Wisdom Teeth

Started by BrightHeart76, June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Emerge on June 09, 2008, 07:18:39 PM
man, i don't feel too reassured by any of these stories...especially considering my wisdom tooth surgery is some time in the next few weeks.

I feel like my silly rant about my stupid dental issues is making people scared of their dentist!  Completely not my goal...I was just being annoying and ranting because I felt bad and there was no on here for me to whine at. I really appreciate the kind and helpful things people have said on the boards, it really means a lot.

Seriously, it's not that bad.  The horror stories are much worse than the real thing.  You'll do just fine so long as you follow the directions your dentist gives you.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

zoupzuop2

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM
I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed about two hours ago.  My whole head hurts and I can't feel most of my mouth.  I really hate my dentist right about now.  And I know it'll be worse once the numbing wears off.

Any advice or words of encouragement?  I just feel really lousy right now.   :'(
Don't do what I did (start playing Gaia). XD

All joking aside, just sit back and take things eeeeasy. You'll do just fine... and, actually, stay off the drugs they give you. They'll dull the pain but make you Dee-row-sy.
As in, drowsier than this:
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

JTchinoy

Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on June 08, 2008, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: JTchinoy on June 08, 2008, 03:41:23 AM

according to my x-rays from roughly 1 year ago, it's a rootless wisdom tooth.  i don't know how fast roots grow but as of july last year, it was just a tooth. 

If I recall correctly from school (don't have to go to school for what I do out in Utah...did anyways), thats known as the "bell stage" you can look up the process/stages of tooth development online easily. Yes wisdom teeth in that stage normally are not extracted, but what is lovely and easy on the pt is when they have "ice cream con roots" the roots haven't or don't branch out and stay close to each other and in the shape of a cone.
so the only kind of root it'll get is the cone shaped one? the xray literally showed just a cap. if it's just a cone shape, shouldn't be bad  :D they had my bro take pills the night before, so he was half drugged by the time he got there.  he said he saw blood like everywhere in his moments of consciousness but he was so gone he didnt care XD

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

BrightHeart76

Finally got in to see my dentist today.  I have a mild infection and possible very mild dry socket on my right side and severe trama to the jaw joints on both sides.  She compares the jaw joints to hyper extending both of your knees at one time.  I told her it felt like I had been punched in the face...she told me, "Honey, that's exactly what happened."

Dentist says I probably wouldn't have had any complications if I hadn't had all 4 teeth removed at once.  She says I pushed to do all 4, I remember her saying "lets do all 4 at one time and get it done with"...so who knows.  Lesson learned, if you can do your extractions 2 at a time, do it that way.

I'm off work today.  Have to stay on ibuprofen and antibiotics for a week...then all should be good again.   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 09, 2008, 11:04:24 PM
Quote from: Squeeky_Moonkin on June 08, 2008, 12:06:55 PM
Quote from: JTchinoy on June 08, 2008, 03:41:23 AM

]so the only kind of root it'll get is the cone shaped one? the xray literally showed just a cap. if it's just a cone shape, shouldn't be bad  :D they had my bro take pills the night before, so he was half drugged by the time he got there.  he said he saw blood like everywhere in his moments of consciousness but he was so gone he didnt care XD

Cone shaped is the shape the roots have if they don't reach a certain development stage....some are able to fully develop and the roots branch ut like any other molar.

Squeeky_Moonkin

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 10, 2008, 02:06:47 PM
Finally got in to see my dentist today.  I have a mild infection and possible very mild dry socket on my right side and severe trama to the jaw joints on both sides.  She compares the jaw joints to hyper extending both of your knees at one time.  I told her it felt like I had been punched in the face...she told me, "Honey, that's exactly what happened."

Dentist says I probably wouldn't have had any complications if I hadn't had all 4 teeth removed at once.  She says I pushed to do all 4, I remember her saying "lets do all 4 at one time and get it done with"...so who knows.  Lesson learned, if you can do your extractions 2 at a time, do it that way.

I'm off work today.  Have to stay on ibuprofen and antibiotics for a week...then all should be good again.   :D

having all four done at once has its up and downs. I personally had mine done 2 at a time @_@. Looking back at it I would of preferred t have all 4 done..but the guy I went t wouldn't d all four unless I was in a hospital @_@ (Mine had to be chizzled out since they were unerupted...and old methods.). ya, don't understand that ...and that was like 8 years ago.

The mild dry socket would explain a good chunk of your pain. Infection...well of course ...thats why the doc should start you on antibiotics right after the procedure...to prevent that. Because you yourself have no way of keeping bacteria out of the extraction sites when you cant brush r swish back there @_@ DUH! on her part.

Emerge

Quote from: zoupzuop2 on June 09, 2008, 10:41:21 PM
You'll do just fine... and, actually, stay off the drugs they give you.

at the risk of sounding like a druggie, i'd much rather they knock me out with that stuff and perform the surgery rather than me being conscious through the whole thing. i've had teeth-yanking surgery when i was a kid, and just hearing them things being torn from my gums was enough to hop off the chair and catch the next bus home. and besides...it's a sensation that's matched by nothing else, these medical-grade concoctions

Yuu

Quote from: Emerge on June 10, 2008, 10:34:33 PM
Quote from: zoupzuop2 on June 09, 2008, 10:41:21 PM
You'll do just fine... and, actually, stay off the drugs they give you.

at the risk of sounding like a druggie, i'd much rather they knock me out with that stuff and perform the surgery rather than me being conscious through the whole thing. i've had teeth-yanking surgery when i was a kid, and just hearing them things being torn from my gums was enough to hop off the chair and catch the next bus home. and besides...it's a sensation that's matched by nothing else, these medical-grade concoctions

Ugh not me. I'd much rather deal with the pain than be so incapacitated and at the mercy of someone else.
I have to have control in those situation.
In fact the FIRST thing I do when I go to thehospital for anything is make sure the nurses know who is in charge.