Lolita-fied Characters

Started by DivineChaos, June 04, 2008, 04:28:57 PM

Kazuko

Quote from: strawrose on July 26, 2008, 01:39:47 PM
Quote from: Kazuko on July 26, 2008, 01:11:31 PM
Innocent world is actual brand though, ooh but its cute :d it looks like its hand knit but the print is fooling me

Lolita inspired cosplay dosent have to be tacky but there are people who make it tacky such as adding legwarmers or cat ears, making it poor quality or a smaller skirt and my "favorite" Lace explosion, A cosplay of lolita inspiration needs to have the basic shapes such as a cupcake or bell shape for the skirt, My advice look up lolita handbook and it will help you alot or this http://www.lolitafashion.org/index.php

for lace I suggest cotton lace since rachel is a bit scratchy and the cotton is a nice soft touch (shakes a half fist at metamorphose)

If you are looking for a comission i Strongly suggest In the starlight, Fan Plus friend is kind of aweful at times, a girl I know spent 150 on a dress and it didnt even come close to the stock photo they had on their site

Hrm... it's probably eyelet?

Thanks for your help. ^_^ Actually, I am a fellow lolita who wears the fashion about three times a month. lol. I thought a lolita-inspired Ouran uniform would be perfect. I can't wait for In the Starlight to open again. ^_^ Do you think they'll still take commissions?
:3 yaay another lolita! well according to her website shes still taking orders for like petticoats and comissions so you should email her X)
I cant wait when she reopens its going to be awesome!

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: strawrose on July 26, 2008, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on July 25, 2008, 07:55:32 PM
Quote from: strawrose on July 25, 2008, 03:41:41 PM
I am thinking about commissioning lolita-esque ouran. <_< With venise and cluny lace, the right shape shape, cotton fabric and everything. Or would that just be ouran-inspired lolita? XD

*gets smacked by parasols and rocking horse shoes*

Well, you're commissioning something so you should abide by whatever your client wants done. My opinion, though, at least don't make lolita-esque versions... of their uniforms. Not only would that be tacky, it just wouldn't make any sense.

But I mean, what can you do, really? If that's what your client wants, you'll have to try to meet their expectations. If they decide to go with something like that, it isn't your responsibility to be worried whether or not they look retarded. The only reason that should be a concern is if you're running a business and having them advertise your work by wearing it, and you don't want to ruin the integrity of it by making them look stupid. The only way I can really see it somewhat working is just making original (and not based off any outfit in canon) lolita outfits suitable for each character, and them making it as distinguishing as possible with their wigs or something.

It would be a rendition of the female uniforms. I don't wear over-the-top dresses like Angelic Pretty. What i was thinking is that the costume must look like 3000 dollar uniforms that they're portraying. Fine lace that you find in lolita would do just that. What I mean is a Ouran version of this type of onepiece with lace on the bottom, the collar, and the sleeves:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/strawrose/a.jpg

Lolified-costumes don't HAVE to be tacky.

Oh, I had the impression YOU were commissioning the cosplays for someone else...

You could easily make a lolita-outfit inspired by their uniform's design, as it is simplistic and easily compatible in terms of sharing a detail or two into the new design. Since it's so simple, (Since you're just using the uniform's design with the customized length, right?) it could be both referred to as, "a lolita outfit inspired by their uniform" or "a lolita take on their uniform". UNLESS, you're making pretty much the original outfit, but adding "lolita" inspired details to make it appear more like a real-life portrayal of their uniforms, but with finer details... that isn't "lolitfying". That's just personalizing the style to make it look more realistic, which is probably fine in this case, if you choose your cosplay to look less cartoony. Lolitifying is making a bastardized version of a costume in canon, but with frills, lace, and bows when it doesn't have any.

And yes, lolita-inspired cosplays don't have to be tacky. There are many decent ways to actually make a lolita-styled rendition of another cosplay while still being tasteful and fashionable-- it just so happens that no one so far that I've seen has been able to do that without failing horribly.

I had first thought you meant the boys' uniforms. If that, there's really no way around making a "lolitafied" version for Ouran High School's school uniform without being tacky. While I can easily design something that isn't a complete eye-sore and fitting the criteria, in the end, it's still... a lolitafied version of their school uniform. The idea of it is already tacky. It completely destroys the POINT of their uniform. What meant to be clean-cut and studious being made into a lace and frill-infested abomination, tacked on with the distinguishing characteristics obviously like of that in canon... I'm not sure if that's my heart sinking, or me throwing up a little.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

strawrose

It's rather funny that you're saying this to a real lolita. o_o

Many Ouran host club cosplays I've seen were actually really tacky in themselves, although they tried to look like those in the anime. Adding luxurious touches to an outfit that's supposed to look like it's worth 3,000 dollars is an important effort in itself, no? Bell-shaped skirt, luxurious lace, modest cuts. That's REAL lolita. Not a "sexy" rendition of maid cosplay.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: strawrose on July 26, 2008, 02:19:24 PM
It's rather funny that you're saying this to a real lolita. o_o

What was the point of including that, really? The information and opinion doesn't change, whether or not you're a lolita. Unless you were just being pretentious. If it makes it any more creditable for you, I'm fairly knowledgeable on the style, it's brands, and variations, even if I don't partake in this end of the fashion community, myself.

QuoteMany Ouran host club cosplays I've seen were actually really tacky in themselves, although they tried to look like those in the anime. Adding luxurious touches to an outfit that's supposed to look like it's worth 3,000 dollars is an important effort in itself, no? Bell-shaped skirt, luxurious lace, modest cuts. That's REAL lolita. Not a "sexy" rendition of maid cosplay.

Well, those are just examples of "BAD COSPLAYING". You see it a lot more often, even outside of just Ouran cosplays. And adding details to make it portray what it was meant to be isn't "lolitifying", still. It's just your effort in making something work in real life up to your own preferences and standards, i.e. cosplaying. As for that, it isn't described as "REAL LOLITA!!" rather than just having some actual taste and trying to make the effort to make your cosplay as quality as possible. By referring to a quality version of their uniform as anything remotely close to "real lolita", though... yes, it may have lolita characteristics, but most people who consider themselves "lolita" wouldn't even compare it like that, as the uniform is nothing close to what is fashionable in the lolita community. It's a uniform. From what I remember, the uniform is SUPPOSED to have a bell-shaped skirt and modest cuts, save from the lace... which definitely wasn't canon. Anything otherwise is just another example of a crap-job of a cosplay.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

strawrose

I was wondering... does this discussion really matter? o_O It's cosplay. We do this for fun. Why does it induce throwing up when it's not done in a sloppy way? But you know... when we do uniforms in cosplay, it already looks strange to those who wear school uniforms in everyday life, despite "being done well."

*sigh* I should just lurk for another few months before I really consider next year's Fanime. Obviously, I'm not welcomed.

puyo_pop

I've really been into Lolita fashion for years and I do understand that it's fashion and not meant to be cosplay.  I really don't mind the lolified naruto characters actually.  A while back I would be offended about it and how people are butchering the fashion and stuff.  (I was pretty elitist, too, going on about "real" lolitas and what not) I would've been offended because people would look at that and go "Oh, so THAT's lolita", thinking that it was cosplay with too much lace when it isn't and fear the moment when someone looks at me in what would be considered the "appropriate lolita fashion" and place me at the same level as those cosplay lolitas.  But now I don't care.  People may look at me and compare me to those cosplay lolitas and get the wrong idea, but so what?  I don't expect everyone to be so knowledgeable about everything regarding lolita.  I dress lolita for myself, regardless if anyone cares or knows what it is.  I think it's fun, and I think those lolitafied characters and that gangster mario are fun, too.  I don't take them seriously.  I wouldn't doubt them if they made it tacky on purpose with the cheap lace and materials.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they even did it to make fun of lolitas.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: strawrose on July 26, 2008, 04:06:09 PM
I was wondering... does this discussion really matter? o_O It's cosplay. We do this for fun. Why does it induce throwing up when it's not done in a sloppy way? But you know... when we do uniforms in cosplay, it already looks strange to those who wear school uniforms in everyday life, despite "being done well."

Cosplay is for fun, but it doesn't mean others aren't allowed to have actual standards. If I choose to intentionally do something distasteful for fun, I'm not going to expect other people to lower their standards to automatically like it, just because I'm having fun. And even if you're wearing a uniform from an anime series, it's still cosplaying, and cosplay in general is a niche hobby that most normal people would find somewhat strange.

Quote*sigh* I should just lurk for another few months before I really consider next year's Fanime. Obviously, I'm not welcomed.

If you read my post clearly enough, you'd know that I had at least said you have some taste as to how you want to construct your cosplay. But if every other disagreeing detail is enough to set you off from not attending, well... I guess a heads up is warranted. Fanime is filled with thousands of people. Chances are, not every one of them is going to agree with your exact opinion. Hate you break it to you, but it applies to the rest of the world, as well.

FanimaidCafe.com

Kazuko

If you adore the fashion then of course you are supposed to care if people do it wrong, Consider me elitst or not but when someones giving pointers on the fashion sure even the more experienced people need to give pointers as well, I am interested in this fashion since about 2002 not that it cares but still I learn and re-read what the anatomy of lolita outfits are, also you are able to tell if people are doing it wrong. If they are doing it wrong GUIDE them

Jun is right the whole outfit thing, People have tastes and standards on how cosplay is done, there are people who do it very well they put months of time and effort studying the anatomy of the outfits and fabric choices, even breaking the bank for some cosplays (depending like Kosmos or something more elaborate), Then there are people who dont study the anatomy of the outfit and themselfs, put things together sometimes last minute and it looks half-assed, I love cosplay but if you cant do it right then GET IT COMISSIONED

To make an outfit look like 3000 dollars you pretty much have to spend that amount to make it look like that sure fine lace, good fabrics and have the BASIC shapes of lolita fashion. I could get AP or baby clothes for that much though :d just saying (if the 3000 is USD)

its like saying all lolitas have to be nice and never mean or whatever, its not true at all. thats changing who you are, you can be yourself and dress lolita because it is FASHION, the lifestyle is different its optional (read kamikaze girls, its a damn good example of it)

Having your head to toe covered in brand does not necissarly mean TRUE lolita. I know lolitas who make their own skirts and combine it with brand. You dont have to have all brand to be called lolita. Its how much effort and skill is put into it that means reserch, study your pattern and good materials (no synth fabrics, cheap lace or satin), pick the color coordinate and your sewing skills. (if they are not up to par

I have met lolitas in Japan most are pretty cool and sure they dont even wear all brand themselfs its mixed and matched with clothes they made. Thats what makes it unique

People get common misconceptions because of the origins of lolita have been warped arround, to debug a big myth Lolita fashion WAS NOT started by mana-sama, it started arround the 1970's I think 79 since thats when Angelic pretty first opened

but yeah thats my two cents, strawrose one post  shouldnt deture you from a con, seriously? just chin up and understand what jun is saying

BunofGovt

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on July 26, 2008, 05:11:51 PM

If you read my post clearly enough, you'd know that I had at least said you have some taste as to how you want to construct your cosplay. But if every other disagreeing detail is enough to set you off from not attending, well... I guess a heads up is warranted. Fanime is filled with thousands of people. Chances are, not every one of them is going to agree with your exact opinion. Hate you break it to you, but it applies to the rest of the world, as well.

I agree with Kazuko, don't let one post stop you from doing what you want.  Of course not everyone will agree with you, but there will still be plenty of people who do and would be glad to see you at Fanime.  I love the look of Lolita but unfortunately it's just not my own style (my job restricts what I can wear during the week and on weekends it's t-shirts and jeans  :D).  Years back I used to want to dress in what I referred to as the Oz style, based on the illustrations in the books by L Frank Baum.  The illustrator was John R Neill, beautiful flowing dresses and hair tresses that swirled up and around.  Sigh.  Part of the reason I cosplay is to try and capture feeling like that again. So live the way you will and see you at the next con.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.