Artist Alley sales and taxes

Started by mlarad, February 28, 2015, 08:35:59 AM

mlarad

Hello, I have a question for those that sell ocassionally in the artist alley and websites like Etsy

Do you include the sales you make in the artist alley and/or personal website in your taxes?
do you claim as hobby sales or income?

First time selling crafts and a little confused. I live in California. Thank you.

Imperial

as long as you have a store front, you do have to do taxes still. It depends on weither it is your main income for the year or not to determine it is hobby sales or primary income as for state tax though. Recepts are your friend in this matter.

phr34kish

It depends on what kind of taxes you're talking about:

• If you mean sales tax reporting, you only include sales that were made to and in California.  So that would include everything sold in person at a California Convention and any online sales you delivered to a California address.
  • If you're talking about your personal tax return ALL of it must be claimed as income. If you kept good records of your receipts and mileage during the year you can itemize you expenses and get deductions. But all income from any sales outlet must be included.

If you're that confused, I do recommend calling the BOE. They're certainly the most friendly and willing to help of any government body I've worked with. And they can help you with most if not all of your taxes on the Sales side. In either case you should probably consult a CPA for detailed questions. Cover all your bases. :)