Official eGaming 2009 Comments and Suggestions Thread

Started by AmazingKenchan, May 31, 2008, 01:05:30 AM

AmazingKenchan

Post all your comments and suggestions for 2009 here.  I am planning on keeping this thread updated, which is why I'm starting another one.  It's preapproved, you can lock Asuka's thread.  Here's what the staff has recommended so far:

Power Strips, we need them!

Labeling Supplies, eg. Stickers, tape, etc.

Lockboxes: need a count of systems, engineering, and a date to build

Stock controllers (we need more N64 and GameCube Controllers (with RIGHT

batteries))

Systems (we need more Xbox360s, Wiis, and setups for brawl)

Printer w/enough cartridges

We need a budget for all of this!!!!(Good luck)

Signup sheets for tournaments

Master Memory Card for Saves.

Tournament bracket software

Trained/informed tournament organizers.

More than ONE tourny operators.

Printed version of game inventory.

COPMUTERS!

Waver documents for staff AND Con. people.

A written list of everyone belongings

Better sponcers

Relible staff.  Never awsome people you dont knpow will show up.

Halo Tourny..... EVERY YEAR CANCLED!

Mutiple department heads.

During shut down time, you need more than one person running invantory.

Password pertected laptops.

Projector for the BIG tournys. 

Better tv's

Personal bitch's (volinteers)   (you need to go to con up)

Outside gamer table

Make sure the arcade is seperated from the computers.

Better people watching the door

Check badage numbers for FINALIST'S (not including the people we let in)

E-Gaming Manual

Better set up of info desk

make sure everything gets marked. (Masking tape.)

More moded systems.  (FLIP TOPS!)

More Sharpys and Pens

Poker for staff during shut down.

Staff food and water/drinks.

Fog Horn
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

AmazingKenchan

2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

abcbadcat

Projector would be soooo nice.

Possibly a table for portable gaming tournaments?

Reikon

Big signs so people understand the check out system. Some people were complaining they didn't know how it worked this year and didn't get to play.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

AmazingKenchan

Good point.  I think also I don't know if it was in the list, but the system should be clear on the forums before Fanime.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Tetsuo9999

If you help me with my (broken) modded slim, you guys could gladly use my blue PS2 (or the slim, if you want) for the weekend. It's no trouble at all for me to bring both.

Don't forget to put RF adapters on your list. Worst case scenario, you could get a bunch of those for the crappy non-composite TVs if new TVs are out of the question. Last I checked, those are only 5$ a piece or so.

Khaistyle

The IIDX tournament I was able to pull out of the fire, last minute. But I thought it was funny that Kenchan and I pretty much had to run the tournament ourselves.  ::)

Next year I would like to run full-blown bemani tournaments myself, with much more preparation and a bigger turnout (since I'll probably cross-post it on bemanistyle/ddrfreak/VJarmy/etc) Pop'n Music, IIDX, even Guitarfreaks and Drummania if you guys can find ASCs.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Xeluu

Quote from: Reikon on May 31, 2008, 07:38:14 AM
Big signs so people understand the check out system. Some people were complaining they didn't know how it worked this year and didn't get to play.
Yes. I was one of those people. Perhaps someone can clear this up for me? Was this the first year the Check-out system was in place? If so, it needed to be better advertised. I REALLY wanted to play SSBB this year, and it literally seemed to me that the only people playing were ones that had their own controllers. And I did walk around the gaming area multiple times throughout the con, never saw the sign to check things out. I only FINALLY found out about the system at closing ceremonies.

If you do the check out system again, BIGGER SIGNS. And have them facing each direction, so people will ALWAYS have a chance to see them.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Reikon

Quote from: Xeluu on June 01, 2008, 02:51:15 AM
Quote from: Reikon on May 31, 2008, 07:38:14 AM
Yes. I was one of those people. Perhaps someone can clear this up for me? Was this the first year the Check-out system was in place? If so, it needed to be better advertised. I REALLY wanted to play SSBB this year, and it literally seemed to me that the only people playing were ones that had their own controllers. And I did walk around the gaming area multiple times throughout the con, never saw the sign to check things out. I only FINALLY found out about the system at closing ceremonies.

If you do the check out system again, BIGGER SIGNS. And have them facing each direction, so people will ALWAYS have a chance to see them.

Yes, this was the first year it was used. We tried to make it obvious because the check out table was facing the entrance. If you looked at that area, it would be quickly obvious that we rented out controllers (not to mention, didn't you see our huge collection of controllers in the middle?).

I'm sorry you didn't get to play, but even if you somehow didn't see the check out area, you should have at least asked a staff member about how you could have played. You could have also asked to share a controller with someone who was playing. We encourage people to share controllers so there's less checking in and out involved. I'm sure most people would have been willing to share.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

Xeluu

Quote from: Reikon on June 01, 2008, 06:31:31 AM
Yes, this was the first year it was used. We tried to make it obvious because the check out table was facing the entrance. If you looked at that area, it would be quickly obvious that we rented out controllers (not to mention, didn't you see our huge collection of controllers in the middle?).

I'm sorry you didn't get to play, but even if you somehow didn't see the check out area, you should have at least asked a staff member about how you could have played. You could have also asked to share a controller with someone who was playing. We encourage people to share controllers so there's less checking in and out involved. I'm sure most people would have been willing to share.
Which entrance? There was more than one to the area, and I entered through both doors multiple times.

The other issue is that when it gets busy, it's harder to see what's going on in the middle. So, no, I didn't see the controllers, nor did my friends, and we were each there at different times. I figured it wasn't up to the staff to control the systems, but rather the players, as it seemed to be in the past, you simply showed up and more or less waited for your turn. I did ask at one point to share a controller, but the people were all over the place with whose turn it was to play and what not. *shrug*

I'd really recommend NOT checking controllers in and out next year. For the big games : SSBB, some of the other fighting games.... (my mind just drew a blank right now.... >_<  ) just zip tie the controllers to the console like you have in the past? I'm not exactly sure why you changed that system. (Stuff got stolen 07 or something?) I think it's pretty safe to say I wasn't the only one confused by the system this year.

From what I've read, gaming was pretty under-staffed this year; not trying to rag on you guys; just trying to hopefully get things changed for next year.
2016 Cosplay Plans

Reikon

Quote from: Xeluu on June 01, 2008, 07:19:15 PM
Which entrance? There was more than one to the area, and I entered through both doors multiple times.

The other issue is that when it gets busy, it's harder to see what's going on in the middle. So, no, I didn't see the controllers, nor did my friends, and we were each there at different times. I figured it wasn't up to the staff to control the systems, but rather the players, as it seemed to be in the past, you simply showed up and more or less waited for your turn. I did ask at one point to share a controller, but the people were all over the place with whose turn it was to play and what not. *shrug*

I'd really recommend NOT checking controllers in and out next year. For the big games : SSBB, some of the other fighting games.... (my mind just drew a blank right now.... >_<  ) just zip tie the controllers to the console like you have in the past? I'm not exactly sure why you changed that system. (Stuff got stolen 07 or something?) I think it's pretty safe to say I wasn't the only one confused by the system this year.

From what I've read, gaming was pretty under-staffed this year; not trying to rag on you guys; just trying to hopefully get things changed for next year.

The check out area was facing the direction the entrances were in. It was closer to the one near the artist alley.

I don't know what we can do about forcing people to take turns without babysitting them. I guess it got a bit confusing at the Brawl areas about who got to play next.

The problem with tying the controllers to the system is that there aren't any dedicated systems for any games, and sometimes zip tying the controllers will block the DVD from being removed. We need to be able to change games and move controllers to other systems when we need them since we were often short on controllers (especially GC ones). The only way I see zip tying working again is if we don't have as choices for what games and consoles to play, and the plethora of choices was one of the only things we did well at this year.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

JTchinoy

Quote from: Khaistyle on May 31, 2008, 10:45:47 AM
The IIDX tournament I was able to pull out of the fire, last minute. But I thought it was funny that Kenchan and I pretty much had to run the tournament ourselves.  ::)

If we spread these tournaments 4 hours apart, that would help prevent overlapping tournaments so i wouldn't be so stressed.  2 hours apart is for like 16 man tournaments on 2 systems.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Xeluu

Quote from: Reikon on June 01, 2008, 07:42:29 PM
Quote from: Xeluu on June 01, 2008, 07:19:15 PM
*snip*

The check out area was facing the direction the entrances were in. It was closer to the one near the artist alley.

I don't know what we can do about forcing people to take turns without babysitting them. I guess it got a bit confusing at the Brawl areas about who got to play next.

The problem with tying the controllers to the system is that there aren't any dedicated systems for any games, and sometimes zip tying the controllers will block the DVD from being removed. We need to be able to change games and move controllers to other systems when we need them since we were often short on controllers (especially GC ones). The only way I see zip tying working again is if we don't have as choices for what games and consoles to play, and the plethora of choices was one of the only things we did well at this year.
I don't expect staff to babysit. That's a waste of people who could be helping out elsewhere. It was a bad on the attendee's part. And understandable about the shortage for controllers and what not, but if you have popular games like that, in my opinion, it would make sense to just zip tie the controllers to that system since they're liable to be used all con.

As for the sign, I dunno, I NEVER saw it. I'd seriously recommend making more if you continue the system next year, even if it's just someone bringing a few pieces of posterboard in bright colors and writing something along the lines of
"CONTROLLER/GAME CHECK-OUT THIS WAY
              <-------
"

Or something of that sort. It was a shame I didn't get to play this year, but not the end of the world. But I'd definitely like to see something changed next year. It seemed like you had a great selection of games and consoles, you just didn't have the staff and since it was a new thing this year, something was bound to go wrong. Oh well.

Hopefully all I've said makes sense?
2016 Cosplay Plans

JTchinoy

on bleach blade battlers, when it got to like 5 people playing they decided to do "we're passing the controls around, even if u win".  i just won, so naturally i wasn't happy and i walked away.  >:(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Reikon

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 01, 2008, 08:56:59 PM
If we spread these tournaments 4 hours apart, that would help prevent overlapping tournaments so i wouldn't be so stressed.  2 hours apart is for like 16 man tournaments on 2 systems.

You could always just get omre people to help run the tournaments. The tournaments do need to start later though. Maybe start around 12 and end later in the night.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

Reikon

Quote from: Xeluu on June 02, 2008, 12:02:14 AM
I don't expect staff to babysit. That's a waste of people who could be helping out elsewhere. It was a bad on the attendee's part. And understandable about the shortage for controllers and what not, but if you have popular games like that, in my opinion, it would make sense to just zip tie the controllers to that system since they're liable to be used all con.

As for the sign, I dunno, I NEVER saw it. I'd seriously recommend making more if you continue the system next year, even if it's just someone bringing a few pieces of posterboard in bright colors and writing something along the lines of
"CONTROLLER/GAME CHECK-OUT THIS WAY
              <-------
"

Or something of that sort. It was a shame I didn't get to play this year, but not the end of the world. But I'd definitely like to see something changed next year. It seemed like you had a great selection of games and consoles, you just didn't have the staff and since it was a new thing this year, something was bound to go wrong. Oh well.

Hopefully all I've said makes sense?

As we admit, there were a lot of problems this year because of the new system. The first post in this thread will show you that we ARE trying to fix a lot of the organization issues we had this year. We just need better planning, which we sorely lacked this year because the system was new. Hopefully, we'll have enough active staff to do everything planned.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

JTchinoy

Quote from: Reikon on June 02, 2008, 05:28:39 AM
Quote from: JTchinoy on June 01, 2008, 08:56:59 PM

You could always just get omre people to help run the tournaments. The tournaments do need to start later though. Maybe start around 12 and end later in the night.
I'll probably be sure to train at least 4 other people in tournament running for 2009.  The people who helped me run the tournaments did a decent job for their first times, so I'm proud of that.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

AmazingKenchan

For signs and lockboxes and the sort, we will be using meeting dates to gather staff to get these things made.  I know a few signmakers, so we can probably get something professional put together.  I'll be testing various forms of sorting people's stuff, see what's the least damaging and most effective.  We didn't really lose a lot this year so far, so I don't think it's going to be a big problem next year.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Xeluu

Quote from: Reikon on June 02, 2008, 05:43:53 AM
Quote from: Xeluu on June 02, 2008, 12:02:14 AM
*snip*

As we admit, there were a lot of problems this year because of the new system. The first post in this thread will show you that we ARE trying to fix a lot of the organization issues we had this year. We just need better planning, which we sorely lacked this year because the system was new. Hopefully, we'll have enough active staff to do everything planned.
I know you're trying to get things fixed, sorry if it sounded like I was angry or accusatory. >_< Didn't mean it to be like that.

Just trying to give suggestions to how I might personally have/would try to fix it.
2016 Cosplay Plans