Death Note live action remake USA?

Started by Barnes, June 05, 2008, 12:03:07 AM

Persephone

Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 05, 2008, 06:47:10 PM

Quote from: Dragon Ninja on May 30, 2008, 11:08:38 PM

Zac Efron would make the most perfect Light.  He already has a similar physical appearance that it's pretty scary. It would be SO EASY to hate him.

L would be a harder person to cast. 

Shadedpast

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: JohnnyAR on June 05, 2008, 04:18:14 PM
I just hope Hollywood doesn't fuck the plot up like previous movies based on anime, video games, and whatnot *cough*Dragonball*cough*

And Japan has a better track record? I'm curious though.. what did Hollywood screw up in terms of Anime? Speed Racer was done rather well. They didn't change the plot... and really, it was Speed Racer, only updated and for a newer generation.Dragon Ball isn't even out yet... people can criticize and say it'll suck, and frankly it probably will, but... tell me... where's Japan's superior version?

People need to stop sucking Japan's little balls.

Japan in my opinion does have a better track record on making live action. I mean it's true, some but not many Japanese live actions sucked. Here's looking at you Devilman. Devilman was outstandingly horrifying, as in it sucked soooo bad.
But there is one thing that you have too see, in Japan, their live actions stick to the story around 95% of the time (not including Deathnote, deathnote stuck to it like 70%)
Many live actions in Japan are successful not for their effects, but because fans and non fans can both enjoy a live action of their anime.
From Casshern, Prince of Tennis, Dororo, Honey and Clover,  Battle Royale, Kagemusha, Bayside Shakedown, and lots more.
These live actions stuck to their roots and didn't change much to ruin its storyline.

American live actions, tend to sell out to one type of audience, the new type of audiences, as in they never heard it or watched it before.
Now as I had said Japanese live actions can be enjoyed thoroughly by both types of audiences.
Yet it annoyed people when they watched Transformers, Speed Racer, and remakes such as well most of the horror movies in Japan, China, and Korea. Dragonball the live action, the plot itself just telling you one sentence ruined it. First of all, they appeal to the popular audiences. How? Through basically putting a high school theme in there. How does that sell out? Well because the fact that it would then appeal to the students in both middle school and high school to watch it, thinking that they would be something like that.
Hell they even took out some sub major characters in the movie, such as Krillin. They basically replaced everyone but the lead characters.

Now sorry for ranting like that. On to the Japanese live action of the DeathNote.
Yes, it has flaws, but those flaws were not as major as say, changing major characters.
True they still did change a few but of course, it seemed rushed for some reason.
The storyline, was I would say 70% close to the manga. Since it did not really clear up some questions. But the acting, the cast, the story it all fit, it didn't appeal to the popular audience, it appealed to all. Yes it was a crappy budget. But that's the challenge, to be able to make a movie out of close to nothing to become something close to perfect through acting.
DeathNote was never about cool flash effects, no it wasn't it was about  the human brain, how a human acts, what justice truly is.
So you can't really judge DeathNote because it's too crappy looking. Judge through the acting and the plot.

Now the American remake, why oh why would you remake a movie that just had come out. When I talk about barely coming out I mean, Movies that are not even 10 years old are not touched, not even for a remake.
DeathNote is still young. Seriously I still remember when Hollywood was more about Film, not Industry. Now their purely Industry and not wanting to risk releasing an original story and just want to make money by taking popular movies and revamping them to suit a much dumber audience with flashy effects and explosions.

I would petition to stop this remake, because it is unnecessary.

Shadedpast

Here's the thing, why the hell are they even trying to do this?

Only a writer, a producer, and a director, who have thoroughly watched and read both the anime, and the manga can truly understand the story. Coming from this Production company who released the worst horror remake of Shutter and The Eye, nothing good can be seen.

They might have just seen the anime from Cartoon Network or Adult Swim and thought, that's a great idea.
Now seeing if they did that, the anime and manga had completely different paces and story. The ending was very different for both, and I think the manga is more loyal than the anime.

Japanese animes that are being made into live action should be made by Japanese Film Productions. Why?
Because they know more about it and usually when a live action is made in Japan, the original mangaka or the person who thought of and made the story is consulted and his views are used not just heard.
American cartoons that are made into live action should be made by American Film Productions. Why?
Same reason as the Japanese one, because they have a better understanding of it since they grew up with it or because their resources of it are better.

You wouldn't want a Japanese Batman and change Gotham to Akihabara.
Since that is basically what the American Film Industry is doing these days.
Like the Akira live action.

Seriously, when I do become a scriptwriter/director, if the American film companies are still doing this and ruining the name of the anime and manga, I will do the same to popular icons and cartoons of America. But no not with Americans but with other races. Just to show how annoying it is.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Hollywood is not interested in appeasing the fans, its interested appeasing the general audience.
From a fans perspective, all of such will be bad, because its not true to the original.
Who cares?
If you want to see the same exact story, then go rewatch the anime or read the manga again.
Me, I get to see something from a new perspective.
I enjoyed Daredevil. I never read the comics, and while not the greatest movie, was decent and entertaining, and most people I know are the same.
I have not got to watch speed racer yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it also, no matter how far from the original series it is.
No, "I" wouldn't want to see a Japanese Batman in Akihabara, but the Japanese public might, and if the movie is being made for a Japanese audience, then why would any Americans (Who aren't Batman fanboys) Care?
And for the record, America is not the only side changing franchises for there pleasure. Japan has also. For instance, there is a Lilo and Stitch TV Series in Japan that takes place in Okinawa. The only reason we complain about Japanese stuff being Americanized is because most of us don't care about American things being Japanized.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

Lol, a Japanese Lilo and Stitch that takes place in Okinawa. I gotta see that.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 08, 2008, 05:20:50 PM
Quote from: JohnnyAR on September 08, 2008, 05:07:06 PM
Lol, a Japanese Lilo and Stitch that takes place in Okinawa. I gotta see that.
Just to save you the work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnZBdeR8N0&feature=related

Its like he went there for vacation. Lol, he ate hella Japanese food.

Shadedpast

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 08, 2008, 04:34:12 PM
Hollywood is not interested in appeasing the fans, its interested appeasing the general audience.
From a fans perspective, all of such will be bad, because its not true to the original.
Who cares?
If you want to see the same exact story, then go rewatch the anime or read the manga again.
Me, I get to see something from a new perspective.
I enjoyed Daredevil. I never read the comics, and while not the greatest movie, was decent and entertaining, and most people I know are the same.
I have not got to watch speed racer yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it also, no matter how far from the original series it is.
No, "I" wouldn't want to see a Japanese Batman in Akihabara, but the Japanese public might, and if the movie is being made for a Japanese audience, then why would any Americans (Who aren't Batman fanboys) Care?
And for the record, America is not the only side changing franchises for there pleasure. Japan has also. For instance, there is a Lilo and Stitch TV Series in Japan that takes place in Okinawa. The only reason we complain about Japanese stuff being Americanized is because most of us don't care about American things being Japanized.

I actually do care for things being Japanized as how you say it, since in a way, it feels like its in a balance. Since anime is shown here, they show American cartoons there.
But, the fact is, is that usually, when a famous idea is shown to the whole world, most countries, not just Japan, show the original to all the audiences whether it be fans or new audiences.
But Hollywood doesn't do that! That is my problem. Batman the Dark Knight was a very good live action, the story wasn't changed for the audience, it was meant for everyone.
Oh and by the way, the general audiences definition for every country changes yearly through what the perspective on what a viewer likes.
Through the past 2 years the general audiences in America are technically the viewers who enjoy flashy effects and explosions. You know like Michael Bay movies, they have no plot, no storyline but there is a lot of explosions.
So when you say General Audiences you are referring to those types.

Recently though, don't you think that Hollywood has been on a remake rampage of anything good in any countries these days?
Hell they're even remaking the Birds by Alfred Hitchcock.
I mean in China, Europe, France, Russia, Korea, Japan, South American nations, Canada, and other places that have different languages do not remake a movie to appease their general audiences. They just release the movie in its originality to the audiences. Titanic was released with it's full American cast to the whole world in English just with subtitles.
Many other popular movies were like that.
Why doesn't American Film Companies do that? I mean the only movie like that was Hero the chinese Wuxia film but that was about it.

And as you have said, Hollywood isn't trying to appease the fans, but wouldn't that cause trouble?
I mean sure, live actions can be altered, but not to a point where it can't be loyal to it's idea.
Live actions are meant to be the idea just in real life.
The way you said "If you want to see the same exact story, then go rewatch the anime or read the manga again. "
True, but remember they are using the franchise itself, meaning, it has the same story, may not be the exact same with a few tweaks but still could be the franchise.
Dragonball the live action, can't be loyal to the franchise anymore. Since it differs too greatly from its predecesor.

I mean I haven't heard of a popular American icon being used to make a live action in Japan or any other place in the world with the exception of Bollywood.
Oh and that Lilo and Stitch I see your point, but remember or try to find out exactly how many of these have Japan made, and compare it to the Anime's or shows that are being used in America.
And of course both sides have this agreement.

But the difference in live action is that, since the American production companies already have the rights to the anime to be broadcasted here in the U.S, they don't have to consult the japanese company to make a live action.

Meaning, both sides may not have an agreement on live action

Kazuko

FFFF battle Royale the live action was FAR from the book, I did an analysis between book and film only maybe like what 20 percent was stuck to the story.

The japanese have their version of films and we have our own dont like it? then go baww somewherelse

I still think the US adaptation of deathnote is going to be better, why? did you even look at the acting and the whole plot together? I could do that with 20  dollars worth and movie maker ffff the US has it better in the horror/suspense genre

Mizuki

I personally want a Zimbabwean version of Death Note to come out.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yes, all good points.
A reason (I Think) that most countries don't remake movies or such is simple. Most don't have a good movie industry, and none have anything close to Hollywood. In Hollywood, they spend 10s of millions on single movies, probably enough to franchise the entire movie industry for some country for a year easily. Also, in America, movies are very popular and wide spread, unlike japan. These counties resort to just subbing things is that they don't have the money, or in some cases, the talent, to remake these movies. Not all countries are such, like the english speaking world, who understand anything from Hollywood, most likely.

And by General audience, I point to the audience that is the largest at the moment. Remember, just because what the general audience changes, does not mean it effects movies that they used to like that are already out. Movies are usually made to appease the general audience and what they enjoy "at" the time the movie is released.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

JohnnyAR

I've been thinking that Hollywood is running out of ideas, Dark Knight was great n' all but its just a remake of the old batman movie series. Have you heard that there is a Facebook movie in the makes! Really, a Facebook movie?!

Shadedpast

Quote from: Kazuko on September 08, 2008, 09:14:09 PM
FFFF battle Royale the live action was FAR from the book, I did an analysis between book and film only maybe like what 20 percent was stuck to the story.

The japanese have their version of films and we have our own dont like it? then go baww somewherelse

I still think the US adaptation of deathnote is going to be better, why? did you even look at the acting and the whole plot together? I could do that with 20  dollars worth and movie maker ffff the US has it better in the horror/suspense genre

really?
The U.S has it better in horror/suspense genre?
None and I mean NONE of these new movies are nowhere near the horror/suspense movies that Hollywood back then. The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre scared the shit out of me! Ju-On basically left me awake at night. The Grudge made me laugh. The Eye (hollywood remake) made me hard, the Eye(the original) made me paranoid.
The new horror/suspense movies that Hollywood is releasing now has been nothing but pop out films, it doesn't give me the same good scare as it did back then when Psycho and The Birds gave me.
Now instead of making realistic horror films they make CGI type of horror flicks in my opinion kills the whole suspense genre.

And I agree with you, Battle Royale was off from its story, but it was still consulted with the mangaka or the creator.
Not American live action films. Except for the marvel films which I admire, since the maker actually makes sure that his ideas, his interpretations are in the films not the production company.

I did watch the Japanese live action. And as I had said before, it had flaws, but not enough that the movie was compeletely or close to being different.
True the plot has holes but at the most it was around 3 things that was not shown. They showed the major parts of the series and had everything. the plot and storyline wasn't vague, there was character development, and the acting was great compared to the monstrosity called Devilman live action. Their faces and their words matched with their emotion.
It's just that if you watch just enough American films now, not back then, the acting started becoming nothing compared to other types of movies in other countries. Since now Hollywood has bent on just making money with previous ideas and making them with more CGI.
I am currently studying Film History and Entertainment, and from my data collection on this and from many movies that I have seen, Hollywood has been going through this phase far too long, and in my opinion tainting the previous good movies that they seldom release.

Kazuko

Quote from: Shadedpast on September 08, 2008, 09:39:09 PM

really?
None and I mean NONE of these new movies are nowhere near the horror/suspense movies that Hollywood back then. The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre scared the shit out of me! Ju-On basically left me awake at night. The Grudge made me laugh. The Eye (hollywood remake) made me hard, the Eye(the original) made me paranoid.
The new horror/suspense movies that Hollywood is releasing now has been nothing but pop out films, it doesn't give me the same good scare as it did back then when Psycho and The Birds gave me.
Now instead of making realistic horror films they make CGI type of horror flicks in my opinion kills the whole suspense genre.

And I agree with you, Battle Royale was off from its story, but it was still consulted with the mangaka or the creator.
Not American live action films. Except for the marvel films which I admire, since the maker actually makes sure that his ideas, his interpretations are in the films not the production company.

I did watch the Japanese live action. And as I had said before, it had flaws, but not enough that the movie was compeletely or close to being different.
True the plot has holes but at the most it was around 3 things that was not shown. They showed the major parts of the series and had everything. the plot and storyline wasn't vague, there was character development, and the acting was great compared to the monstrosity called Devilman live action. Their faces and their words matched with their emotion.
It's just that if you watch just enough American films now, not back then, the acting started becoming nothing compared to other types of movies in other countries. Since now Hollywood has bent on just making money with previous ideas and making them with more CGI.
I am currently studying Film History and Entertainment, and from my data collection on this and from many movies that I have seen, Hollywood has been going through this phase far too long, and in my opinion tainting the previous good movies that they seldom release.
Well sir, More so the japanese horror films were a bit too funny, ringu made me laugh ju:on was okay in terms of suspense but most movies are a bit on the cheezy side. While the american remakes were at least trying to be more scarier than the original, Did you know for ring 2 (US remake) it was the japanese director who made that one. Directors do sometimes consult the original directors, writers ect. Its just not mentioned in the public eye unless you do some browsing on the internet to fufil that diehard fandom for the director.
FFFF memoirs of a geisha (yeah its not really a good example) but they consulted Liza Dalby and Aurthur golden. Liza Dalby was the woman who was studying geisha and actually was one for the sake of reserch. Hence why most of its pretty good in the terms of dances and poise. The author was there to make sure things run swimmingly

Of course you cant put ALL the originals context to the film, Think of the culture references that for example the japanese get but americans wont unless you studied it or whatever hence why its changed for american audiences.

Did you watch the strangers? Pretty scary stuff well most orignal works like that are a gem to find but hollywood wants to bring back old movies just for pure cult fans and whatnot.

Shadedpast

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 08, 2008, 09:27:30 PM
Yes, all good points.
A reason (I Think) that most countries don't remake movies or such is simple. Most don't have a good movie industry, and none have anything close to Hollywood. In Hollywood, they spend 10s of millions on single movies, probably enough to franchise the entire movie industry for some country for a year easily. Also, in America, movies are very popular and wide spread, unlike japan. These counties resort to just subbing things is that they don't have the money, or in some cases, the talent, to remake these movies. Not all countries are such, like the english speaking world, who understand anything from Hollywood, most likely.

And by General audience, I point to the audience that is the largest at the moment. Remember, just because what the general audience changes, does not mean it effects movies that they used to like that are already out. Movies are usually made to appease the general audience and what they enjoy "at" the time the movie is released.

Are you serious?! did you say that other countries do NOT have talent to make movies!?
I admit, back then Hollywood was great, BACK THEN, now its not a film industry its just an Industry!
Great Filmmakers such as Steven Speilberg has not even released a movie good enough to reclaim his name after the horrible job he did in Transformers. Many scriptwriters and directors are mostly famed in other countries. Mostly Europe and Asia.
Many movie critics, many producers, and even many directors look up to directors, writers, and producers in many other countries.
Kill Bill was made by a Japanese film production company, just used to adapt it into the U.S
Quentin Tarantino was basically influenced by many Korean films to make his movies!
In the whole world, Hollywood films have declined in it's rank for its sell out.
I mean, even Austria has world renowned writers.

I am currently studying in college on Film History and Entertainment, and many people, critics, directors, writers, still think that other countries have a better film industry than Hollywood.

The fact that Hollywood gives a bigger budget, doesn't necessarily mean the movie is gonna turn out great.
Cassablanca was a very poor budgeted movie, yet it was one of the greatest movie that Hollywood had released!
Because of directors and asshole writers like Michael Bay, the whole movie genre, has been a competition of who's movie is better through special effects.

Hollywood now has it's limits because they won't even try the risk.
There are a few good directors still left in the Hollywood Industry. Many refuse the making of remakes because as I quote from Justin Lin
"I don't want to disrespect the original film with a shoddy remake since it was already in its peek."
If you want a genuine movie that is past the expectations of Hollywood, and claimed from many directors all over the world, then watch OldBoy.
And the reason why many countries do not want to make a remake, quoting Takashi Miike "The movie in itself was great, if we try to remake it, we will need to change the cast, the story, the plot just so that it would fit with our standards. But what makes a great movie is its idea, not ours. Titanic was great because it fit with the American image, I don't want to remake a movie like that because the whole story and theme would change." Of course it was translated.

You see, other countries can remake movies, but they choose not to. And in my opinion that is good.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Psycho, The Birds, Rosemary's Child, Cassablanca, Robocop and other Hollywood classic cult movies, but now it's different. The movies now do not rely on storyline or plot, it relies on effects. That is the trend and I hope we get out of it soon.

Shadedpast

Quote from: Kazuko on September 08, 2008, 09:46:44 PM
Quote from: Shadedpast on September 08, 2008, 09:39:09 PM

really?

Well sir, More so the japanese horror films were a bit too funny, ringu made me laugh ju:on was okay in terms of suspense but most movies are a bit on the cheezy side. While the american remakes were at least trying to be more scarier than the original, Did you know for ring 2 (US remake) it was the japanese director who made that one. Directors do sometimes consult the original directors, writers ect. Its just not mentioned in the public eye unless you do some browsing on the internet to fufil that diehard fandom for the director.
FFFF memoirs of a geisha (yeah its not really a good example) but they consulted Liza Dalby and Aurthur golden. Liza Dalby was the woman who was studying geisha and actually was one for the sake of reserch. Hence why most of its pretty good in the terms of dances and poise. The author was there to make sure things run swimmingly

Of course you cant put ALL the originals context to the film, Think of the culture references that for example the japanese get but americans wont unless you studied it or whatever hence why its changed for american audiences.

Did you watch the strangers? Pretty scary stuff well most orignal works like that are a gem to find but hollywood wants to bring back old movies just for pure cult fans and whatnot.

About the culture and context on the film, it's not that American's don't know it, it's just that Americans are not taught it or shown it. In other countries it can release other movies because it has an idea of what it is, although it maybe vague it is enough to know what is going on. Just like the release of Titanic to the whole world.

I admit, The strangers is on the good side. But did you see the production values of The Strangers, it was close to poor budgeting but it was still great.
Oh and you say that Hollywood wants to bring back the old for cult fans?
Not so as much as you think.
For example, The Birds, the cult classic like Rosemary's child which I will refer to as well.
Many loved the Birds, and many don't want it to be remade because it is in their own way a part of them and because of many directors say that it was one of the greatest movie's out there, same with Rosemary's child.
yet, Michael Bay says "If we didn't take The Birds and Rosemary's child some other company will take it"
Bullshit, according to many producers, writers and directors, they never wanted to touch The birds or rosemary's child since it was a Cult classic film. They never wanted it in the first place.
And from the ongoing remakes from previous movies, they are half-assed and doesn't have the feeling like they tried their best or if they tried making the movie at all. With the exception of Independent Film Companies, independent film companies know how to make a movie more than Hollywood now.
Hollywood has been a rampage for one thing, for money. Why do you think no original ideas are out. because they won't risk it since it might not make any money. The reason why they are remaking movies is to attract the audience back then and to create a hype strong enough that the other audiences would watch it.
For example, Batman the Dark Knight (which I thought was pretty good for a remake)

Kazuko

the strangers was a good film none the less, but still americas a sly fox milking a franchise and creating new fans with remakes. Sure old fans of the classics may nerdrage over it but some give it a chance to see the classics in a new generation light. I mean for Repo! the genetic Opera Im giving it a chance despite my disgust for paris hilton. As for friday the 13th and childs play...well we shall see right? its all based on the critics and plus fans have too high of an expectation so of course there will be disapointment.

Americans love movies and most dont care as long as they get something worth their money like the dark knight for example or titanic. You seem like a cool person to talk to but im just going to leave this at that we all have opinions and whatever this movie comes to well thats for us to watch.

LOL the japanese dub of avatar is funny though!

JohnnyAR

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

nycmimo

NYC :: Model :: Mimo
Who should I cosplay?