BANZAI ARCADE! A Thrilling new game show panel brought to you by Team Banzai!

Started by DJ Saturn, May 17, 2008, 11:46:18 PM

DJ Saturn

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYNwpGcVs

From the Fanime Website: "Think you're a top tier gamer? See how you stack up in a test of your knowledge of video trivia as well as hands on gaming skill. In this game-show themed panel Hosted by Team Banzai, two teams compete for fun and prizes as well as bragging rights to see which is the ultimate gaming crew."

The run time for this panel will be 2 hours approx. 12pm-2pm Saturday afternoon. This panel will be a gameshow with a virtual gameboard designed by our very own Kajetokun. Hosted by myself and Moogle of Console Wars fame. (And with real prizes, thats right REAL prizes).

Rounds will range anywhere from general game playing challenges to trivia that will test your knowledge of not just video games but anime and general trivia knowledge as well to flat out boss battles.... against the members of Banzai... >.>

So please come! there will be REAL prizes worth your while. And please compete! The competition will be done in teams of 4. So get teams together for this if you're interested. We will be holding multiple rounds within the time frame of the panel so even if you don't get picked first round, you have a chance of getting in in another round!

Thanks!  ;D
Fly so High...

I'm gonna touch the sky..

heeroyuy135

Barnes

Theres more to Captain Falcon than his punch, but I'll still go to this panel anyway.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

PyronIkari

These things always interest me, but whenever I do decide to go to one, I'm horribly disappointed at the lack of content, variety, and even through put into whatever it is. It's usually a bunch of mainstream crap where, anyone who knows anything about the basics of what's happened in the video game world would know. You never see awesome questions like...

What was the basis for Kojima's top selling adventure game for the Sega CD and Turbo Grafx-CD?

A question that first requires you to know... what game that is. Then one that you'd need to know the basic history of said game.

Instead we get crap like... "LOLOLOL IN FINAL FANTASY, WHAT IS THE NAME OF AERIS' FINAL LIMIT BREAK?!?!?"

It's always about main stream games, never see anything that's really trivia.

What was the name of the unreleased Penn and Teller game, and what system was it for?

In R.C. Pro AM, letters appeared on the track. Collecting them and spelling what word, caused what to happen? <=- I consider this an easy question. Since it's basically stating "if you played this game, you should know the answer".

Name all of the limit breaks from Final Fantasy 6. <=- See, this is a final fantasy question, that I doubt MOST FF FANS would even know.

DJ Saturn

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 18, 2008, 02:19:50 PM
These things always interest me, but whenever I do decide to go to one, I'm horribly disappointed at the lack of content, variety, and even through put into whatever it is. It's usually a bunch of mainstream crap where, anyone who knows anything about the basics of what's happened in the video game world would know. You never see awesome questions like...

What was the basis for Kojima's top selling adventure game for the Sega CD and Turbo Grafx-CD?

A question that first requires you to know... what game that is. Then one that you'd need to know the basic history of said game.

Instead we get crap like... "LOLOLOL IN FINAL FANTASY, WHAT IS THE NAME OF AERIS' FINAL LIMIT BREAK?!?!?"

It's always about main stream games, never see anything that's really trivia.

What was the name of the unreleased Penn and Teller game, and what system was it for?

In R.C. Pro AM, letters appeared on the track. Collecting them and spelling what word, caused what to happen? <=- I consider this an easy question. Since it's basically stating "if you played this game, you should know the answer".

Name all of the limit breaks from Final Fantasy 6. <=- See, this is a final fantasy question, that I doubt MOST FF FANS would even know.

You might like this panel, then. Thats the kind of gamer we had in mind when we began making questions.

I'll put it this way: We have dozens of questions made already and we're just barely realizing we need to put some mainstream ones in to balance it out. Everything we know for trivia we can think of is obscure because thats what we as a group lean towards question-wise. Actually now that i think of it. You have the exact mindset we had when we went into it.

Anyhow, we're trying to hit the delicate balance so that the hardcore can appreciate it and the casual aren't so overwhelmed they feel alienated. We're trying to make something everyone can enjoy, basically.
Fly so High...

I'm gonna touch the sky..

OniCourseMusha

FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Shinsengumi

You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

PyronIkari

Quote from: DJ Saturn on May 18, 2008, 05:14:12 PM
You might like this panel, then. Thats the kind of gamer we had in mind when we began making questions.

I'll put it this way: We have dozens of questions made already and we're just barely realizing we need to put some mainstream ones in to balance it out. Everything we know for trivia we can think of is obscure because thats what we as a group lean towards question-wise. Actually now that i think of it. You have the exact mindset we had when we went into it.

Anyhow, we're trying to hit the delicate balance so that the hardcore can appreciate it and the casual aren't so overwhelmed they feel alienated. We're trying to make something everyone can enjoy, basically.

I've heard this before... yet, was still disappointed many times. I mean, I've been working in the game industry for years now. I know people that work at every game company, and have played so many games that I can't stand American forums concerning games because most of the people are clueless. I resort to posting on 2ch about games now, because JP otaku are the only ones that seem to follow games the same way I do.

I might stop by though, who knows. But just some advice. be careful with your questions. You don't want to cross the line of "trivia" into bull shit knowledge. Trivia is knowledge that you have to pay attention to notice, compared to bull shit knowledge that is "Unless you specifically did this, looking for this, and counting on it, you won't know".

I'm reminded of an episode of Video Power, where the question that was asked to Johnny Arcade was "How many poles are on the fence at the beginning of Maniac Mansion". How much EXP is needed total for a character to reach level 99 in FF7, and the such.

abcbadcat

Damn, that sounds pretty interesting and pretty hard... I may stop in for a little while and check it out.

Raydere

I'll stop by, though kinda because Kajet is hosting it.

I'm with PyronIkari on non-mainstream game questions.  It would be cool to see questions that'll make me go "hey, they know THAT game? I thought I was the only one who played that!" or "hey, this is something that I know, but not a lot of people do!"
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on May 19, 2008, 10:19:35 PM
I'll stop by, though kinda because Kajet is hosting it.

HAHA! He told me about this panel on aim and I'm pretty interested myself.  I'll call him if he wants to hang out and get to know him well.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Barnes

I liked the panel. I even knew a couple of answers (although I guessed them only because the other team got the questions wrong. XD)
Pics coming later.
Yay, Haruko.

Raydere

Banzai Arcade was pretty cool, and fun...too bad about the game challenges though.

Also, I need to take a break from Castlevania. (I'm the one who knew Alucard's full name when the question was classified as a hard question.)
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

Tetsuo9999

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on May 29, 2008, 09:57:17 PM
Banzai Arcade was pretty cool, and fun...too bad about the game challenges though.

Also, I need to take a break from Castlevania. (I'm the one who knew Alucard's full name when the question was classified as a hard question.)

I knew it too, man. I knew all of the questions except for the Captain Falcon, Earthbound and Final Fantasy one.

Barnes

I got the Captain Falcon and the Street Fighter 2 attack button questions.

Answers=Douglas Jay Falcon
Jab, Strong, Firce, Short, Forward, Roundhouse

My pics (not that many) from the panel are here:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/CapeBarnes/FanimeCon%202008/Panels/

Bishie Luigi=Ha-ha!

Anybody got any video from all this?
Yay, Haruko.

PyronIkari

Someone list all of the questions.

As for the street fighter one, how was it worded, because I'd challenge it. SF1 had two buttons "Punch" and "Kick" It wasn't until the second cabinet came out did it have the 6 button lay out... but frankly, that question is so incredibly easy.

Tetsuo9999

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 31, 2008, 08:25:12 AM
Someone list all of the questions.

As for the street fighter one, how was it worded, because I'd challenge it. SF1 had two buttons "Punch" and "Kick" It wasn't until the second cabinet came out did it have the 6 button lay out... but frankly, that question is so incredibly easy.

Yeah, I thought it was a trick question because of the SF1 buttons, as you mentioned.

There were a ton of questions that made me facepalm when they were answered wrong, but they also had a ton of Hard questions that were actually quite difficult. Naturally, all the good questions didn't come up since Team B ended up winning, and the panel was only two hours long. Hopefully they'll get their projector problem fixed next year, and the gamer challenges will work.

OniCourseMusha

Even though the gaming challenge didn't work, I had so much fun in there!
Kraken Con Staff

Seril

I was the guy on the right asking the animoo questions. Protip: If you're asked what genre on a hard question, don't say any. That'll encourage me to pull out some obscure question from Brain Powered or one of the other guys to ask a Bad Dudes question or something. :D I had to start going off the top of my head by the end of it, because I could only write so many questions in-between finals and my uni research, and the ones not written by me ended up like the medium Inu-Yasha question.

We were pretty satisfied with the panel, despite the technical difficulties and the short panel time. Hopefully next year we'll be able to work something out so we can work out the technical stuff beforehand. For a first run, everything was awesome. Thanks to everyone that participated, we hope everyone had a great time.

No promises, but if you happen to be in SoCal, I'd say there's a good chance of seeing this or something like it again during Anime L.A. and/or Mikomicon.