fanime cooldown gathering?

Started by destranacion, May 30, 2008, 11:08:01 PM

destranacion

we should have some kind of gathering again soon maybe in june as a kind of cooldown after fanime? im up and can give a few people rides wherever
pika ball player!

official jesus of fanime con!

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well where exactly would this cooldown gathering be, and where could you pick us up from?

You need to pick out time, dates, and places for us to hang out at. I'm sure many people would enjoy an irl gathering to help bring some of that FanimeCon magic back again...but we need specifics here.

Kazuko

THE BEACH

It is le perfect place for a cool down

or inside a giant freezer

ced1106

Mebbe do it at Jerry's place?

See Jerry's thread for discussion!
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

rude32

We should have something thats outside, since it is summer. Maybe like a bbq or something.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: ced1106 on May 31, 2008, 12:06:04 AM

I have a few major problems with that.

1. It's too short! It's only 1 hour
2. That's not even close to BART or any easy public transit
3. That's just too damned far and long to travel for a mere hour.

There are many of us that don't even live NEAR that area.

Steve.Young

It's not an hour, I just got back from there. When i left, there were plenty of people left there.

I was there for a good 3 hours.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 31, 2008, 12:30:23 AM
It's not an hour, I just got back from there. When i left, there were plenty of people left there.

Still though, it's not exactly an easy trip there via public trans or to get a ride there from Alameda/Oakland ^^;

RoverRoy009

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on May 31, 2008, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: Steve.Young on May 31, 2008, 12:30:23 AM

Still though, it's not exactly an easy trip there via public trans or to get a ride there from Alameda/Oakland ^^;

You're probably doing it (and reading his gathering threads) Wrong. Jerry's gatherings are NEVER short. Most of his Gatherings have always been EPIC, fun and enjoyable. Just Ask anyone who's been to his gatherings.

- No offense to you but a good friend of the boards- OtakuApprentice - lives out in Oakland and he can get to Jerry's place via taking bart to Fremont, Taking the bus from Fremont Bart to Milpitas Great Mall, and from there to Eastridge or Oakridge Mall for the last 2 years.

You're just not trying hard enough. if you see a problem with having gatherings in the San Jose/Bay area. Then have your own Gatherings in the Oakland/Alameda/East bay area.

Short & Simple, if you have a (good) gathering then they will come. Jerry's been having (Successful) gatherings since 2006, and he too goes out of his way to carpool people for those transportation challenged. If people choose to travel for Fanime (which USED to be a less than 1 day Con btw)... There are plenty of people WILLING to travel for good friends or a good time.
If you love An Cafe, you can learn to love other An Cafe Fans... Now LINE UP!

Ayanami Rei First Child

1. When I looked up Jerry's gathering it didn't give an x to y time properly, so it seemed like it only lasted an hour. I had already been notified before, and I stopped saying it after.

2. I never said it was impossible, now did I? I'm just saying that it's more impractical, and expensive at this point in time for me. With over $800 in credit card debt from Fanime, I have to see what's affordable and what isn't...

3. I DID try to host my own gathering....a BBQ in fact...but nobody from the Fanime Boards came. I was even offering free food at the time...

Really no need to get so worked up over this. I'm certainly staying calm. I just have a different definition based upon financial issues, about what's reasonable for me right now is all. I mean for all that I could just save money and go to Kin-Yoobi Con ^^;    Which is closer, AND less expensive travel-wise.

Spiritsnare

epic progressive

vox

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on May 31, 2008, 12:11:48 AM
Quote from: ced1106 on May 31, 2008, 12:06:04 AM

I have a few major problems with that.

1. It's too short! It's only 1 hour
2. That's not even close to BART or any easy public transit
3. That's just too damned far and long to travel for a mere hour.

There are many of us that don't even live NEAR that area.
.....you're kidding, right?! you HAVE to be kidding. you're not even trying.

*ahem* now that i got that out of my system, lemme get into specifics:

Jerry's gatherings are never an hour long; every single gathering that has happened has never been an hour long, it's always been at least a good four to five hours, typically longer than that.

As RoverRoy009 has mentioned, i do live in Oakland AND have made it out to many gatherings via mass transit; if you take into account the cost of gas and the distance traveled, i've actually saved alot of money using this method, and it would cost me more if i was driving ATM.

think about it: it isn't really worth the effort to pick up JUST ONE PERSON who lives in Oakland, whereas the majority of the people live in the San Jose area AND it takes an hour to get down here, another hour back up, and two hours more later to drop off said person and return; hence why i commute at least half the distance and meet up with someone at a middle point(often either Fremont Bart or GreatMall). if i wanted to(which i have offered many times), i could literally make the trip directly to jerry's place without people picking me up halfway.

well, heres where your planning went down the sink: yes, i remember you did try to host a gathering. only problem with that is WE'VE NEVER MET YOU BEFORE!!!!
getting into more detail: you tried to host a gathering, no one here has met you/seen you at a previous gathering meaning that we don't actually know you, save for the forums and no where else. had you attended a couple of gatherings beforehand, we would've met yet you and gotten to know you better, which in turn might have gotten a few people here interested.....and it goes from there.

you can't just start a gathering at your abode with no one actually knowing the person that is hosting it.

im not trying to be mean, so don't take it as that. take care of your stuff, clear your debts, and once your back in order, try again to make an appearance.

NOTE: there are only a few people from the boards that live in oakland, the majority is in the greater SJ area. shit, Mordyan(WHO LIVES IN FRIGGIN' UKIAH!!)makes an effort to come down sometimes, and he does without complaint of distance.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Ayanami Rei First Child

1. Stop mentioning the time. You're just repeating yourself. You're also sounding mean, since I ALREADY SAID it was over an hour.

2. If I didn't have debt, then I would be more then happy to have gone to the gathering.

3. I saw some people on here earlier talking about a gathering for us people over in the Oakland area, but so far no one else has posted after Fanime yet.

4. If you hadn't met me before, we could have gone out for coffee somewhere or something beforehand. Personally I would have met someone at a non-public place without worry from here, if I got to know them online first. I still would do that actually....but then again maybe I'm just too trusting. *Shrugs*

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on May 31, 2008, 03:52:49 PM
1. Stop mentioning the time. You're just repeating yourself. You're also sounding mean, since I ALREADY SAID it was over an hour.

2. If I didn't have debt, then I would be more then happy to have gone to the gathering.

3. I saw some people on here earlier talking about a gathering for us people over in the Oakland area, but so far no one else has posted after Fanime yet.

4. If you hadn't met me before, we could have gone out for coffee somewhere or something beforehand. Personally I would have met someone at a non-public place without worry from here, if I got to know them online first. I still would do that actually....but then again maybe I'm just too trusting. *Shrugs*
yea, the 'in debt' part happens to some of us because of fanime, which is why i mentioned that you try to take care of your debts; once you've recovered from your con expenses, try again.

sorry if i sounded mean, my bad.

there is a small amount of people(probably less than 10-12) that live within the Oakland area which include myself, Kodoku, Leslie_Luvs_Chu, as well as a few others, i think. Oakland really doesn't have much to do within it, which is why not many gathering ideas have spawned for stuff in the town. if anything, SF is the closest thing that would suffice as a gathering point for some of us.

oh yea, i dont do coffee; i hate the taste of the stuff(a mocha frappuccino, on the other hand....).
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: Kazuko on May 31, 2008, 12:01:49 AM
THE BEACH

It is le perfect place for a cool down

or inside a giant freezer

I second that motion.
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

XpHoBiaX

I was thinking about a gathering at the Lake I live on....but the lake is like totally draining out and the Marina is all shut down. @_@ So that would not be fun at all.
Not to mention its a far drive....@_@

My showing up all depends on where I am living at the current time of said gathering. X.X
I *know* several people know and have seen me. I just wish I lived in an area I could easily get to all of you. Aside from cons. lol

I will try to update all of you when I am in Sunnyvale. That is the best I can do, and hope I can get to you guys.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Jerry

anyway getting back onto topic...

We'll definately have LOTS of attempts to gathering this summer... no doubt on that.

As far as Cooling off, we'll either have an EPIC gatherng involving either the beach or Raging waters in San Jose.

Just keep an eye out for other gathering threads, and I'm sure something will work out.

The reasons why were all here is socialize and meet up, if there is a will and way (including ALL factors like distance, time, $$$, and who knows who) are always important things to consider.

and if you dont know someone, just start a conversation and go from there. Heck its how i met most of you guys. That and being annoyingly AWESOME on these boards.  ;D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kazuko

x: jerry is still on my people I need to assult list

I shall attempt this summer to go XD

@rei person thing: the last gathering you mentioned was an all girls sleepover...no guys yet you being the only guy...It DOES raise up alot of red flags In my book. You are lucky you live near a public transportation, where I live there isnt a way to even GET to san jose

@Otaku: Im shoving coffee down your throat you are going to lOVE IT KAY

Jerry

Quote from: Kazuko on June 02, 2008, 02:57:01 PM

@rei person thing: the last gathering you mentioned was an all girls sleepover...no guys yet you being the only guy...It DOES raise up alot of red flags In my book. You are lucky you live near a public transportation, where I live there isnt a way to even GET to san jose

Please do not 'a salt' me, i am NOT serving of french fries.

Actually *cough cough* didnt you know a guy who was able to travel up to visit you in Tracy *cough cough* so again if there is a will to visit a friend, there is always a WAY.

and please dont force Dr. O to drink coffee, some people have their likes and disklikes... besides. I hear coffee has some really akward side-effects.  :P

cmon, people lets be more positive in the spirit of making new friends and try out gatherings that are semi-resonable to get to.

At least its not like the gathering where we're asking everyone to afford to goto Hawaii, Japan or NYC.... yet.  ::)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kazuko

Quote from: Jerry on June 02, 2008, 03:38:33 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 02, 2008, 02:57:01 PM

Please do not 'a salt' me, i am NOT serving of french fries.

Actually *cough cough* didnt you know a guy who was able to travel up to visit you in Tracy *cough cough* so again if there is a will to visit a friend, there is always a WAY.

and please dont force Dr. O to drink coffee, some people have their likes and disklikes... besides. I hear coffee has some really akward side-effects.  :P

cmon, people lets be more positive in the spirit of making new friends and try out gatherings that are semi-resonable to get to.

At least its not like the gathering where we're asking everyone to afford to goto Hawaii, Japan or NYC.... yet.  ::)
Oh really jerry D: want to clue me in on this fabuloso mysterious personn

and Its ironic that Dr O likes a mocha frapp but not an actual mocha D:

does not compute!