Death Note live action remake USA?

Started by Barnes, June 05, 2008, 12:03:07 AM

PyronIkari

Quote from: nycmimo on September 15, 2008, 08:38:44 PM
Screw the celebrities.
I'll be L.

image here

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Yeah, that'd go great. HAY GUYS, LET'S HIRE THIS PERSON WHO SUCKS TO BE L!

Great IDEA!

fffffffffffffff

Geez.

I'll just copypa the post I made on another forum concerning this.

In terms of other JP movies and productions in JP -> US remakes, and other JP originals. JP movies have poor production quality, and low budgets. Most JP actors are not very good. In terms of remakes. Let's take Ju-on since that's rather well known. The JP production was obviously way lower budget, effect were poorly done compared to the US counter-part, and the acting was horrible in a lot of different places. The big complaint that most people have that is legitimate...

Is that things were changed. Granted, this is going to happen in ANY adaptation/localization. Hell, compare 'manga' -> 'anime' changes. There's always drastic changes in all of them. The issue is that, most people (at least in US communities) do not read the comics prior to seeing the anime. So they watch the anime, and love it. But then those that have read the comic see the anime, and they hate it, because "it's different".

I refer to Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. There is an entire episode of the anime dedicated to this ideal. The adaptation from comic to cartoon.

Let's say, Juon was written EXACTLY the same for the US version. The dialogue was almost exactly the same, the environment was exactly the same, the pacing, everything. Would people have liked it?

If you say yes, why would they? They saw the original, why would they watch the exact same thing with a different cast? They already saw it. Now this does two things.

All of the people that have seen the original will complain about how they've already seen it, and they will call the remake "a bad copy of the original". Why watch the remake when the original exists and is exactly how the "original/story" should be. Newer watchers will be turned off from it, because of localization issues. They will miss out on a lot due to international idioms and environments. Without the changes, the mass audience will not enjoy it because they won't be able to relate to something that is centralized in a culture they do not understand, or even know much about at all.

Now, with the changes, we have a different set of complaints. "It's not like the original". If you want the original, you should watch the original.

You can't make everyone happy. It's impossible, no matter what is done, complaints will be made. Now the most important of this. This is a business. Companies are trying to make money, so they will make the appropriate changes to gather the largest audience. This has nothing to do with quality. Quality is secondary.

Saying that, look at JP LA stuff. I mean, really really look at it. Now imagine, if an American production put something out of that quality. It would be trashed to no end as being low budget, and horribly directed/written. But Asian film enthusiasts ignore it because "It's Asian".

I've been watching Asian film since I was a child, as my family grew up with Asian cinema. Just as an example... I was watching Jet Li films since the mid-80's. I watched a documentary about the Shaolin temples with him as the subject in 91. JP cinema was introduced to me when I was in kindergarten by my best friend, and I'd watch movies/tv shows/and even variety shows at his house almost every day for 5 years until he moved. Growing up with all of this, in addition to US movies, the whole "it being Asian" had no affect on me. I've seen movies as movies. TV shows as TV shows, and quality as quality. Most people can't do this. They recently got introduced, or picked it up as a hobby in their teens. So it's got a different value to them. They can't look at it for face value and pile up so much emotional value, or "exotic" value into it, that they lose sight of what they're watching (not that I'm accusing anyone here specifically, and just stating in general).

People need to learn to separate judgment. When evaluating something, separate your opinion with quality. You can add your opinion in, but when telling others, don't let your opinion overlap that of the actual quality.

nycmimo

Quote from: PyronIkari on September 15, 2008, 09:33:53 PM

You obviously have no sense of humor. Need a tampon?

Though your insight on the remake was appreciated.

I'm just glad Death Note has made such an impact worldwide. We can only wait and see... and hope that they handle the marketing the right way.
NYC :: Model :: Mimo
Who should I cosplay?

PyronIkari

Quote from: nycmimo on September 18, 2008, 07:32:40 PM
You obviously have no sense of humor. Need a tampon?

Though your insight on the remake was appreciated.

I'm just glad Death Note has made such an impact worldwide. We can only wait and see... and hope that they handle the marketing the right way.

The irony is hilarious.

I find it funny that you think it's funny, that posting a horrible cosplay of L, done by you, and stating what you did... is funny.

Obviously, it's you that needs the tampon for being offended that I said your cosplay was horrible.

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

nycmimo

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 18, 2008, 10:38:15 PM
Or you all can have Tampons!

LOL yes! Tampons for all!

PyronIkari, it's not even that serious. You need a chill pill. I'd hate to meet people like you at cons, totally ruin the FUN of the atmosphere with your serious brooding, hostile character and hate-bullshit.  ::)

But to each his own. I like to be rather friendly with everyone than try to walk around with my feathers puffed out.

By the way, I take no offense - the fact that I don't look like a poor child molester with poor posture and too much candy is a good thing. MOST cosplayers do NOT look like the character they are cosplaying - we aren't cartoons. That's not the point though is it? It's about HAVING FUN, and I think that's what MOST of us APPRECIATE about each other and about socializing at cons... without the nit-picking brooders like you who want to bring everyone down to their miserable level.

My daughter certainly doesn't look like L and yet everyone gets a blast when I throw my L wig on her. I bet you'd be the only one to bitch and say "WTF that L sucks!" I hope you don't terrorize the children who go to cons and try to ruin their fun too.

So much for separating opinion from quality, huh? A bit hypocritical aren't we?
Who should I cosplay?

Kazuko

Haha he does have a point, I have seen better L cosplays too, its your face porportion thats off with the hair small face with big spikey hair its a bit weird to me

pffft I met Pyron and hes the coolest mofo ever met :U its you who needs the chill pill if your going to get high strung  about it. People need to take the comments critiques because thats how we change and become better.

JohnnyAR

I'm kinda curious what actors will be in the movie. What if George Clooney was in it?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JohnnyAR on September 19, 2008, 05:18:17 PM
I'm kinda curious what actors will be in the movie. What if George Clooney was in it?
Not me. To be honest, I don't really know the names of any actors, and don't care for them much either.

Quote from: Kazuko on September 19, 2008, 04:32:09 PM
Haha he does have a point, I have seen better L cosplays too, its your face porportion thats off with the hair small face with big spikey hair its a bit weird to me

Same.
I cosplayed as "L" last Halloween. I wiped up a costume a day before, went to school, and had a blast with friends... And freaking out others...
It wasn't great, and your was probably better, but no one cared that it was. Remember, it shouldn't be about looking like a character, even though thats what it is, its about having fun.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

nycmimo

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 19, 2008, 05:25:24 PM
Remember, it shouldn't be about looking like a character, even though thats what it is, its about having fun.

My point exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees all this as fun.

@Kazuko - he doesn't have a point, there was no feedback. There's quite a difference between constructive criticism and bash critcism. He was simply rude and if there's such a thing as "tone" on the internet, his tone was disgustingly sarcastic and uncalled for. Your critique on the other hand, is actually useful... and something I could use to make it better the next time around (like trimming the hair). "You suck" doesn't quite help.

High strung? No where near that. I'm simply commenting/having a discussion... as is appropriate to the forums. I'm perhaps the most laid back person around, but I don't tolerate rudeness. Though I didn't mean for it to become a whole back and forth discussion over one comment, he commented, I commented back... that's all?

I welcome constructive criticism all the time, for anything that I do. Though perhaps this isn't the thread to do that. That's what my deviant art is for.

http://pblack86.deviantart.com/

Critique away. :) I'd love to hear feedback!
Who should I cosplay?

shy-cosplayer

I think that this will turn out very interesting to see, considering that the entire setting is in Japan. i mean, L locates Kira in the Kanto region of Japan, so the only difference should be different acting, or following the anime or manga plot line. It'd be pretty awkward if the director or whoever decides to mess around and change it.