Favourite Badges over the Years?

Started by mekalai, May 29, 2008, 03:05:59 PM

mekalai

I've been going to Fanime for four years now, next year will be my fifth. I've been pre-registering since 2006 (where I got the rather commendable -first-time-numbah- of 848).

Going as far back as you'd like, which year did you like best, badgewise? Whyso? Do you want to say why you didn't like the other ones?

Out of the three years I've gone, and only taking into account the badges I personally have gotten, I -really- liked 2007's badges.

This year, the lines were really strange on mine. I had the kimono-girl with brown hair? The lack of outlines in certain places just really bugs me, because it makes it look only half complete. I like outlines. Other than that, I think that all the text on it was way too straight and square, and that the background was boring. It looked flat and amateurish compared to the last two years.

2006 would have been better, I'm sure, except that the colouring seemed awkward to me. I got the girl with the four pigtails? She's wonderfully drawn.. but she's entirely green. o_o I -really- love the background though. Out of all three years, 2006 has my favourite backgrounds. They were detailed, and just... really cool.

My FAVOURITE was 2007, like I already said. I got the girl holding Earth in her hands? The entire card looks so professional. The one major issue... is that it says underneath "FanimeCon 2007" (which was written really awesomely) "/commence operations 05.25.06 until 05.28.06."

2007! 07!!!

But yeah. It  ALSO looked awesome, because I was fan numbah 0196. x3
:: poke ::

blancoisma

I've been going since 2003, and my favorite badge has got to be from 2003 with a picture of Robin from Witch Hunter Robin on it.

One thing that I have to take into consideration is that there are different pictures on the badges for the same year. So for example, I can easily say that 2004's horrid horizontal badges were ugly, but I did like some of the artwork on the badges that my badge didn't have. Does that make sense?

Anywho's, I keep all my badges hanging over my head, makes smile everytime I see them and reminds me of Fanime.
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

mekalai

I keep them in my "mini-hall" as I call it. Basically my door out is in this... indent in the wall. O_o I keep it on the wall so that every time I go in or out, I see it.. and grin. Like so: =D

Kandybar

...I've never noticed that 2007's says 06 on it before.  Woo.

mekalai

Quote from: Kandybar on May 29, 2008, 06:19:50 PM
...I've never noticed that 2007's says 06 on it before.  Woo.

Honestly didn't notice it myself until I took 'em and examined them all today. xD

Sucrose

I was a little disappointed that other than the artwork, this year's design was really close to last year's; I liked last year's better, frankly. The past few years have been pretty similar in a lot of ways, actually, now that I look at them. Next year it would be cool to see something different, like a big change, or at least a different background color from dark blue.

I sort of disliked the whole lanyard business instead of the neato clips like there were before, but I know it was probably in an effort to get people to keep their badges visible and harder to lose and all. (Even though I took mine out of the sleeve and safety-pinned it to my purse anyway...)
In mammals, Sucrose is digested in the stomach, into its component sugars, by acidic hydrolysis. The Glucose and Fructose are then absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine. (Lactose just isn't cool enough to enter into it.)

Kaura117

Quote from: Sucrose on May 29, 2008, 10:41:47 PM
I was a little disappointed that other than the artwork, this year's design was really close to last year's; I liked last year's better, frankly. The past few years have been pretty similar in a lot of ways, actually, now that I look at them. Next year it would be cool to see something different, like a big change, or at least a different background color from dark blue.

I sort of disliked the whole lanyard business instead of the neato clips like there were before, but I know it was probably in an effort to get people to keep their badges visible and harder to lose and all. (Even though I took mine out of the sleeve and safety-pinned it to my purse anyway...)

I will have to agree to disagree with you here, as I loved the lanyards and plan to put mine through plenty of mileage. It's sturdy, it's convenient, and it does the job excellently well. Want another one next year- I'm thinking about starting a collection.

SOawesomeness

I have two years worth of member's badge, not including a paper one from '06 and two year's worth of staff badges... but my badges are all pretty... my childrennnnnn.... >.>

The one I like most out of my very limited collection is this year's members badge (the one with the girl on it...). My last year's one had a guy with headphones, and I really didn't like it... Staff badges don't count for me because they're really plain. :00
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

mekalai

Quote from: Kaura117 on May 29, 2008, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: Sucrose on May 29, 2008, 10:41:47 PM

I will have to agree to disagree with you here, as I loved the lanyards and plan to put mine through plenty of mileage. It's sturdy, it's convenient, and it does the job excellently well. Want another one next year- I'm thinking about starting a collection.

I really liked the lanyards as well.

Again, I'll have to agree to disagree. For example, I think that the dark blue background is a nice staple for each year. The backgrounds are always -different-, but they still have just the right level of consistency. If you go to many cons, it makes it easier to go "These are my Fanime badges, these are my Otakon badges." I don't go to any cons other than Fanime, but I have friends who do, and they like that too.

I really want to go to more cons starting next year, anyways, so y'know.

~~Loktera~~

I don;t know... The lanyard seemed kinda flimsy to me... Mine actually started coming unsewn, that kinda sucked.

I kinda like the art on the badges though. Well... mostly because the blonde guy seems to look alot like me... Hopefully entirely by coincidence.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

SOawesomeness

Quote from: ~~Loktera~~ on May 29, 2008, 11:10:20 PM
I kinda like the art on the badges though. Well... mostly because the blonde guy seems to look alot like me... Hopefully entirely by coincidence.
Actually, no... the artists like to stalk you when you're not looking... (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Stormfalcon

I've got prereg badges going all the way back to '97 on a chain (along with the Otakon '99 badge that the chain came with), and I'd say that my favorite remains the Fanime '97 badge.  That year, they took photos around Foothill College campus and overlaid anime characters over the pics as if they were actually there (mine was of Miyuki-chan from Miyuki-chan in Wonderland).  What I liked about it was that the use of photo backgrounds gave it an additional local flavor, and I think it'd be nice if they did it again using the mascots we're currently using (i.e. taking photos around downtown SJ and setting up illos of the mascots to make it look as if they were actually part of the photo)

Edit: oh, and the chain of badges along with the Fanime '08 one can be seen here: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j73/Stormfalcon_sj/Fanime%202008-05-26/IMG_0513.jpg

My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Barnes

Quote from: Stormfalcon on May 30, 2008, 12:49:10 AM
Edit: oh, and the chain of badges along with the Fanime '08 one can be seen here: http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j73/Stormfalcon_sj/Fanime%202008-05-26/IMG_0513.jpg

Is that a Knight Saber on the 99 badge?  :o
As for my favorite, I'll need to look at my badges and get back here.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Shinsengumi

All my badges are good. The only things is that this years badges they kinda spelled my last name and my fan name wrong.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

SukieNeko

I enjoyed this year's and last year's badges a lot, but I mainly wanted to chime in and say how much I loved the lanyards. Hopefully they'll return next year.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Barnes on May 30, 2008, 01:10:35 AM

Is that a Knight Saber on the 99 badge?  :o
As for my favorite, I'll need to look at my badges and get back here.

Yup, that's Priss all right :)

My DeviantArt Page:

mekalai

I KNOW YOUR NAME, AND SHALL NOW PROCEED TO STALK YOU, AND/OR STEAL YOUR IDENTITY... SOMEHOW... IF I WERE THAT L33T. (...I do not use 1s and 7s. They look dumbz.)

Stormfalcon

Quote from: mekalai on May 30, 2008, 02:28:48 PM
I KNOW YOUR NAME, AND SHALL NOW PROCEED TO STALK YOU, AND/OR STEAL YOUR IDENTITY... SOMEHOW... IF I WERE THAT L33T. (...I do not use 1s and 7s. They look dumbz.)

Big whoop.  You could've walked up to me at the con and found out the same information from my badge, the same as any of us.  *shrug*

My DeviantArt Page:

sykoeent

This was my first time going so I really don't have a best of... but... the way these are designed, it reminds me of Comic-Con badges from... 1992! When their badges were good!

mekalai

Quote from: Stormfalcon on May 31, 2008, 07:58:14 AM
Quote from: mekalai on May 30, 2008, 02:28:48 PM

Big whoop.  You could've walked up to me at the con and found out the same information from my badge, the same as any of us.  *shrug*

Really was a joke. >.>; Dumb joke, now that I read it, but I was probably overcaffeinated, like I always am!