Spirited Away

Started by DayDreamerNessa, August 11, 2003, 09:48:16 PM

DayDreamerNessa

I have been wanting to see this movie for the longest time, but i heard from someone that theres a lotta metaphors and can confuse you if you haven't read an overview of the story, i was wondering is it true?? I really like Miyazaki's works so i TRY to understand what is happening in the movies lol...but ne ways my friends will hopefully rent it and we will see it together this weekend be4 we get back to school!
++ Visit my cosplay website below ++
++ http://www.eternaldaydream.com ++

SpazMegami

I would say that's not true.  You can enjoy it without analyzing what the characters mean in depth.  If you want to look into the story's many hidden points, I would do that after watching it for the first time. *giggles* I still don't do that yet and I've seen it over 10 times! *huggles DVD*  There are some times which can be confusing because of the culture clash, but you can move on pass them pretty quickly.
Current # of bishies in my harem: 562...I've been a busy little spaz monkey! ^_^

Jessa_chan

*shrugs* The second Haku came on the screen, it screwed any hope of me looking deep into the plot. I spent the rest of the movie like this:
"Dhuuur...pretty Haku..... :shock: "
You want a sweet little bishie, watch the movie. The plot is nice too XP
I love Jack Sparrow. I am his fangirl. I am also obsessed with pirates. Savvy?

Tuplica

Quote from: "Jessa_chan"*shrugs* The second Haku came on the screen, it screwed any hope of me looking deep into the plot. I spent the rest of the movie like this:
"Dhuuur...pretty Haku..... :shock: "
You want a sweet little bishie, watch the movie. The plot is nice too XP

Rofl, yeah, I had the same problem, essentially.  I was like... "Eh, who cares about this little girl, WHERE'S HAKU!"....  The ending of the movie bugged me.  :P  Actually, bugged my whole family.  Oh well, kinda like the ending of Mononoke that way... not necessarily a perfect 'the world is wonderful!' ending.
Attending Fanime since 2002, having panic attacks and editing marathons since 2003.

MeliCat

I thought Spirited Away was a great movie! But I'm familiar with the culture, so I didn't have a clash. Even if Ididn't know, I think it's still a great movie. *hugs Haku* He's adorable! I wanna see someone cosplay  as him!

*MeliCat*

YuriGurrl

Didn't you guys see the cello and violin players outside the dealer's room? They were dressed as Chihiro and Haku~ they were damn good musicians to! They were both girls tho, so I guess I can understand wanting a guy to cosplay Haku...
Yah, I'm a little over-the-top, but isn't it fun?

DayDreamerNessa

yeah i didn't like the ending much, but i still loved the movie very much ^-^
I wanna a plushie of the mouse now!!!

I wished i could've stayed and watched the two girls perform*i forgot what they're name was ^.~* but my friend was dragging me everywhere so i couldn't stay >_<

SuperKawaiiNeko

Ramen and Rice. They play near the dealers room every year to help pay their way to Anime Expo. Ive been thinking of bringing my sax for the last couple years and making some cash between their sets, but I can never find time to practice (or find sheet music for sax for anime/vg tunes.)

I loved the ending to Spirited Away ^.^ Ive seen four of his movies and all the endings are good, if a bit inconclusive. What happened to Kiki? Why does she fly around on that pushbroom instead of getting a cooler one? And whats up with San and Ashitaka? Did they hook up or did he marry one of the iron town girls or what? And did Chihiro ever try to find her way back to the spirit world? She must have noticed the hair tie. Grave of the Fireflies was the most conclusive, but DAMNED if it wasent the saddest...

Anyway, Ive got the first volume of the Nausicaa manga. Gotta get the rest and then finish it off. ^.^ After that will probably be Laputa.

Oh! And Totoro! That makes five. But I dont remember much about what happens at the end of that, so no comment.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

kei

I have question for spirited away dvd.
Can I play it with japanese voice and english subtitled?
I know there is japanese voice option but i cannot see anything about english subtitle..

Daisho

Must be.  Otherwise I'd have been a bit lost having first seen it on DVD.  Yep right there under the setup feature I see audio and captions and subtitles.
Small minds are often the same

Leishu

Did somebody say Bishie?

Oh yeah.

Spirited Away was darn good, but Nausicaa is still by far my favorite Ghibli film.

The ghibli-written/animated, or written/animated by key Ghibli memers films are as follows:

My Neighbor Totoro
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Castle in the Sky: Laputa
Whispers of the Heart
The Cat Returns
Pom Poko
Only Yesterday
Grave of the Fireflies

Coming up....

Howl's Moving Castle
and...

(This one'll really get ya'!)

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

It surprised me, but from the preview that I watched last month, it looks #^&&@^ phenominal.
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

SuperKawaiiNeko

I STILL have the newspaper from when Spirited Away came out. The article talks about how awesome it is, and how disney only wishes they could make movies that good in any respect XD
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

DayDreamerNessa

I remembered reading an article too about Spirited Away, it was interesting to read too, but in my house that probably had gotten thrown away  :roll: