B&W Ball complaint

Started by MissNintendo, May 27, 2008, 07:33:36 AM

dibbly

Quote from: mekalai on June 07, 2008, 01:13:22 AM
Hmmn, yeah, this year there were some seriously rude staff members.

I mean, if a little rule was broken, people would get -yelled at-. Things like bare feet in the rave, for example. I can understand why it's a rule, I can't understand why staff would be so insanely rude. I seriously watched like, eight people get reprimanded really rudely. Generally with the staff (there were more than one) gripping on their arm or shoulder. I know my arm was sore after the rave because staff decided to get in my face, too. I didn't want to get kicked out, so I obliged -- I wasn't actually aware of the rule until they pointed it out.

Next year, can you please talk to your staff about personal space? That touching, gripping, pulling, tugging is NOT a way to get the attention of someone? Some people have serious qualms about being gripped like that. What if the person had some sort of trauma related to a grip like that? Or if they accidentally rip someone's gorgeous dress? A costume or dress that had cost money, and time, be it work hours to buy it, or craft hours to make it.

The staff for the past three years have been great, but this year, all of a sudden, they went way beyond boundaries. Any little rule they could nitpick at, they would. Which is acceptable, but it's the way that they did it. I heard nonstop complaints about the staff all weekend long from my friends. Yes, rules are important. No, you do not have to be rude to enforce them.

--Also

I wanted to thank the staff who have replied here already for being sincere and truly being concerned. That's a good sign to everyone that because of staff like you, the overall workforce next year will improve!

you know, i've worked for security before. if any staffer would of made a grab for me or any of my company, i would of put them in an arm lock. yelling is one thing, being rude too, but thats assault and no one should put up with that. if it would of caused a scene or if i would of been taken to con ops. i would of gladly gone to set an example for any other hot headed staffer.

p.s. im volunteering next year. just to know some ones keeping people safe the right way. 
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

fold

I believe i will volunteer next year as well.

I've been in love with con since the first time I set foot there, and while this year was no less fun, some of the staff made it a lot harder.

I whole heartedly believe in the rules and the tightening of the rules, as the con gets bigger, and we are under more scrutiny we cannot get away with as much. But there is a DEFINANT difference between enforcing the rules and going overboard. I have heard this year that staffer have asked people to break glasses, have broken humidors, and torn dresses, all in their overzealous attempts in enforcing the rules.

i myself was yelled at for a consensual glomp. Not much really, but for someone who HAS read the rules this means a lot- consensual glomping is not outlawed, yet. But should it become so, i'd stop. I understand the importance of following the rules.

my boyfriend and I were the harbingers of a couple strange events such as fan fishing, The Fantastic Super Amazing Game Show, and the end of con parade. On the second night of fan fishing we were (rudely) told to stop, and we did. We didn't argue, even if we were somewhat confused and hurt. Confused because we had been approached by other staffers and they told us what rules we should be observing, if we wanted to continue. We even JOINED by a couple of rovers at one point. But we stopped anyways. I would not have hurt the staffers to ASK, and while it would have taken time it would have been nice if they had explained what we had done wrong instead of just yelling and flashing their badges. We are not hooligans, we just want to have SAFE fun and give away candy...

I've also heard that staffers were crazy under-staffed this year. There are horror stories of people volunteering, showing up for their badges and then not showing up to work one day. This, i feel, and all may not agree with me, explains some of the hostility. It does not, although, warrant ANYONE getting grabbed unwelcomely, and is even hypocritical when you consider how hard staff is trying to prevent unwanted glomping- isn't it the same theory? Anyways this was the MOST the most memorable con I've ever attended, for good and bad reasons, and I plan on doing my best to see that next con is better and less hostile but just as safe.
are you my one and only pumpkin?

..still searching...

Poacher

Well next year I wont be cosplaying as Wolfwood EVERY day of the Con, so i kinda toyed with the idea of volunteering for staff work next year (i'll be wearing a costume thats more intricate but easier to move/interact.)

Its nice to see that some staffers still cosplay, i find it makes interacting with them easier...geek-to-geek as it were, rather than Geek-to-Obvious-Authority-Figure.
~Butchering the art of Zen one living room at a time~