Question about foams.

Started by Gatsby, May 29, 2008, 12:40:00 PM

Gatsby

So I'm planning on making a two swords out of foam, but I'm fairly n00bish about this part and am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what foam would make the sturdiest swords. I read some guides that recommend closed-cell foam while Avatrix's guide recommends rigid insulation foam. I'm not really sure which would be best.The longest sword (at this point) is I think around 35-40 inches if that matters.

KindaRandomKris

Proud SJSU Spartan - because hell is warmer than San Luis Obispo.
-
I take random people's AIM sn's and put them on my buddylist.
And then I never talk to them and forget who they are.

Gatsby

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems insulation foam is rather liked. Hmmm... I think I might have some lying around my house so i could try making a prototype and see how it holds up. Anyone else have input?

vasher

If you're going to make it out of foam, I would strongly recommend coating it in a hard shell (or at least the support structures), as (any) foam is very weak on its own.  Fiberglass, papermache, layers of cloth and glue...

Also, if you're making something like a katana or narrow rapier style sword, I'd recommend going for wood or hard plastic sheeting instead.  Foam is better for Big Friggin' Swords like the Buster sword or Soul Edge.

XpHoBiaX

For the bladed guants I made on my pred costume, I used sheets of craft foam. Cut out a larger design of the blades and glued it all together. Then I cleaned up the overall design using a dremmel tool, and put a coat of regular elmers' glue over all of it, then spray painted them with chrome. (I ran out of the better stuff XD)

It was okay for what I was doing, and was happy with it. It didn't hurt anyone and if I got bumped into, there was no real damage. Next year though, my stuff would be cast out of resin and I will have a latex suit. So yeah....no more foam.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??