Wisdom Teeth

Started by BrightHeart76, June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

BrightHeart76

I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed about two hours ago.  My whole head hurts and I can't feel most of my mouth.  I really hate my dentist right about now.  And I know it'll be worse once the numbing wears off.

Any advice or words of encouragement?  I just feel really lousy right now.   :'(
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

DemonLordZabuza

I've had a total of 6 teeth removed from my mouth.  Two of them where wisdom teeth.  I say just try to rest, I slept after my wisdom teeth were pulled.  But also I felt no pain during the following days.  So just relax and if you eat, have soft foods.  If you start bleeding or swealing, rinse your mouth with salt water.  Or so mother tells me to do

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

XpHoBiaX

I did not have a good experience when I got impacted wisdom teeth pulled. All I can say is just try to find a happy place.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Rei-Rei

Well, I got my wisdom teeth removed early, when I was about 12 because they were too big, plus the dentist figured it would never grow out because it was on its side....
What I recommend doing is sleeping, a lot to kill time...
Eating soft foods... I survived because of soup.
And there's also the use of cold/hot packs.

Kazuko

Ice creaam, and Lots of it

along with the occasional painkiller here and there and sleep
I had all 4 teeth pulled out at once too, It was painfull but my sister has it worse. She has to get surgery to get hers pulled out which really sucks

Rei-Rei

Quote from: Kazuko on June 05, 2008, 11:34:43 AM

along with the occasional painkiller here and there and sleep
I had all 4 teeth pulled out at once too, It was painfull but my sister has it worse. She has to get surgery to get hers pulled out which really sucks
Same with my cousin... The wisdom teeth grew out in such weird ways that she had to get surgery to pull out 3....
She looked like a balloon afterwards. =\

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM
I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed about two hours ago.  My whole head hurts and I can't feel most of my mouth.  I really hate my dentist right about now.  And I know it'll be worse once the numbing wears off.

Any advice or words of encouragement?  I just feel really lousy right now.   :'(
MAN!! I had that done like 3 years ago before I got my braces and I feel like shit at the time.  Just mouth wash alot and I had to take pain reliever for my mouths.  Plus I had to use that surange to wash off the food off where the wisdom tooth used of been!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Kandybar

Yeah, make sure you keep the site clean for a couple of days until the holes heal up.  Did they put stitches in?  Just rinse out the holes after you eat anything.

But other than that, take it easy, take lots of naps, read a book, and soft foods/liquids are your friends.

rude32

Ice cream, and lots of it. Also whatever you do, DO NOT USE A STRAW OR SUCK ON ANYTHING, doing so will rip the stitches out and then you'll have to go in and get them again. I think I'm the only person in the history of dentistry who enjoyed this experience. I went there, they gave me some nitrous oxide, and I was out for what felt like 5 minutes. I awoke, and they told me it had been about 30 minutes, and I had all 4 pulled. They gave me some kick ass pain killers, the 4 teeth they pulled out and sent me on my way.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

XpHoBiaX

I was fully conscious when they did surgeory on my wisdom teeth to get them out.
I'm not gonna say anymore. I strongly dislike dentists.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

rude32

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on June 05, 2008, 01:40:09 PM
I was fully conscious when they did surgeory on my wisdom teeth to get them out.
I'm not gonna say anymore. I strongly dislike dentists.
Was it a dentist who pulled them, or did you go to an oral surgeon?
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

questionette

Read trash magazines.

Reading about plastic surgery tragedies makes you feel better about having holes in your mouth :D

Thaaat, and the BIGGEST MOST FLUFFIEST blanket + pillow combo you can find.  Something about being comfortable everywhere else makes it a little better.

Hope you get well soon!~ I know how dental surgery can SUCK. A lot.

BrightHeart76

Nasty Details to follow, read at your own risk.

My dentist figured it was fine to take out all 4 at once because my x-rays looked fine.  The X-rays were wrong.  Two of my teeth that she thought were simply impacted were actually growing sideways and out toward my cheeks.  This was complicated by the fact that my teeth are weird and grow very smooth, the dentist kept complaining that there were no ridges to grab with her tools.  I guess this made it more complicated for her.  THEN three out of four teeth had roots that resemble hooks and were dug in deep in my jaw...while pulling one out she took a signigicant amount of bone from my jaw with her.  The last tooth had to be drilled in half for her to remove it and even then the Hygenist had to hold my jaw in place while the dentist grabbed my tooth with her tool of dental doom, put her knee on the chair beside me and PULLED.  I was too numb to feel it, but the sounds were frightening.  Yeah, I was awake for all of it...just some Novocane (sp?)

By the time my dentist was done my tongue and the roof of my mouth were so swollen I could hardly breath thru my mouth.  My dentist promised me pain meds "just incase" but the hygenist and receptionist decided that I would have to call if I want meds.  The swelling has gone down.  I can feel most of my mouth again.  I just have a MASSIVE headache and a lot of aches and pains.  I can't seem to sleep yet, but I'm trying.  I just ordered Andromeda on On Demand, hopefully that will knock me out.

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone.  I appreciate it.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Shinsengumi

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 05, 2008, 11:06:33 AM

I know how that's feels. I remember I had to remove mine back in early 2001 my whole month was so sore from it. It took me about 2 weeks to heal.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Barnes

I envy you because you're strong enough to type on a computer after the fact.
When I had mine removed, I could barely move off the bed, let alone sit through a movie.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Kazuko on June 05, 2008, 11:34:43 AM

Shove a whole bucket of Ice Cream in your mouth! It'll work ^^

SOawesomeness

D: Sounds horrible...
I hope you feel better soon. (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Lactose

the only thing i could eat was sorbet.
it gets rid of the nasty bloody taste in your mouth, and its the only thing i could really swallow.
also, apple juice. and apple sauce.
you wont be eating much for about a week, just sleep and lay low. its really not SO bad. =)
Lactose = Liz

Jerry

I wish ya a quick road to recovery!

Of course everyone has different experiences with this but here's my 2 cents.

Along with everyone else's good advice:
Warm Salt Water
Healthy-ish (Soft) Foods
Plenty of Rest
Meds & Penecillin (for pain and stuff)
Becareful if you have stitches.

and of course I know things are a bit rough, but try your best to stay in a good mood :)

It usually helps the healing process-
I'd make ya laugh, but your mouth already hurts
(whoops that reads kinda funny, but hopefully you know what i meant)
:D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

JohnnyAR

Try not to think about the pain, occupy yourself with something. Thats what I did when I had three needle shots in my toe and they were big needles too.