Who would I talk to...

Started by Chewie, April 09, 2008, 02:21:25 AM

Chewie

...AT Fanime to solidify a position for NEXT year? This year just wasn't possible and I am curious if I can get started early this year for next.

Any info would be great.

Tony

Sure - start a relationship with people in the department, let them know you can't help this year but would like to next year, and follow up in a few months when planning for 2009 begins!
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Steve.Young

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2008, 07:34:28 AM
Sure - start a relationship with people in the department, let them know you can't help this year but would like to next year, and follow up in a few months when planning for 2009 begins!

Doesn't planning for 2009 happen sooner than this  ;)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jerry

does it have to be next year?

i think plenty of departments (including volunteers) are happy to have new ppl THIS year.

besides, you still have plenty of meetings to go to so see how things are run, and you could meet ppl now rather than later.  :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Steve.Young

*Coughs* *Insert here the awesome staff group of the artists formally known as rovers but are now called SOS*

*Coughs*
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Chewie

Quote from: Jerry on April 09, 2008, 08:03:53 AM

i think plenty of departments (including volunteers) are happy to have new ppl THIS year.

besides, you still have plenty of meetings to go to so see how things are run, and you could meet ppl now rather than later.  :)

While I would really love to join the team now, my current situation isn't one I can easily change to include heading down the bay every other couple of weeks or whatnot for meetings and such whereas next year there is no issue at all.

I would just like to know if I could possibly take someone to lunch over the course of Fanime weekend and talk each others ears off about this or that and about becoming a volunteer or an actual staff member.

Steve.Young

Wait we're suppose to attend meetings!? haha

I haven't gone to one in a while =)

Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

jemz

Quote from: Chewie on April 09, 2008, 08:23:40 AM
Quote from: Jerry on April 09, 2008, 08:03:53 AM

While I would really love to join the team now, my current situation isn't one I can easily change to include heading down the bay every other couple of weeks or whatnot for meetings and such whereas next year there is no issue at all.

I would just like to know if I could possibly take someone to lunch over the course of Fanime weekend and talk each others ears off about this or that and about becoming a volunteer or an actual staff member.

For next year, it depends on the depts you are interested in working for. Since most of the senior staff are concentrating on wrapping up planning for this year's con, you can let the dept head know of your interest and then check back when planning for 2009 starts to gear up.

A lot of times, if you just want to be staff, attending the meetings are not necessary but encouraged. There are departmental requirements that may be enforced such as additional training sessions with Safety on Site or with Maid Cafe but those are in place to make sure the staff knows what they are doing during the con. But the rest may just need you to come during con (like Print staff) and work.

Another option is joining Volunteers at-con and get a feel of the different departments that may interest you in 2009.

Taking someone to lunch and talking about volunteering/staffing is easy. You can easily find staff members  to talk to. It's a bit harder if you want to sit down and talk to a department head during the convention about becoming a staff member. Many dept. heads will be extremely busy making sure the convention runs smoothly.

Also, if you do have unanswered questions, you are more than welcome to email the dept. head and ask.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

LadyKaren

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 09, 2008, 07:56:04 AM

You sir, bring up a very good point. Too bad no one else sees it this way. The closest you'll get to actually planning for next years con before next year is, well December. Cept for a few departments that need to work right after 2008's Con but can't do their freaking job since the other departments are "too busy" to think about 2009.

.... NO I'M NOT BITTER.

Tony

Naaaah. It's not THAT hard.  :P

(In all seriousness, if you want to head a division for 2009, then you're too late; otherwise, there's time.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Chewie

Thanks much for the info. I will definitely look into it now and during the con.

sukurudo

Its hard to gage all aspects of the details of the coming years; but on a high level we have many things planned out for the next 3 years at least. :)
---
Will Warriner
Just some Random Not important dude..
I swear..