Maid Cafe 2008 Feedback

Started by Jun-Watarase, May 26, 2008, 08:15:19 PM

Jun-Watarase

Last year outright SUCKED, and we all know it. But that changed, this year. We might've not had gotten as big of a crazy crowd as we did last year, but almost everyone that had come was pleased with the wonderful service the maids had brought this year. I feel especially proud, having done the maid-behavioral training. Thanks for all who managed to organize it, even if things turned out to be last minute. 20 volunteers dropped out at the last minute from the lack of good timing, but we did well regardless. You all worked really hard.

So what changed this year? For one, BIGGER SPACE, nicer decor, and maids actually got to play the role of being maids instead of just waitresses in cute uniforms. We also had leeway for time, so people could sit and relax, and the maids can provide their patrons company by playing games and having conversations. Thanks to all the customers who had so much fun with us, and those who took the effort to give us so many fabulous gifts.

I even got to talk to a couple of press members, starting with, "Let's be honest. Last year was terrible." and ended with "But this year is awesome. Expect a good review."

So, what did you think? What should be improve on NEXT year? For one, we need more time to prepare things up closer to near-perfection. We WILL do it, so be sure to come visit us next year! Thank you.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Nina Star 9

It was pretty nice to sit there and chill with the maids for a bit. However, I have two complaints, and I'm not sure if one of them can really be changed:

1. The prices. When we first saw the prices, we thought that it was pretty average with the rest of the con, but then when we got our food, it was tiny! I realize that you probably have no control over the prices, but still, it seemed a bit much for something so tiny.

2. Two girls in our group ordered the exact same thing. One of them got her sandwich on time, with the rest of the group. The other girl, however, had to wait for a long time to get hers, and the maids kept coming over to apologize and to entertain us while waiting. Other guests were getting their food, but this poor girl didn't get hers for a long time, even though we looked around and saw others with the same thing. I have no idea what happened there, but please try to keep everything together next time so that one person isn't waiting around a long while after everyone else has finished.

I may or may not go back next year, but I do have to say that the maids were cute, polite, and entertaining, and it was fun in a group. Going by myself as I had originally planned might not have been as good.

Jun-Watarase

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sorry about the complications that had happened, though. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when that had happened to help assess the issue, but hopefully nothing as bad happens next year.

As for the prices of the food, that isn't up to us. The organization that provides the food to us is a completely different organization and can charge it however they want. I agree it's expensive, but I realize that it's a catering service and they tend to price it that way.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kaura117

The solo experience wasn't too bad either, actually. The maids were attentive, professional and personable. The price/quantity ratio is... um... unpleasant, but even with restaurant work experience, I can't think of any easy ways to lower the cost given the context, especially given a separate company for catering.

The Alice in Wonderland cosplay group was awesome. Not sure if that was actually part of the deal (pretty sure it wasn't), but it added a wonderful element of surreality.

I admit major skepticism to the concept when I first heard about it, and last year's accounts didn't help matters much. But my curiosity got the best of me this year, and it was rewarded accordingly. Great job this time, and I hope to see ye girls next year.

SukieNeko

This was the first time I went to the maid cafe and I really enjoyed it. Getting to take pictures with the maids was a nice touch:P One thing I would reccomend is try to have the maids learn a few Japanese phrases such as Okaerinasaimase (welcome home. Something that maids usually say to customers when they first arrive.) Perhaps you did this, but I don't recall my maid using any Japanese. That was perfectly fine though and is just a suggestion. Still, it was great and I enjoyed myself.

Kaura117

Quote from: SukieNeko on May 26, 2008, 08:46:59 PM
This was the first time I went to the maid cafe and I really enjoyed it. Getting to take pictures with the maids was a nice touch:P One thing I would reccomend is try to have the maids learn a few Japanese phrases such as Okaerinasaimase (welcome home. Something that maids usually say to customers when they first arrive.) Perhaps you did this, but I don't recall my maid using any Japanese. That was perfectly fine though and is just a suggestion. Still, it was great and I enjoyed myself.

They did use the usual assortment of Japanese phrases. Not all the time, obviously, but that's a good thing to my reckoning.

Jun-Watarase

Actually, I did train them to use "Okaerinasai" and "Itterasshaimase", and referring to their customers as "Goshujinsama" and "Ojousama" but time was limited to press them to practice one-on-one. Also, a few had trouble pronouncing the phrases, so we gave them the option of saying the English counterparts in place of the Japanese ones, instead of forcing them to speak a new language.

Also, it was encouraged to speak English the majority of the time, outside of the phrases, to prevent a distanced relationship with customers that don't understand Japanese. The only ones I would've recommended speaking further Japanese with were with the guests from Japan that only spoke English. The Gainax people had a pretty fun sense of humor.

I'm really happy with the feedback so far, though. I had fun talking to my own customers as well.

FanimaidCafe.com

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 26, 2008, 08:40:32 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sorry about the complications that had happened, though. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when that had happened to help assess the issue, but hopefully nothing as bad happens next year.

As for the prices of the food, that isn't up to us. The organization that provides the food to us is a completely different organization and can charge it however they want. I agree it's expensive, but I realize that it's a catering service and they tend to price it that way.
I figured that the food prices couldn't be helped, but it was a bit dissapointing. I cannot comment on the taste of the food, though, since I only ordered a drink, but it all looked rather tasty, at least. :D

The Sax

Hey Jun, it's teh Reimu with no balls.

After meeting with you on Saturday, I also went back with friends to have a snack at the cafe. We all enjoyed ourselves there. Food prices were, again, a bit on the steep side; if there's anything that needs improvement, you guys really need to plan what's being offered in terms of food and lower prices. Even if it costs variety, I'd prefer to sit and have cheap and reasonable food with good service.

I commend the 2.25 sodas. Cheapest sodas in the con by far. Not enough to make the price palatable still. I realize it's more work, but looking into lowering prices should definitely create a draw.

As for maid service, indeed, a vast improvement. Most of the pro-points you all told me or have listed here, so I don't have to go into it.

I do feel though that ordering system needs to be improved. Lining up, ordering food, then sitting down at a table proved to confuse some of the people in my group. I'll admit that some of the people in my group were.... a bit retarded... but to people who don't know what maid cafes are, there are some terrible potential slip-ups. In the case of ordering food, the staff working at the reg sometimes gave us the food or drink before we even sat down, sort of defeating the purpose of having maids serve us. Then, we had one of my party members walk off trying to get his own seat with his food. I think an improvement to this structure would be taking orders after people are sat down. Of course, this may get a bit more messier when you're handling the bill at the end.

In any case, you guys did good this year. I'll be writing my article with fairly high marks and I'll forward you guys a copy when I'm done.
hmmm, what to say.....

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: The Sax on May 27, 2008, 12:56:00 AM
Hey Jun, it's teh Reimu with no balls.

After meeting with you on Saturday, I also went back with friends to have a snack at the cafe. We all enjoyed ourselves there. Food prices were, again, a bit on the steep side; if there's anything that needs improvement, you guys really need to plan what's being offered in terms of food and lower prices. Even if it costs variety, I'd prefer to sit and have cheap and reasonable food with good service.

I commend the 2.25 sodas. Cheapest sodas in the con by far. Not enough to make the price palatable still. I realize it's more work, but looking into lowering prices should definitely create a draw.

As for maid service, indeed, a vast improvement. Most of the pro-points you all told me or have listed here, so I don't have to go into it.

I do feel though that ordering system needs to be improved. Lining up, ordering food, then sitting down at a table proved to confuse some of the people in my group. I'll admit that some of the people in my group were.... a bit retarded... but to people who don't know what maid cafes are, there are some terrible potential slip-ups. In the case of ordering food, the staff working at the reg sometimes gave us the food or drink before we even sat down, sort of defeating the purpose of having maids serve us. Then, we had one of my party members walk off trying to get his own seat with his food. I think an improvement to this structure would be taking orders after people are sat down. Of course, this may get a bit more messier when you're handling the bill at the end.

In any case, you guys did good this year. I'll be writing my article with fairly high marks and I'll forward you guys a copy when I'm done.

Hey, thanks. As for the food prices and how they were served, it actually wasn't really up to us. That's their own organization, of which we have to follow how they plan how they want to handle the food. Yeah, sucks, I know. Can't really do much about it, but hopefully we can try to change that next year.

As for them serving you...? If I were there when that had happened, I wouldn't have allowed it. I really wonder if they even had the permission to do that, because I doubt anyone else would've approved of it, either. But yeah, thanks for your input. I really enjoyed talking to you about the cafe, and am glad that you appreciate the improvements. My e-mail is [email protected] so feel free to e-mail me the article once you're done. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Oh yeah, are you hitting up AX or Otakon? It was pretty fun hanging out with you, too.

FanimaidCafe.com

SukieNeko

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on May 26, 2008, 08:52:46 PM

Actually, I did train them to use "Okaerinasai" and "Itterasshaimase", and referring to their customers as "Goshujinsama" and "Ojousama" but time was limited to press them to practice one-on-one. Also, a few had trouble pronouncing the phrases, so we gave them the option of saying the English counterparts in place of the Japanese ones, instead of forcing them to speak a new language.

Also, it was encouraged to speak English the majority of the time, outside of the phrases, to prevent a distanced relationship with customers that don't understand Japanese. The only ones I would've recommended speaking further Japanese with were with the guests from Japan that only spoke English. The Gainax people had a pretty fun sense of humor.

I'm really happy with the feedback so far, though. I had fun talking to my own customers as well.

Cool, cool. It's definitely understandable that some of them chose to use english more than the Japanese. Still, it was a great cafe and I enjoyed myself.

Touya no Miko

Hey guys, one of the maids here. You might remember me as the maid with the rose in her hair. Anyway, working at the maid cafe this year was fun. Tiring, but fun. I really enjoyed serving food to everyone and having conversations with them like fellow con goers. Don't have many complaints, except it was pretty complicated when we opened on Saturday. We didn't use a numbering system like on Sunday, so trying to memorize what the guests ordered was difficult, especially if you have a short memory (points to self).

A shame most of our maids dropped out, since I heard that there was only one maid to serve everyone on Sunday around 11:00. It was a good thing that it was slow. But the guests were friendly and they really liked my maid outfit. One guest made my picture into his screensaver o_o! Meeting the other maids was fun too, you'll be seeing me next year for sure!
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

Eurobeat King

Jun: sorry i wasn't able to come by and say hello or take pictures of the maids during the morning shifts..  I was so busy throughout the days taking pictures of cosplayers by the Fountains area, and the only time I stopped by the Maid Cafe was on Saturday & Sunday when I was returning to my room at the Hilton to rest & recharge for the evening.  I took a few pictures of the maids who were there, and then had to go. 

Again, sorry I missed you and the morning-shift maids this year.   :'(
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Kandybar

I think we must have stopped by at a busy time (it was ~3:30 on Saturday) because we didn't actually get very much attention from our maid - we did have one seat us and bring us our food, but other than greeting us and asking if we needed anything else, we didn't have any contact.  A different maid took away our dishes when we left.  I suspect it was probably the guest to maid ratio but some interaction would have been nice.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Kandybar on May 27, 2008, 10:34:59 AM
I think we must have stopped by at a busy time (it was ~3:30 on Saturday) because we didn't actually get very much attention from our maid - we did have one seat us and bring us our food, but other than greeting us and asking if we needed anything else, we didn't have any contact.  A different maid took away our dishes when we left.  I suspect it was probably the guest to maid ratio but some interaction would have been nice.

It might've been busy. Truth is, 20 maids dropped out of the project the day before the event happened due to timing or not being able to/wanting to work. I'm sorry you hadn't gotten interaction with your maid. What they should've done was ask you if they would like your company, but also, in mind that if people already look preoccupied and interacting with themselves, maids tend not to feel inclined to interrupt outside of asking if you need anything or helping you serve more food. Still, I hope you had a good time. The ratio did make things tougher, but next time, we will all try harder to make everyone satisfied.

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 27, 2008, 09:57:26 AM
Jun: sorry i wasn't able to come by and say hello or take pictures of the maids during the morning shifts..  I was so busy throughout the days taking pictures of cosplayers by the Fountains area, and the only time I stopped by the Maid Cafe was on Saturday & Sunday when I was returning to my room at the Hilton to rest & recharge for the evening.  I took a few pictures of the maids who were there, and then had to go. 

Again, sorry I missed you and the morning-shift maids this year.   :'(

Nah, it's coo. There's always next year, and it is expected to be awesome.

FanimaidCafe.com

Sucrose

It's a shame Fructose and I weren't able to dedicate ourselves to being maids this year like we were last year, but we did our part by coming by on Saturday afternoon...I can't comment on how it was as a patron last year, but with the larger space and all it looked as though it was a lot easier for the patrons to spend time chatting and eating. Since the maids didn't have to shuffle people in and out super-quickly, it looked like there was more leeway to sit down and get acquainted, which was great (although it's a shame to hear that so many maids dropped out so early--but it seemed like the participating maids were handling things capably and smoothly, at least when we were there). I think our maid's name was Nicole? or some N name (I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names), and she was awesome. She was really friendly and attentive, and gave us little flower pins at the end. It was the little details like that that made the experience really memorable; I'm going to remember the chatting and the flower pin rather than how much we paid for our tiny little shared piece of cake. I hope the Cafe can keep the larger space next year, and if I'm able I'd really like to be able to participate as a maid again.
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Sucrose on May 27, 2008, 05:49:03 PM
It's a shame Fructose and I weren't able to dedicate ourselves to being maids this year like we were last year, but we did our part by coming by on Saturday afternoon...I can't comment on how it was as a patron last year, but with the larger space and all it looked as though it was a lot easier for the patrons to spend time chatting and eating. Since the maids didn't have to shuffle people in and out super-quickly, it looked like there was more leeway to sit down and get acquainted, which was great (although it's a shame to hear that so many maids dropped out so early--but it seemed like the participating maids were handling things capably and smoothly, at least when we were there). I think our maid's name was Nicole? or some N name (I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names), and she was awesome. She was really friendly and attentive, and gave us little flower pins at the end. It was the little details like that that made the experience really memorable; I'm going to remember the chatting and the flower pin rather than how much we paid for our tiny little shared piece of cake. I hope the Cafe can keep the larger space next year, and if I'm able I'd really like to be able to participate as a maid again.

Please do! Both our maids and patrons had fun interacting and exchanging gifts this year, and chances are, we might make even more fun plans to advance into our next year. I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay. It would be nice to have you back.

FanimaidCafe.com

Mordyan

I thought the space was really nice this year. While the slightly high prices were a bit daunting the cake was very good and the girls were super polite. We came at a busy time when almost all the tables were full, so the girls didnt get to the full attention at our table as I have heard from others but it was a very enjoyable. It was also nice not having to wait in line this year. I look forward to it next year.

mDuo13

Quote from: Kandybar on May 27, 2008, 10:34:59 AM
My experience was almost pretty similar to this until Jerry sat down to chat with us (to take one of his enforced breaks, God knows he deserved it) and Jun dropped by, too. None of the other maids offered more interaction than simple (and shy) restaurant-style service though. Saturday afternoon was definitely really busy - so I guess recruitment of more maids would be a top priority for next year.

The food was, as expected, vastly overpriced, but actually not horrible quality, which was a welcome surprise.

The improved, larger space was awesome though.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Mordyan on May 27, 2008, 08:12:25 PM
I thought the space was really nice this year. While the slightly high prices were a bit daunting the cake was very good and the girls were super polite. We came at a busy time when almost all the tables were full, so the girls didnt get to the full attention at our table as I have heard from others but it was a very enjoyable. It was also nice not having to wait in line this year. I look forward to it next year.

The lack of interaction was probably due to our shortage of maids, but this will definitely change next year. The space and line were a big improvement many people appreciated. I hope you had enjoyed your stay at the cafe this year.

Quote from: mDuo13 on May 27, 2008, 08:32:41 PM
My experience was almost pretty similar to this until Jerry sat down to chat with us (to take one of his enforced breaks, God knows he deserved it) and Jun dropped by, too. None of the other maids offered more interaction than simple (and shy) restaurant-style service though. Saturday afternoon was definitely really busy - so I guess recruitment of more maids would be a top priority for next year.

The food was, as expected, vastly overpriced, but actually not horrible quality, which was a welcome surprise.

The improved, larger space was awesome though.

Yes. Jerry definitely needed a break. Sorry I couldn't stick around for long, as I had to sit down with other customers at the time. FOR SURE, recruiting an adequate amount of maids is absolute top priority. Having 20 maids drop out at the last minute was very distressing. As for food, that was possibly the main complaint of the cafe every year. Sadly, I'm not sure if anything could be done about that as the service that serves food is apart from the maid cafe itself. The space was a nice improvement-- less cramp and a nice atmosphere. I'm glad you enjoyed the cafe, though. Stop by next year, and I'll be sure to manage more maids to interact with our patrons.

FanimaidCafe.com