I've always been curious...

Started by FanFicGuru, May 30, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

FanFicGuru

So, how exactly does all the money that flows into the convention work? The way I see it, you use the pre-registration money to pay for things like the bands, reserving the convention center, etc. What about the money you make from at-con registrations?

The treasurer or someone would probably know, right? I'd appreciate an answer.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

FinalShadows

I would think that it goes to next year's con :P
Who should I call next? The Shrimp?

Jerry

Unless the official ARG/FanimeCon Treasurer decides to speak/post.

I believe that information is classified.

That plus from my impression is that ARG/FanimeCon was meant to be an non-profit organization.

Thus any "additional" proceeds or donations would go towards Future Conventions... remember we have FanimeCon for AT LEAST another 3 years :)

Come to think of it. 3 years is almost like a presidency or Term in a Senate office. thats funny I LoL'ed.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Jerry on May 30, 2008, 01:33:37 PM

That plus from my impression is that ARG/FanimeCon was meant to be an non-profit organization.

Thus any "additional" proceeds or donations would go towards Future Conventions... remember we have FanimeCon for AT LEAST another 3 years :)

Come to think of it. 3 years is almost like a presidency or Term in a Senate office. thats funny I LoL'ed.

Classified eh? *sigh*

I would understand if at-con money went to next year's convention...but doing the math I'm not sure how Fanime could pay for everything from pre-registered income alone.

Also, how many people came this year? I want to know how big it was compared to last year.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Kaura117

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 30, 2008, 01:35:55 PM

Classified eh? *sigh*

I would understand if at-con money went to next year's convention...but doing the math I'm not sure how Fanime could pay for everything from pre-registered income alone.

Also, how many people came this year? I want to know how big it was compared to last year.

If you are to look into your convention guide, you'll notice quite a lot of advertisements.

Ad space is NOT given out for free, I'll note.

Erin

Quote from: Kaura117 on May 30, 2008, 01:37:17 PM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 30, 2008, 01:35:55 PM

Classified eh? *sigh*

If you are to look into your convention guide, you'll notice quite a lot of advertisements.

Ad space is NOT given out for free, I'll note.

neither is dealers' space, AA space, etc (at least as far as i know). i'm pretty sure we also have sponsors or something that help with the funding for the convention.

the numbers that i am hearing are that we broke 13000 this year...there hasn't been a final official count yet (last i checked on the # of check-ins we had it was over 12000), but all we know is that there is a 30% growth from last year.  the funny part is that we checked in more people on friday than we did on saturday ;p but more people on friday picked up their pre-reg badge on friday, while more people checked into at-con on saturday.
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

astroboy

Sunara Ishi

I kinda just assumed almost all the money flowing into fanime from one year (including pre-reg and early reg.) went to the next years con. It has to pay for itself... -.-;

Probably stuff like guests, paying for convention space, advertising for fanime, paying for services for the guests (room, food, etc.), renting arcade games, etc etc.

I'm sure a bit is also held in reserve just in case. I would place a bit of backup money for the next year in case hardly anyone shows up... -.-;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

surfofpewter

The Convention runs on a pre-con budget... we try not to spend money we don't have. 

I know that there are a lot of checks written on the last day to reimburse people for up front expenses, some of our vendors are paid when they pick up their products at the end of con.

But you can't get next year started without some seed money for those vendors that want payment up-front.
Sara
ConOps Day Shift Lead
'08, '07, '06

womanaconda

Oh, my favorite is when attendees think that staff members get paid. LOLOLOL yeah I wish. Well, unless you count hugs and a great lack of sleep as payment...

Steve.Young

Quote from: womanaconda on May 30, 2008, 03:46:59 PM
Oh, my favorite is when attendees think that staff members get paid. LOLOLOL yeah I wish. Well, unless you count hugs and a great lack of sleep as payment...

WAIT, HOLD UP!

We get PAID!?

LAWL! *Dies from laughter*...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Tony

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 30, 2008, 01:28:18 PM
So, how exactly does all the money that flows into the convention work? The way I see it, you use the pre-registration money to pay for things like the bands, reserving the convention center, etc. What about the money you make from at-con registrations?

The treasurer or someone would probably know, right? I'd appreciate an answer.
You could probably get general answers, but there are very solid and traditional reasons for not giving out the details. Businesses generally don't do that.

Basically, money flows in bursts over the year and we use it to pay expenses. Some expenses are before the con, some are due at the con, and some come after the con ends. There's overlap in that, so it's difficult to describe... and we don't really want to. (It's private, and it's terribly dry.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014