XpHoBiaX

Quote from: quantbits on June 01, 2008, 03:42:05 PM

So my first time cosplaying Hard Gay.
[/qoute]

I missed that?! *fails*

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

quantbits

I wore it for like 5 hrs b/c people missing shoots & shooting for 3 hours on & off was pushing me to my limit.

Had to have some fun in cosplay yo. =)

MirandaZero

Honestly next time some one says something like that just ask them which of MTV's disastrous shows they're from.

PS. Dear person who cosplayed Hard Gay, You are made of triumph. Enjoy your win.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: MirandaZero on June 01, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
Honestly next time some one says something like that just ask them which of MTV's disastrous shows they're from.

For serious? Saying something like that would just make you seem butthurt and socially inept in a really cheesy way.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Runewitt

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 31, 2008, 10:03:00 PM
This thread seems to come down to "I do something strange, why do people look at me as if I'm strange." If someone was wearing pants with only one leg, one army boot, one sandal, a shiny blue shirt, and had an afro, are you stating that you wouldn't feel as if it was strange? Accepting of it, yeah, but you would still think it was strange. The difference is, you'd probably keep it to yourself.
I HAVE pants that are missing a leg, i dont wear miss-matched shoes, my shirt is red, not blue, and WTF is wrong with an afro?
as a matter if fact, thats how i was dressed today while working in the back yard. (this area of post is meant humorously, even though its true)

i dont know whats wrong with Cosplaying in typical society as long as it isnt really outlandish IE Giant swords, Domo, SPARTAAAAA,or overly revealing cat-girl outfits, WTF is wrong with it? i'd wear my shinigami cosplay outside if there werent a convention, Hell i dressed as shrek-sans makeup and ears to run down to the store and no-one looked at me wierd.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Kaura117

Cosplay is, like most oddities of human behavior, niche behavior tailored towards specific tribal groups. If they don't identify themselves as Geek, you shouldn't expect them to understand. In fact, you should expect some level of hostility from those outside of memetic sets that do find cosplay acceptable. Hell, you'd be a hypocrite if you weren't expecting it, as subconsciously, we or most of us exhibit such traits ourselves (see: previous comments that suggest a half-witty response back to cosplay detractors).

You will, however, just make things worse for yourself if you react negatively in turn, whether defensively or offensively. Turn it aside instead. If you're meeting them on their terms, follow their social cues. If they're meeting you on yours, then whatever.

Idly, triple the emphasis on the stuff about meeting them on their terms if anybody plans to visit or even live in Japan. I hope everybody's aware that there's a greater than usual emphasis on conformism in mainstream Japanese culture?

MirandaZero

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on June 01, 2008, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: MirandaZero on June 01, 2008, 08:23:35 PM

For serious? Saying something like that would just make you seem butthurt and socially inept in a really cheesy way.

No not for serious... that would solve nothing, but it is ironic and made me smile. Cosplaying is a weird thing to do, but so is changing your style ever so many years to look like everyone else. Humans are strange little creatures and we all have strange little hobbies. Either way if you enjoy cosplaying then the best you can do is explain what it is and why you do it to those who don't have any knowledge of it.

It is very hard to convey a tone of whimsy through text. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

Saint-Vegas

Hard Gay is probably one of the more awesome characters Japan has ever introduced.

You're more daring than I could ever be, and I've mailed colorful hate letters to Michael Bay.

PSN: Saint-Vegas | MSN: [email protected]
Fanime 2008: Persona 3's Junpei Iori.

quantbits

Quote from: Saint-Vegas on June 01, 2008, 11:47:48 PM
Hard Gay is probably one of the more awesome characters Japan has ever introduced.

You're more daring than I could ever be, and I've mailed colorful hate letters to Michael Bay.

I think, personally, it takes a unique personality to be Hard Gay.
I just like being able to get away with crazy stuff, and to act randomly stupid to let loose of stress.

While I personally love being in the costume and entertaining, I do not enjoy seeing pictures of myself or youtube videos of myself.
I have to turn away, to be honest.

I'm strictly heterosexual, and I detest anything resembling yaoi at cons - ironic I know.
So I completely understand why some people avoid me. I'd avoid me too.  ;D

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: quantbits on June 02, 2008, 12:27:32 AM

I just like being able to get away with crazy stuff, and to act randomly stupid to let loose of stress.

While I personally love being in the costume and entertaining, I do not enjoy seeing pictures of myself or youtube videos of myself.

I'm strictly heterosexual, and I detest anything resembling yaoi at cons - ironic I know.

Not really. Hard Gay isn't really gay, he's just "brave" and "eccentric". It doesn't exactly take a unique personality to wear eccentric costumes/clothing-- just one who has taste for these sort of things pertaining fashion and entertainment. People like having fun and being eccentric for their enjoyment; it's a pretty normal thing to do. That's what most people at Fanime do. They go to have fun, be with people who want to have fun and share their fandom with them.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone cosplaying him. I liked watching Hard Gay's shows when I was younger, and I can see how cosplaying him would be fun. But as for most cosplayers, even if I respect the fact that they're having a good time and expressing their love for the fandom, spectators have preferences. If the Hard Gay cosplayer was a scrawny pale guy that barely filled out the costume, I wouldn't lie and say that it was a sight to behold. If it's bad enough to get me thinking to myself, "What was he thinking?", then I can see why someone would feel inclined to avoid the person. I personally don't mind it, but there's reasoning behind people's behavior. Another good example is a guy wearing a Mai cosplay in horrible make-up. *cough*Mikey*cough* and/or Man-Fey.

Some things are borderline awesome and excruciatingly painful to look at.

If I were to try and fit my own preferences, with my current body-type (flatchested, getting kind of tubby ;__;) I wouldn't be wearing a like... uh... revealing DoA Volleyball cosplay, because it's outside of my comfort zone, especially if people were to take photos of me. But if I saw someone else doing it, whether they be really scrawny or obese, while I'd turn my eyes from them and be somewhat aggitated that they would go through such extremes as to reveal their bodies inappropriately and had me witness it... the respect for them expressing their fandom is still somewhat there, even while in most cases, people do that for the attention and overexposed skin. XD;

I guess then, it also depends on attention-- as many cosplayers that we've seen and known have cheapened the idea with the intentions of doing it for lulz, attention, or just simply liking the character designs without caring much about loving the character itself.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Kaura117

Or doing it because it was easy. >_> (coughwhome?KeiichiMaebara'sharderthanitlooks!...okay,totallie)

(actually, I was rather proud of that one anyhow. <3 Taking a knife to the sleeves was a stroke of genius, as far as I'm concerned~)

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: quantbits on June 02, 2008, 12:27:32 AM

Oh, dear. That was you? My friend was one of the one's who yelled, "Omgosh! It's Hard Gay! Awesome!" XD
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy