Lolita-fied Characters

Started by DivineChaos, June 04, 2008, 04:28:57 PM

Kazuko

Quote from: (GG)Nami_Misaki on June 26, 2008, 09:14:27 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 26, 2008, 08:00:54 PM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 26, 2008, 08:28:18 AM
Except... loli isn't cosplay. o__o;

I have no problem with cosplay loli for cons, as long as it looks good and is obviously meant as a cosplay that has loli inspiration, or if the person dresses nicey as a loli, but is only able to wear the fashion at conventions for whatever reason. The problem I have with the vast majority of cosplay that claims to be lolis is that it doesn't fit the fashion at all, and typically looks very cheap. Sure, something like our example is loli-inspired cosplay, but that doesn't make it loli. If it were a cosplay that followed the fashion, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Then again, if they like wearing it, I really don't have any room to judge them. I mean, we all have to start somewhere, right? Actually, the girl on the left (err... bottom) of this pic isn't too bad, but everyone else in the pics posted look like they are in cheap Halloween costumes. Though, hopefully they learn from their mistakes, and in the future can make some better-looking costumes, since as I said, we all have to start somewhere, right? There is barely anything about them that shares aspects with lolita fashion, though, so it really bothers me to call them lolita. Maybe we can get away with lolita-inspired.

I'm pretty into lolita fashion, as well, but I'm a bit more open about it. I mean, if it is okay to make a "gangster" version of a character, or if it is okay to wear cat ears with jeans and a t-shirt, I don't see why it isn't okay to combine cosplay with any other fashion, as long as it looks good and you know what you are doing, and know that it is cosplay and not actually that fashion. Sure, it sets an example for others, but hopefully they will do their research and learn about what that fashion really is if they see something, and another person learning the loli ways can't hurt, as long as they learn it correctly and don't follow bad examples, right?

ewww Lolita cosplay D: thats like Ita Loli amirite!

Cosplay Lolita is the starter set of becomming a Lolita (sometimes!) Mainly Lolitas  who just wear it to anime conventions. But still it SHOULD I MEAN REALLY REALLY OMG NO CAT EARS OR LEGWARMERS be well coordinated and good! Decora girls/boys have the only exception to this law since They only have lolita esque Items such as an alice bow or a skirt, sometimes ouji pants

Im so mean when It comes to fashion =(

XD Legwarmers...i'm sorry..they look a bit off with the loli look D:
I know D: its like WTF NO *slap*

especially with wa-Loli outfits ;___; oooh I cringe

JiiiWiz

Quote from: Kazuko on June 26, 2008, 09:36:51 PM

I have no problem with cosplay loli for cons, as long as it looks good and is obviously meant as a cosplay that has loli inspiration, or if the person dresses nicey as a loli, but is only able to wear the fashion at conventions for whatever reason. The problem I have with the vast majority of cosplay that claims to be lolis is that it doesn't fit the fashion at all, and typically looks very cheap. Sure, something like our example is loli-inspired cosplay, but that doesn't make it loli. If it were a cosplay that followed the fashion, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Then again, if they like wearing it, I really don't have any room to judge them. I mean, we all have to start somewhere, right? Actually, the girl on the left (err... bottom) of this pic isn't too bad, but everyone else in the pics posted look like they are in cheap Halloween costumes. Though, hopefully they learn from their mistakes, and in the future can make some better-looking costumes, since as I said, we all have to start somewhere, right? There is barely anything about them that shares aspects with lolita fashion, though, so it really bothers me to call them lolita. Maybe we can get away with lolita-inspired.

I'm pretty into lolita fashion, as well, but I'm a bit more open about it. I mean, if it is okay to make a "gangster" version of a character, or if it is okay to wear cat ears with jeans and a t-shirt, I don't see why it isn't okay to combine cosplay with any other fashion, as long as it looks good and you know what you are doing, and know that it is cosplay and not actually that fashion. Sure, it sets an example for others, but hopefully they will do their research and learn about what that fashion really is if they see something, and another person learning the loli ways can't hurt, as long as they learn it correctly and don't follow bad examples, right?

Cosplay Lolita is the starter set of becomming a Lolita (sometimes!) Mainly Lolitas  who just wear it to anime conventions. But still it SHOULD I MEAN REALLY REALLY OMG NO CAT EARS OR LEGWARMERS be well coordinated and good! Decora girls/boys have the only exception to this law since They only have lolita esque Items such as an alice bow or a skirt, sometimes ouji pants

Lolita knee high socks are better D: Mostly on sweet lolis x3 But yeah, are you going as a lolita for fanime next year?
"Please don't.."

Kazuko

Quote from: (GG)Nami_Misaki on June 26, 2008, 10:54:12 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 26, 2008, 09:36:51 PM

Lolita knee high socks are better D: Mostly on sweet lolis x3 But yeah, are you going as a lolita for fanime next year?
I always do X3 on and off con grounds

Hopefully I will have a lot of sweet lolita peices :3

Nina Star 9

Well, keep in mind that I'm also of the mindset that as awesome as way too over-the-top loli outfits can be sometims, they just aren't suited to daily wear and should be considered more of a costume. ;P I know that I'm probably in the minority, especially with the recent popularity of things like deco loli, but seriously! Nothing like that should ever be worn as regular clothing! D:

I think that lolita has some room for costumey-ness, as long as it looks good, is what I am saying. Again, probably in the minorty, and would never do a cosplay lolita myself, but if people enjoy it, I really cannot judge, as bad as cosplay loli is~ I would like to see one good-looking cosplay loli, though, since I doubt it exists.

I'm pretty open about loli fashion, and I think that if someone knows how to break the rules sucessfully and still have it be loli, then they can go right ahead. Just don't call it loli if it isn't, which is what most cosplay loli (and all the examples in this thread) is. Not saying that people should do it or that I like it when people do, just trying to say that I really don't care if they do.

If it looks bad, then it is just another bad cosplay to me. No reason in me caring about it.

hen again, most lolita cosplay that I see takes characters that shouldn't be loli by any means and then gives them what looks like hot topic and some bad maid costumes threw up on them, which... is still just bad cosplay. XD;; I'm typing myself into circles here, aren't I?

JiiiWiz

Omg XD I don't like it when people just buy stuff from ebay or hot topic to just put on and call it 'cosplay' But what really bugs me is when they say that they made it etc and say it was hand made by them. v.v;
"Please don't.."

DivineChaos

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/xxaznduck22xx/Fanime%202008/100_0899.jpg

Not sure how come that would not be considered good.

1) It's definitely original.

2) It looks nice

3) It's an actual attempt to do something new.

JiiiWiz

Quote from: DivineChaos on June 27, 2008, 03:06:35 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/xxaznduck22xx/Fanime%202008/100_0899.jpg

2) It looks nice

Well...to me, the leggings are well er yeah. But overall, they look nice, I guess close to lolita..not really. Lolita inspired actually. It's definately original though.
"Please don't.."

Kazuko

2) It looks nice

Cat ears, tails, leg warmers and the maid apron/items are not Lolita at all (apron thats possibly accepted is the Heart one Imo)
The corset is overpowering the skirts so it looks like the corset goes O NOM NOM NOM giving a very ugly appearance, corsets should be flattering and not consuming a skirt.

Really short skirts are not lolita at all, the girl in the middle...yeah a decent lolita skirt should be a little bit above or at knee length

Needs MOAR petticoats to give the fluff

Its more Ero Lolita from the feel of the sleeves

Charis

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find lolified versions of Naruto characters to be particularly original.  Maybe it's the "sexy no jutsu", but it feels like it's been done (poorly) to death.

I'm not a follower of loli fashion, however, so take that as you will.

(That said, I have a "one of these days it'll get done" cosplay that's waloli-inspired, but it's more of a loli-influenced cosplay than anything else. I do intend to do my homework, however.  Lovecraftian stuff, heh.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Kazuko

Quote from: Charis on June 29, 2008, 08:53:08 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find lolified versions of Naruto characters to be particularly original.  Maybe it's the "sexy no jutsu", but it feels like it's been done (poorly) to death.

I'm not a follower of loli fashion, however, so take that as you will.

(That said, I have a "one of these days it'll get done" cosplay that's waloli-inspired, but it's more of a loli-influenced cosplay than anything else. I do intend to do my homework, however.  Lovecraftian stuff, heh.)
We should make babies some day <3

Doing homework for a lolita esque outfit is the best!

Jun-Watarase

2) It looks nice

Because it's a disgustingly distasteful idea. I can start wearing a really stylish-looking hat with ribbons on my ass. That's different, right? If I design it in a way to look aesthetically pleasing, it will look nice. It'd also be pretty damn new. But in the end, it's still just a hat on my ass, and a really idiotic and distasteful idea to bastardize both lolita fashion and cosplaying. (Not that America hasn't already have done that.)

Lolita is a fashion style, and people either wear it on casual occasions like normal clothing, or wear it to special occasions where they'd meet others that are interested in the style. Cosplaying a lolita would be like cosplaying a character that wears clothing that is considered to be lolita-styled, but still apart from the fashion or what would be fashionable within the modern take on its style. Cosplaying a character that isn't even DESIGNED to be anywhere close to being lolita, and then trying to design around it to MAKE it lolita... is just a sight for sore eyes.

Take a look at that photo you posted again. How could you even think that that tacky orange and blue dress isn't dreadfully ugly? It's not even a matter of just taste, anymore. It's about having ANY sort of standards... which I'd assume you'd have to set pretty damn low for you to be able to even like this. As for the other two, you can't even tell that they're supposed to be any character, save for the ridiculous Uchiha fan on her apron, they look like any other poorly designed weeaboo lolita outfit.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Charis

Quote from: Kazuko on June 29, 2008, 11:35:16 AMWe should make babies some day <3

Doing homework for a lolita esque outfit is the best!

Aw, you're so sweet.  XD

I have friends who are into lolita fashion.  I know how seriously some people take it.  Hell, anyone who's passionate about something is going to take it seriously, and get offended when others don't treat it with what they think of as proper respect -- it's only being human.  I guess, to me, it's trying to respect how they and others like them feel.  And okay, giving in to neuroses that say "do it properly!" and wanting it to look good.  Presumably everyone wants the looking-good part, at least. :3  There's always going to be interpretation and taste, and people who think something looks good.  Me, I don't find those outfits particularly pleasing to the eye, for a variety of reasons, all taken without even the basis of lolita -- but I'm sure some people did, even if it was just the thrill of a short skirt (which, let's face it, is an unfortunate but true trend in cons).
(And I'm gonna get off the soapbox now and go be neurotic about other things.)

(Also, I <3 the asshat analogy.  XD )
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Charis on June 29, 2008, 03:24:04 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on June 29, 2008, 11:35:16 AMWe should make babies some day <3
(Also, I <3 the asshat analogy.  XD )

Haha, thanks. Maybe I should market it and advertise it as "OFFICIAL JAPANESESES TREND!" o/

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

minakoluvsyou

Lolita fashion is so cute^.^ but I don't really think changing naruto intoi lolita form is very nice. Even thought i must admit the thought of Sasuke in lolita form makes me giggle

bunnycorpse

i'll be doing yaya-chan again, of course her being in lolita is a given.

BunofGovt

Just thought I'd pop in with one last remark since I'm only a few years into cosplaying myself.

Not since the Hot Topic Vash jackets have I seen anyone so angry about outfits and cosplay.  Cosplaying is for fans, done by fans, right?  If I want to throw an apron or lace on top of an outfit, that's my choice.  I like that some people are trying to do something different with a cosplay as I also appreciate someone who can be anal down to the last detail about an outfit such as special buttons or it can't be any lace, it's got to be lace with little hearts on it along the edge no more than an inch wide etc etc.  I know some people who are on the edge of snootiness because of the detail in their cosplay.  But some of us can't afford to be detailed but just want to look like a character.

Please, please don't shoot down someone just because of what they are wearing (unless it's just outrageously offensive).  A little more tolerance here, people.  Kazuko, I appreciate that you are knowledgeable about Lolita.  Don't belittle someone for lack of knowledge, please, rather educate them.  In a nice way.  Host another panel.  Link us to a website.

Sorry for griping, I've tried to read most of the posts here so if I've misunderstood some of it, I apologize.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Kazuko

Lolita isnt even cosplay at all, here in the US many have marked it as cosplay. Lolita is a fashion lifestyle and like all fashions there are going to be elitist anal bitches like myself who get really irritated about poorly done or badly coordinated looks, or at the fact that cosplay and Lolita dont even go hand in had. Sure there have been Inspired items like the outfits in rozen maiden and in chobits but those are not lolita outfits at all. Cat ears, maid aprons or maid headresses, leg and arm warmers dont really consititute lolita at all. Yet people still do it. Yes I am mean about it but at least im bringing my point across

There are proper ways too coordinate the look and In the things in the universe section there was a thread about lolita but I will TL;DR the link here http://www.lolitafashion.org/index.php this is a good site for starter lolitas

But as having a lolitafied cosplay character, Like Jun and Pryon said its not a good Idea, its very distasteful not to mention it is a bit of a sight for sore eyes when the outfit is poorly coordinated. to even change a character that isnt meant to be another gender or lolita is just so...wrong IMO

Its like If I were to make Leonidus from 300 a Female add some lace and be like HAY GAIZ IS DIS RORI? clearly its not meant to be. hes macho character lets leave him with his spray on abs and his masculinity in check, IMO i feel like it ridicules the character

BunofGovt

Thanks for the website, it was informative.  I do have some Japanese Lolita fashion magazines that I looked through and one thing I did notice, is that lace is not a requirement.  (Of course your petticoat or bloomers may have lace on them but the outer garments: skirt, blouse, headpiece, need not have lace.)  So simply adding lace to an outfit is not going to 'Lolita-fy' it.  Adding what appears to be an apron isn't 'Lolita-fying' either.  You might say instead that the Naruto-cosplayers 'maid-inspired' their characters instead of 'Lolita-fied', though I'll probably get slammed for saying that.   ::)

At any rate, give the cosplayers credit for trying something different, hope that they've read this thread and will do more homework/research if they attempt it again, and then let's just let this go.

One more note, Jan Kurotaki in her book Everybody Cosplay! showed a version of Sakura that, unless you knew the character well, looks original and unlike Sakura (except for her headpiece).  And in the anime, I thought only Naruto pulled the Sexy no Jutsu, even though there are gatherings for other characters in Sexy no Jutsu form.  I guess what I'm saying is, if someone wants to modify an outfit, let them try.  If they fail, that's their problem and we'll let them know, gently.  If they succeed, more power to them.

Oh, and the Leonidus example is too extreme, a better (bad) example might be putting Alucard (Hellsing) in a skirt and petticoat, adding ruffles to his coat sleeves and a ribbon on his hat.  Heaven forbid!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Kazuko

lol well I have one image of Leonidus so...

PREPARE FOR THE MACRO

JiiiWiz

Quote from: Kazuko on July 06, 2008, 03:42:11 PM
lol well I have one image of Leonidus so...

PREPARE FOR THE MACRO

HEAVENS! OH MY LORD. MY EYESSS.~
FORBIDDEN LOLITA RIGHT THERE XD
"Please don't.."