You think that the protesters will return next year.

Started by Mister_E, May 29, 2008, 11:53:15 PM

Danger

The "Jesus Loves You" guy was hella cool. So nice about it.

I was the guy dancing behind the protesters in my Sarah Palin mask. Can't wait till they come back next year!

vash9898

lol how the Nick D. Wolfwood cosplayer was hold his cross upside  down next to the protester XD

destranacion

hey guys! its jesus! i just wanted to thank all the rovers for keeping it a peaceful and safe year. i want to thank also the jesus loves you guy for being cool. just as a note for next year when they come back(you know they will) help the rovers do their job and keep the driveway/ loading zone that separated fanime from the protesters clear. if you wanna go to the other side go around and stay on sidewalks.

with that said.. awesome job. we showed them once again that we mean serious business
pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

BWolfwood

So I was thinking it could be fun if they showed up next year.

I think this time instead of standing in front of them and opening my black wing, I would bring my Tri-Gun Cross instead.

We could get all the cosplayers that have any sort of religious references to them and stand in front of the picketers facing the convention center. 

A line of Wolfwood's and Crosses would make an awesome picture with the protesters in the background. 

We can make some of our own signs as well:  "Jesus loves cosplayers too!"  (This is response with the "Just be your selves" references they were making).

Sound like fun?  Or a little to twisted?  Any other Ideas?
How can I make it move.....?

deonchan

Quote from: BWolfwood on May 26, 2009, 04:54:35 PM
So I was thinking it could be fun if they showed up next year.

I think this time instead of standing in front of them and opening my black wing, I would bring my Tri-Gun Cross instead.

We could get all the cosplayers that have any sort of religious references to them and stand in front of the picketers facing the convention center. 

A line of Wolfwood's and Crosses would make an awesome picture with the protesters in the background. 

We can make some of our own signs as well:  "Jesus loves cosplayers too!"  (This is response with the "Just be your selves" references they were making).

Sound like fun?  Or a little to twisted?  Any other Ideas?

IMO It's a bad idea. It's giving them what they want and adding more fuel to the fire. Sooner or later this is going to become a broken record

- Preachers come to con and preach
- Fans get annoyed or counter protest
- Fans devise scheme to try and annoy preachers by using anime and internet meme references that the preachers wouldn't know from Adam (da dum bum ching!)
- SJPD is call and annoyed themselves since according to the law preachers have done nothing wrong (again)
- Rovers are called in to disperse the fans and everything goes back to normal

Lather, Rinse, Repeat 365 days from incident.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Liquid

Quote from: destranacion on May 26, 2009, 04:29:46 PM
hey guys! its jesus! i just wanted to thank all the rovers for keeping it a peaceful and safe year. i want to thank also the jesus loves you guy for being cool. just as a note for next year when they come back(you know they will) help the rovers do their job and keep the driveway/ loading zone that separated fanime from the protesters clear. if you wanna go to the other side go around and stay on sidewalks.

with that said.. awesome job. we showed them once again that we mean serious business

<3

I still think you should have taken my suggestion Monday and led the crowd near the fountain in a song of Kumbaya. :D

But yeah, everyone from our convention was extremely nice, polite and understanding.  :)

Also, I was not out there for the day the Jesus Loves You Guy came out (I was Rovering another location), but I heard only positive things about him.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Dagger-6

Quote from: destranacion on May 26, 2009, 04:29:46 PM

<3 also.

Monday went wonderfully smoothly.  Everyone just gathered around Jesus by the fountain and took some pictures with our nice mobile background that regularly shows up.

I know it's not as fun, but it's a lot safer and honestly, is probably a better way of dealing with them since you probably have as a good a chance of convincing them to leave with a counter-gathering as they have of converting you to their religion through their unique style of preaching.

If people do want to go talk to the "preachers", we just want to limit it to small groups (no more than one or two talking to each of them) so that we don't have large crowds blocking the way, which was the issue SJPD got called out to handle on Saturday.

Oh, it's days like that I wish I had a magical universal remote control so that I could hit "Mute" or at least put it on "Espanol" (or "Nihongo" in the spirit of Fanime).

BSaphire

Quote from: Enkai on May 26, 2009, 01:57:41 PM
Quote from: deonchan on May 26, 2009, 01:07:12 PM

Though they may not listen to us (con staff) they definitely fell in line when SJ's finest arrived. These guys know how to play the game and they play it well. The best thing we can do it ultimately ignore them. Remember:

QuotePsalm 58:3-5 (King James Version)
3The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.
4Their poison is like the poison of a serpent: they are like the deaf adder that stoppeth her ear;
5Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers, charming never so wisely.

QFT.  One good aspect of being locked in my room most of the day dealing with masquerade stuff is that I didn't have to deal with these bozos.  I think most of my friends have heard my ranting (and I can tell my tone of voice changes markedly when talking about these guys), and they know that this group sickens me more than it does any of them.  Whatever happened to showing God's love to others by showing you know, God's love?   Not trying to scare people.  Makes me sick.  And they came back Monday?  >.<
Well here is a side note to my previous post...
As I was talking to the lady holding the "turn to Jesus..." sign there was a guy in a yellow shirt with an A on it who was holding a small Jesus loves you sign. He heard everything I was saying to the woman and was also discouraged by her lack of "Hearing" me and her rudeness towards me. He just shook his head in disbelief.

I later saw him out in front right by the Marriott (after the other protesters had left) and the first words out of his mouth was "I was not with them." I stuck my hand out to shake his hand and said, "I know, that is why I wanted to thank you for showing that God is love and kindness." He replied, "I'm sorry they did that and most of the people think I am with them." I told him to just keep on doing it the way he was and it would be ok. He seem to be more at ease after that. I wish he had come back Monday.

So for what it is worth not all of them were obnoxious... Just the one's screaming for four hours and being antagonistic. There are those out there who are trying to reflect the love ^^)

B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Dracil

I think I talked to that guy too.  Definitely was a lot more reasonable than the others.  He said that he just goes to every convention.  Wherever there's a lot of people.  Fanime isn't some special thing to him.

Liquid

Quote from: Dracil on May 27, 2009, 12:28:51 AM
I think I talked to that guy too.  Definitely was a lot more reasonable than the others.  He said that he just goes to every convention.  Wherever there's a lot of people.  Fanime isn't some special thing to him.

This is the same for all of the protestors we saw. The police informed us (Rovers) of this. Fanime isn't something special to them and they do it for all large gatherings at the SJCC.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Dagger-6

But we provide our own Jesus!

How many gatherings can they claim to do that?

Give me my special points, darnit.

G.I.R

Quote from: trooper715 on May 27, 2009, 11:35:41 AM

Comic con had a Buddy Jesus last year...                     ...with a halo.   ;D

Liquid

Quote from: G.I.R on May 27, 2009, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: trooper715 on May 27, 2009, 11:35:41 AM

Comic con had a Buddy Jesus last year...                     ...with a halo.   ;D

Copy cats.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Raydere

On my way back from Pizza My Heart, I had to re-enter the con center via the entrance on the Marriott side so I could avoid the protesters.

It was all good though. Got to regroup with my Ace Attorney gathering buddies by taking this route.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

RaWrBeRt

BrightHeart76

Sigh...I was trying to run a gathering of over 100 people during their screaming rampage.  My voice is still a little raw.  lol.

However, I was proud of the Naruto cosplayers at the gathering for focusing on the gathering and ignoring the protesters.  They simply weren't worth our time.  We had much more fun things to do.

I didn't even go down near the protesters, so I can't comment on what was happening there.  However, things up at the gathering went well.  Ignoring worked well for me.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mister_E

I'm glad that I didn't miss them this year if I took that nap in my hotel room I would of been pissed afterwards.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Runewitt

Quote from: Danger on May 26, 2009, 02:05:03 PM
The "Jesus Loves You" guy was hella cool. So nice about it.
agree'd. i talked to him for almost ten minutes. he told me that he disaproved of what the protesters were doing, and he was there to show support for the con goers.
also, i was holding the Jesus Loves Hentai sign up for a while, but had to run back to my room and ended up giving it to some guy, along with my sharpie.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Dagger-6

I'm watching through all the videos now. =P

My friend says we should post up signs.

Pointed toward the bus stop "Free Speech Zone".

Toward the convention "Don't Feed the Trolls"