindered by the cost of the civic...

QuoteI just ask because it's not too far from con and we usually have a few bands announced at the least. Or is it possibly because the MusicFest staff is content with what they have so far? Just curious...
I considered stopping after An Cafe - they've been really successful - but I want to continue on in creating another concert that is either interesting or gives back to the community. If the negotiations with Japanese performers fall apart, the next stop is with the many talented "local" bands - which are under consideration now, but can't be confirmed until the end.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Shi_Musouka

Who was Chisato again? The name doesn't seem to ring a bell @__@. lol *apparently has not heard of too many musicians*

3 seems like a reasonable number. As long as the civic isn't dark on Friday, it's all good :]. I would really like to see the local bands under consideration too. Good opportunity for them, considering this year's beautiful reg numbers.

Darn you economic inflation... *shakes fist in rage* lol.

KyraEnsui

I remember Nami Tamaki and Camino performing back in 2004. That was great and awesome year too.

jemz

Quote from: Shi_Musouka on April 04, 2008, 11:53:06 PM
Who was Chisato again? The name doesn't seem to ring a bell @__@. lol *apparently has not heard of too many musicians*

3 seems like a reasonable number. As long as the civic isn't dark on Friday, it's all good :]. I would really like to see the local bands under consideration too. Good opportunity for them, considering this year's beautiful reg numbers.

Chisato is the guitarist for Penicillin as well as one of the main members of Crack6 who performed at MusicFest 2007. (click on link!)

MusicFest staff is always working hard to bring the best con they can! Even if it means not announcing all the really cool things until they are completely set.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Shi_Musouka

Ohh, Crack 6! I couldn't make it in time to see Crack 6 so I didn't really know much about him until I clicked the link. lol, but I'm pretty sure my dept head enjoyed their performance.

But best of luck with the band lineup for 2008. I'm not on MusicFest staff this year(and it wouldn't be feasible double-dutying for S.O.S. and MusicFest either >>), but I wouldn't mind helping out for 2009 in some way if the department is ever in dire need of it for some reason(I tend to lean towards horribly understaffed depts btw. lol).

Asides from that, I'm always up for helping a fellow con staffer in whatever way I can, even if it's only suggestions... lol

Tony

Quote from: Shi_Musouka on April 05, 2008, 12:16:36 PM
But best of luck with the band lineup for 2008. I'm not on MusicFest staff this year(and it wouldn't be feasible double-dutying for S.O.S. and MusicFest either >>), but I wouldn't mind helping out for 2009 in some way if the department is ever in dire need of it for some reason(I tend to lean towards horribly understaffed depts btw. lol).
Staffing for S.O.S. is more of a help to MusicFest than you realize.  ;D So please, help them out!
Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

Jerry

yes, we're always accepting more staff/volunteers for S.O.S aka Safety On- Sites
aka the group previously known as Rovers.

We're definately helping out with crowd control at Music Fest, so put on your riot gear and get ready for hundreds or rabid screaming fan girls (or boys?) aka R.S.F.G's ?

Not to be confused with R.O.U.S ( rodents of unusual size )

heh. princess bride reference for the win.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: jemz on April 05, 2008, 09:47:44 AM
MusicFest staff is always working hard to bring the best con they can! Even if it means not announcing all the really cool things until they are completely set. [/color]

That(and Tony's response) pretty much answered my initial question. Thanks.

Quote from: Jerry on April 08, 2008, 08:27:28 AM
yes, we're always accepting more staff/volunteers for S.O.S aka Safety On- Sites
aka the group previously known as Rovers.

Been in the S.O.S. Staff database for a while, but thanks anyways :3.

Natsumi

I think Stephanie Yanez should perform this year!

vidoll_ru

[spam removed]

Tony

Retired.
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Father, 2014

NERDglasses

Three Out Mods and LYV(ライヴ)on Friday night??

That's what LYV(ライヴ) posted on a bulletin haha
"You can fall in love many times, so don't waste time over a broken heart. Life happens once." -Dia Frampton :)

Shi_Musouka

I heard about LYV(ライヴ) today. I'll try not to say anything else since it's unconfirmed(or else it would've been on the site XD).

Though I did take a listen to LYV and IF they do show up on Friday, I'd definitely attend and take a listen to them.

But the important thing is, the chances of the civic going dark on Friday has decreased.

Long

Quote from: NERDglasses on April 28, 2008, 06:22:42 PM

NO EFFIN WAY?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! THEE OUT MODS ARE COMING!?!?!? I TOTALLY HAVE TO MAKE IT FANIME THIS YEAR. x333 OMG SANA WAIT FOR ME. I LOVE YOU FOREVER. <333

I'mma be up in the front row throwing myself at her. I remember seeing them at Slim's I think it was last year, or maybe two years ago. But they're AWESOME. x3 PUNK A-GO-GO! x3

C'mon Registration department head. Get back to me so I can attend Fanime for freeee! xD

OMG YES ITS TRUE. I JUST CHECKED THEIR MYSPACE! x3 <333

NERDglasses

Quote from: Long on May 01, 2008, 12:47:58 PM

NO EFFIN WAY?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! THEE OUT MODS ARE COMING!?!?!? I TOTALLY HAVE TO MAKE IT FANIME THIS YEAR. x333 OMG SANA WAIT FOR ME. I LOVE YOU FOREVER. <333

I'mma be up in the front row throwing myself at her. I remember seeing them at Slim's I think it was last year, or maybe two years ago. But they're AWESOME. x3 PUNK A-GO-GO! x3

C'mon Registration department head. Get back to me so I can attend Fanime for freeee! xD

Three Out Mods is gonna be in SF for Anime Pavillion on May 17th I believe. and it's free. :)
"You can fall in love many times, so don't waste time over a broken heart. Life happens once." -Dia Frampton :)

Long

Quote from: NERDglasses on May 01, 2008, 04:08:15 PM
Quote from: Long on May 01, 2008, 12:47:58 PM

Three Out Mods is gonna be in SF for Anime Pavillion on May 17th I believe. and it's free. :)
Ah. What's Anime Pavilion? If I go to Fanime I don't think I'm going to make a trip down to San Francisco. And if I go to San Francisco I probably won't make a trip down to Fanime. xP Not enough money for both, see. xD Seeing them once is enough though, and I'd rather go to Fanime because it's tradition. ;3 And my friends will be there, and I can drool on them while I'm watching Sana. ;D

By the way, it's Thee Out Mods, not Three. Kind of like Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. xP ^____^

laurachan

Just curious — Is there any room for a band suggestion?

Or do you guys already have them all lined up...

jemz

Quote from: laurachan on May 02, 2008, 12:24:44 PM
Just curious — Is there any room for a band suggestion?

Or do you guys already have them all lined up...

Currently our line up is almost set in stone. But you are always more than welcome to suggest bands for next year. :D
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って