Anyone play Dungeons And Dragons?

Started by Mordyan, June 10, 2008, 05:31:05 PM

mDuo13

Haven't played any form of D&D in about 3 years. Last time was a short adventure I ran (3 sessions) involving a murder mystery/fugitive scenario, using very slimmed-down 3rd edition rules. I thought it turned out pretty well and so did my players (to my knowledge) but I kind of hit a wall in my preparations for the sequel adventure so that never happened.

One of my friends whom I introduced to D&D has a regular play group at his school, though. I think they went to the 4th Edition release party - I still haven't seen what the 4E books look like. 2nd Edition is where all my good memories are. I played a lot on OpenRPG especially.

~~Loktera~~

YOu know, I keep hearing good things about 4'th.. I'm starting to think I might just have to go buy myself a players handbook.
It all really depends how well the lies are told...

G.I.R

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 10, 2008, 09:09:55 PM

Just so you know, you cant WIN D&D, its not that kind of game.

If you can't win, can you loose the game?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Ssssss, whats a tough one.

I would like to say that a individual can lose on his own, if your character dies only though.

Same goes for a group, you don't lose unless you die.

But even then, death isnt really losing the game, as it is possible that the campaign can countue into and past a characters death. Perhaps the game would take place in the underworld (or the equivalent), or perhaps someone Resurrects the party/character to take on a task.

I would say that it depends on the DM, and how he deals with death.

So...
Q:Losing D&D?
A:Situational.

By the way, I lost the game. I hate "that" game...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 15, 2008, 01:15:58 AM

Indeed, old meme is old.

Getting back on topic, I've been through the new PHB and just picked up the DMG and MM last night.  So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing and right now, I'm mulling over some character concepts to use to put character generation through its paces.  It's a lot easier to get into than 3.x has been.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

mDuo13

Quote from: Stormfalcon on June 15, 2008, 10:19:19 AM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on June 15, 2008, 01:15:58 AM

Indeed, old meme is old.

Make old meme new again by inventing house rules and not telling other people what they are.

(Hey, it occurred to me, house rules is totally a convention I learned best from D&D... go figure.)

neko ewen

Well, if you look at the history of D&D, the original version of the rules was very vague, and people pretty much had to houserule and generally make stuff up. That also meant that the ways people played would vary radially from area to area and group to group. The stereotype is that in D&D you kill things and take their stuff, but some people were actually trying to avoid combat unless it directly furthered their main objective (getting a certain treasure or some such).

With the release of AD&D, Gary Gygax wrote a big long rant in Dragon magazine saying how if you houserule, you're not playing "real" AD&D, but needless to say there's been a tendency towards tinkering that hasn't gone away. These days game designers tend to be of the opinion that a game shouldn't need house rules out of the box to work (which is a no-brainer, really), though that doesn't mean you can't change things if you want.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

TC X0 Lt 0X

Rule 0: The DM is always right.

That means that if the DM says that your Greataxe auto-hits and does 1d1000 damage in a 50 mile radius, it happened regardless of what any D&D book says. Thats a House-ruling, mind you a retarded one, but none the less it is. That THAT is the beauty of D&D.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mordyan

Quote from: Lactose on June 10, 2008, 08:48:21 PM
i used to. i dont know what edition or anything, we only played for a couple of months and then went back to cyberpunk.

I just now realized you mentioned one of my all time favorite roleplaying games Cyberpunk!!!! God I was addicted to that game I pretty much own every book R. Talsorian published for it. The group I played with broke up years ago and I haven't found time to start up a new one.

Mordyan

Well the new edition continues to please me, so I now pose this question. Anyone interested in a pick up game?

This wouldn't be a regular event because I live too far north from San Jose for it to be all that often, but I would be willing to get together on a weekend and throw some dice. I am willing to run the game and teach anyone the new rules now that I am comfortable with them.

I can manage a fairly large group if there is enough interest, but 5-6 would be the best. So first let me know who if anyone is interested and then we can figure out the rest of the details.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Mordyan on June 24, 2008, 11:30:13 PM
Well the new edition continues to please me, so I now pose this question. Anyone interested in a pick up game?

This wouldn't be a regular event because I live too far north from San Jose for it to be all that often, but I would be willing to get together on a weekend and throw some dice. I am willing to run the game and teach anyone the new rules now that I am comfortable with them.

I can manage a fairly large group if there is enough interest, but 5-6 would be the best. So first let me know who if anyone is interested and then we can figure out the rest of the details.

I have a idea that would allow the distance between us meaningless.

We can play at DnDOG (DnD Online Games) [Linky]

That way, the people who do want to play do not have to waste precious gas money, or traveling time, and there is no meeting date that may lead to conflicting with someones plans.

Its a Win-Win.

My account on the site is the same here, TC X0 Lt 0X (BTW, Those are zeros =3).

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.