Nicest thing you've done/seen at a con

Started by Amon_Devilman, April 19, 2008, 12:01:59 AM

Amon_Devilman

One Fanime awhile back, me and a friend were doing a walk through the dealer's room, and we saw a Sailor Venus walking around with a sign saying "Will yuri for money".

Me: Are you kidding?
Her: No, I'm serious. Guys can watch, but nothing else.
Me: (thinking it was about the dealer's room) What the hell are you trying to buy?
Her: Food. I spent all my money already and I need food.
Me: .......................... (just put a twenty in her hand and leave)

If that Sailor Venus is reading this: Should have gotten your number or something. ^_^

Yeah, probably am an idiot. But still, I like helping people out.

PyronIkari

Uh...

That's not "nice" at all. That's promoting stupidity. You're giving money to someone who SPENT ALL THEIR MONEY AT A CON and had no sense of "priority" considering that, FOOD is more important that stupid shit like buying stuff in the dealers hall, getting a hotel room, OR STAYING/GOING TO THE CONVENTION.

What you did wasn't nice, it was being a god damned tool and supporting some stupid girls stupidity.

JTchinoy

Is it just me or is this like mister_e's thread about doppelgangers where he made a stupid thread then attempted to revise the thread into something less stupid?

in any case, nicest thing I did at fanime was make a free hugs sign and pointed at the guy watching the e-gaming door.  it wasn't so nice as it was for my own entertainment to see him unwillingly hugged, but he eventually was more than willing to give the hugs and it became a nice thing since it seemed to make his day.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Amon_Devilman

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 19, 2008, 01:47:15 PM
Uh...

That's not "nice" at all. That's promoting stupidity. You're giving money to someone who SPENT ALL THEIR MONEY AT A CON and had no sense of "priority" considering that, FOOD is more important that stupid shit like buying stuff in the dealers hall, getting a hotel room, OR STAYING/GOING TO THE CONVENTION.

What you did wasn't nice, it was being a god damned tool and supporting some stupid girls stupidity.

I've never been in a position to judge others. I just go by my gut.

Kazuko

Nicest thing ever

=) I helped a little tyke find his mom in the dealers room, kids are so easily distracted by nifty things

Mister_E

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 19, 2008, 02:51:52 PM
Is it just me or is this like mister_e's thread about doppelgangers where he made a stupid thread then attempted to revise the thread into something less stupid?

in any case, nicest thing I did at fanime was make a free hugs sign and pointed at the guy watching the e-gaming door.  it wasn't so nice as it was for my own entertainment to see him unwillingly hugged, but he eventually was more than willing to give the hugs and it became a nice thing since it seemed to make his day.

Hey keep me out of this.

I know it was stupid, I've learned my lession.

And I did something like that like what JT did but I was in '06 and it was outside the doors on the rave and we called too other cosplayers and yelled out for example "HEY, WHO WANTS TO HUG ZABUZA?" or Cloud or the Red Ranger. It was a hug/glomp thing (mostly hugs) this was before the who Glomp problem. People were ready to be glomped and hugged instead of attacked and they had the choice to turn it down.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Jun-Watarase

I don't really keep track of nice things I do for people, I just do them. Sometimes people do nice things back, and they're normally pleasant surprises.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

Quote from: Amon_Devilman on April 19, 2008, 03:41:08 PM
I've never been in a position to judge others. I just go by my gut.

Sigh... you seem to not understand what "judging" people consists of. Well there's a number of problems with what the other person did, there's a number of problems that you even trusted the other person so quickly with a story of "I'm broke" and you're now claiming it under the name of being nice, as if you're proud of the fact that it happened.

There's a difference between, "judging people" and being smart. You let some idiot take advantage of you, that's not something to be proud of, and to proclaim on these forums as "I did an extremely nice thing at a convention".

I've done plenty of nice things at a convention... do I care to recall or speak about it? Not really, because there's really no point in doing so. It actually sort of defeats the purpose of my actions and just trivializes my actions if I do.

BrightHeart76

Sigh...here I go getting myself in trouble.  I'm really not trying to stir anything.

I don't see the problem here.  He feels good about something he did.  However you feel about his actions, he feels good.  And for that I'm happy for him.  I see your point that he didn't know enough about this person or their situation to just hand over money.  But that's his choice.  He worked for that money, he can spend it however he wants. 

In my opinion we should always take an active role in helping people in our community.  For 4 days a year Fanime is my community and given the opportunity I'd like to think I'd help people there too.  I think we all would. 

I'm not trying to argue with anyone.  I just don't see the point in beating on the guy just because he's proud of something he did and wants to share it.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Jun-Watarase

I agree that it was her fault in not budgeting her money responsibly, then proceeded to peddle others via solicitation, but what Amon did was simply a nice gesture. It's sort of along the lines of giving money to a homeless person, whereas it most likely was their own fault that they didn't bother to find themselves a paying job. I offer small amounts to people who need it, on occasion. Many people do.

But to many people seem to do "nice things" only for praise or good karma, when in fact what makes a nice gesture truly nice is something you go out of your way to do for nothing in return. Anyone can easily hand some random person money-- it's not really going out of your way to do anything other than lose a few bucks from what you have, but not everyone can do nice things without expecting something in return, whether it be praise, a favor, or even something to bask in pride for. Many people do it to reassure to themselves that they're good people.

It's good to inspire others to do nice things for other people, but there isn't much of a point to keep track of every single nice thing you did, only to boast about it in public so people praise you. I can save a busload of kids and tell everyone in the world-- it doesn't really help anyone, it doesn't have a point at all other than getting some sort of praise in return, in which you would be using that "nice gesture" you did for another to gain something in return. It cheapens it, to be honest.

What really lies in the value of a good deed is doing it for the sake of being good and helping others. Whether you keep it in your heart or share it with others, what's actually important is that you did it, and it aided someone who would appreciate the good deed. True integrity is lacking in human beings.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

DemonLordZabuza

Hmmm, I would first like to say that I laugh at you PyronIkari.  Yes I do understand that people dont know how to manage their money well and thus spend it recklessly.  But at the same time we dont know what she spend her money on.  Maybe some extra expenses came up before con so she had less money to start with.  Her money went to pay for her room, then she bought stuff for other people because she promised them she will and she happens to be a good person and keeping her word, or whatever reason we dont know what it is.

But Amon_Devilman thats a pretty nice gesture over all.  I guess the nicest thing I've ever done was walk a group of girls back to their hotel room at AX.  After the rave late one night I walked them all in their room keeping an eye out for weirdos trying to get their way with girls walking alone at night.  Did anything happen, no but its always good to be prepared.

A second inside where I wasnt really involved but it was still a nice gesture in general.  Last year at fanime a group of us went to eat sushi.  We had loads left over.  A friend and I went to go buy some stuff at the store and when we got back the rest of our group had given away $100 worth of sushi out at the con.  I was sad and upset.  But oh well, its just $100 worth of food and at least it wasnt thrown away

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

PyronIkari

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on April 19, 2008, 07:58:23 PM
Sigh...here I go getting myself in trouble.  I'm really not trying to stir anything.

I don't see the problem here.  He feels good about something he did.  However you feel about his actions, he feels good.  And for that I'm happy for him.  I see your point that he didn't know enough about this person or their situation to just hand over money.  But that's his choice.  He worked for that money, he can spend it however he wants. 

In my opinion we should always take an active role in helping people in our community.  For 4 days a year Fanime is my community and given the opportunity I'd like to think I'd help people there too.  I think we all would. 

I'm not trying to argue with anyone.  I just don't see the point in beating on the guy just because he's proud of something he did and wants to share it.

G'uh, you are totlly missing the point. You're right in stating that he can spend his money however he wants, and that is fine. Helping your community though, does not mean throwing money at an individual who "CLAIMS" they need it. There's a difference between being nice, and being a tool. He was clearly being a tool. You can be proud of anything you did, but it doesn't make it right, nor does it make it worth sharing.

If I were to go and kill someone for example. That guy hit his wife. If I were proud of the fact that I killed him, does it make it justified, nor right? It was in an act of charity though, right?

Extreme example, but the point is still there. He gave some stupid person money, that isn't "Nice" at all. Jun said it's like giving a homeless guy money. Frankly, it *is* in a sense, but there are to many assumptions that have to be made. Who knows if the guy is really homeless? Who knows what he's going to spend money on, if he's spending the money on drugs for example, that is actually BAD for the community. There's more issues than "LOL I GAVE SOMEONE MONEY, I DID GOOD!" Because that ignorant way of thinking is just retarded.

He's proud of what he did, you don't have to announce it to the world if you're proud of something, and in doing so all you're doing is LOOKING for praise for doing said action. Why state that "LOLOLOL HEY GUYS, I DID SOMETHINGS GOODS BY GIVING SOME POOR GIRL SOME MONIES!" especially to a bunch of strangers on the internet? What is he expecting in return? GOOD JOB! YOU ARE SUCH A KIND PERSON!

QuoteHmmm, I would first like to say that I laugh at you PyronIkari.
Oh this is just awesome. You laugh at me, so now I'll  time to make everything you said look stupid.
QuoteYes I do understand that people dont know how to manage their money well and thus spend it recklessly.  But at the same time we dont know what she spend her money on.  Maybe some extra expenses came up before con so she had less money to start with.  Her money went to pay for her room, then she bought stuff for other people because she promised them she will and she happens to be a good person and keeping her word, or whatever reason we dont know what it is.
We don't... now here's the thing. Expenses came up before the con, so she had less money to start with? You see, when you plan something, and an event comes prior to it where you have to spend all your money, your best off NOT GOING TO THE EVENT because you can no longer afford it. She bought stuff for other people because she promised them she would? Then she's just god damned stupid. Keeping your word and spending money you do not have does not make you a good person. It makes you STUPID. Once more, there's a difference between being "nice" and being a "STUPID TOOL". If you do not have the money to spend on other people to take care of things like EATING, you should not be doing it.

But for the sake of arguement, you're right in not knowing what they spent their money on, but regardless, the situation at hand, she spent her money stupidly if she spent it on things before she spent them on SUSTINANCE, the most important thing to any living organism.

QuoteBut Amon_Devilman thats a pretty nice gesture over all.  I guess the nicest thing I've ever done was walk a group of girls back to their hotel room at AX.  After the rave late one night I walked them all in their room keeping an eye out for weirdos trying to get their way with girls walking alone at night.  Did anything happen, no but its always good to be prepared.
Once more, it wasn't a nice gesture, it was stupid. It's of a mentallity that "I did something good for someone because I gave them money." I could totally call you out on it in stating that wasn't the only reason why you walked them back, but then that would be a pointless arguement.

The idea of a nice gesture, is doing something you don't need to do, but are fully capable of doing to help out someone who needs the help. If I'm extremely rich, and buy a car for someone who is perfectly content with life, has a decent job and things are going well, that doesn't make me nice, it makes me generous.

If I haven't eaten all night and I notice I only have 3$ in my wallet, and I have nothing to eat at home, and pay day isn't until next week, and I see a friend of mine and decide to use that three dollars to buy him a coffee from starbucks, because I promised him coffee 3 weeks ago, it doesn't make me nice... it makes an idiot.

Now, if said friend noticed I was hungry, and asked if I wanted to get food, and I said "N'ah I'd like to but I don't have any money" and he took his friend out just because, that would be nice. Because he's helping out a friend within his capability, at a very minor cost to him.

The irony of it all... is how a huge amount of my close friends think I'm entirely too nice.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: DemonLordZabuza on April 19, 2008, 08:55:04 PM
Hmmm, I would first like to say that I laugh at you PyronIkari.  Yes I do understand that people dont know how to manage their money well and thus spend it recklessly.  But at the same time we dont know what she spend her money on.  Maybe some extra expenses came up before con so she had less money to start with.  Her money went to pay for her room, then she bought stuff for other people because she promised them she will and she happens to be a good person and keeping her word, or whatever reason we dont know what it is.

While I agree that it was still a nice gesture of generosity, you realize that you made her seem more at fault by typing what you just had, right? If she had other reasons to pay money, like for her hotel room, she should've had enough time to budget to pay for both her room and her needs... including food. From that, it's basically you trying to make up random scenarios just to disprove what Pyron had said for the sake of proving him wrong, wherein fact, you actually just proved how there's no other actual reason for her needing money other than her being really irresponsible and really bad in planning things. That's what you normally do, though. You disagree for the sake of disagreeing, rather than having a coherent thought as to why you're disagreeing. Ah, the displays of integrity in this very thread is amusing.

But anyway, my opinion still stands. What Amon did was a nice gesture, but boasting about it only cheapens its value because praise is expected in return. Sharing experiences is always okay, what your good deeds equates in value is entirely up to you. That's the point, afterall. Where does the importance of a good deed reside in? The sake of helping others for their sake, or praise and a pat on your back for reassurance that you're a nice person?

It varies between what is done, of course, [Edit] but Pyron already generally listed the reasons why.

FanimaidCafe.com

BrightHeart76

As you say I'm misunderstaning you, I feel you're misunderstanding me.  I'm not defending his actions giving money to a person he didn't know anything about.  I'd personally rather give a hungry person a sandwich then money, but that's beside the point.

I just feel like this guy is getting beat on unfairly for posting this.  You're right.  In most cases boasting about a good deed cheapens it.  But I've seen so many posts for silly things like buying a new video game or meeting a new person.  Heck, I've posted before because I was excited to win a radio contest.  He's excited about helping someone.  I know you don't agree with HOW he helped, but can't we at least appreciate that he did in fact try to help?  By comparision, I think we would all be beter served to talk a little bit more about the good things we can do and have done then spend so much time focusing on the other silly things we focus on.  And if we can't do that, can we at least not spend so much time beating on the person who's talking about helping?

I know you pride yourself on being blunt and not holding things back for the sake of being nice.  I'm not asking you to change that.  I'm just trying to balance things out a little. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

PyronIkari

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on April 19, 2008, 10:09:58 PM
As you say I'm misunderstaning you, I feel you're misunderstanding me.  I'm not defending his actions giving money to a person he didn't know anything about.  I'd personally rather give a hungry person a sandwich then money, but that's beside the point.

I just feel like this guy is getting beat on unfairly for posting this.  You're right.  In most cases boasting about a good deed cheapens it.  But I've seen so many posts for silly things like buying a new video game or meeting a new person.  Heck, I've posted before because I was excited to win a radio contest.  He's excited about helping someone.  I know you don't agree with HOW he helped, but can't we at least appreciate that he did in fact try to help?  By comparision, I think we would all be beter served to talk a little bit more about the good things we can do and have done then spend so much time focusing on the other silly things we focus on.  And if we can't do that, can we at least not spend so much time beating on the person who's talking about helping?

I know you pride yourself on being blunt and not holding things back for the sake of being nice.  I'm not asking you to change that.  I'm just trying to balance things out a little. 

I do well enough to balance it out, it's a matter of reasoning and time. But that's besides the point.

The whole purpose of this thread is one of selfishness and greed. The basis of being proud of your actions is one thing, boasting about it doesn't just cheapen the action, it shows the real reasoning behind it. This entire thread screams selfishness and seeking appraisal.

A good thread WOULD have been "nicest thing anyone has done for me at a con". Because frankly, who the hell are you to judge whether what you did is the nicest thing you've done for someone else. Why am I coming down so hard on the thread creator? Because he's shown so much of his personality within his posts and his threads. Something about himself that he doesn't realize or refuses to accept about himself. And pretty much to everyone who doesn't see it themselves. The idea of being kind, nice, helpful is more than just doing crap for people.

To that person who got the money, what did it mean to them? Doing things for others, is for them, not for yourself. That's the entire idea and basis of it. By making it about yourself, by proclaiming it, you either regret doing said action, or admit that it wasn't for the other person because you're expecting/hoping something in return.

Amon_Devilman

Wow, seems a lot of people like to jump on my threads with stuff.

Brightheart: Thanks for the supportive nature. I'll take it from here.

Pyron: Like I said, I'm not one to judge. I don't know why nearly everytime I see you comment on a thread, it's fuel for some kind of flame war.

Pyron likes to think that somehow, my posts have given him perfect insight into my being. With the exception of my initial post on these boards this year, my only purpose in posting my threads is to gain a better understanding of my fellow con goers. I want to know what other people's experiences consist of. And I have no problem posting my own thing. Not boasting. It's like asking a stranger what the most humiliating thing they've done is without sharing your own thing.

Ridicule my actions if you want. I feel like I did some good then, and just left it at that. And I'm sorry, if you don't feel good about yourself for helping people, then it's your loss.

And as for your idea about "Nicest thing someone did for me", be honest, if I did make a thread like that, you'd probably just say how selfish I am for just bragging about how people like me. ^_^