How much Japanese do you know?

Started by OniCourseMusha, June 13, 2008, 01:52:38 AM

Kazuko

very little, about a year of high schools worth, I can understand shows like Chibi Maruko Chan, Doraemon and ofcourse totoro :d though I did watch those while I was in Japan.

LastElixir

I'm fluent, people are always surprised when I tell them that I'm American whenever I'm over there. But my writing sucks.... it stopped at like a 4th grade level. I guess I know enough where I can type a decent essay and read the newspaper. I won't lie, I do prefer speaking/hearing Japanese over English a lot of the times.

j

Tsubasa

I won't make any kind of grandiose claims about my JP comprehension.  All I know is that I can play fully-voiced galge and listen to drama CDs and understand most of it.  Reading's a bit lacking.  I often find myself hitting the kanji wall head first.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: LastElixir on June 15, 2008, 04:08:37 PM
I'm fluent, people are always surprised when I tell them that I'm American whenever I'm over there. But my writing sucks.... it stopped at like a 4th grade level. I guess I know enough where I can type a decent essay and read the newspaper. I won't lie, I do prefer speaking/hearing Japanese over English a lot of the times.

j
Wanna practice wit me when we meet?
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Rhornez

1%.... i know baka ahoo lets see hai ohio gozaimas konichiwa arigato gozaimasu mizu just about it .......
HIRING JAPANESE TEACHER RAWRERERSAWR

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Rhornez on June 15, 2008, 08:32:41 PM
1%.... i know baka ahoo lets see hai ohayo gozaimasu konichiwa arigato gozaimasu mizu just about it .......
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

rubymoonIII

ive taken japanese classes for about 4 years but im not very good, i can swear in Japanese be rude, but speaking it is still very hard for me im slowly starting to forget my Japanese since i have no one to speak it with or correct my pronunciation
so sad :(
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

Rhornez

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 15, 2008, 09:09:05 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on June 15, 2008, 08:32:41 PM
1%.... i know baka ahoo lets see hai ohayo gozaimasu konichiwa arigato gozaimasu mizu just about it .......
thank you sama

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

PyronIkari

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 13, 2008, 01:52:38 AM
I'm curious about how good is your Japanese in general since I only met very few real Japanese attendees spoke Japanese towards me during Fanime and we had a decant conversation.  I'm raised in a Japanese family that I do good enough to have a conversation but still need work on more Kanji and more hard vocabulary.  And I need practice speaking more wit actual fluent people!
Quote from: rubymoonIII on June 15, 2008, 09:58:26 PM
ive taken japanese classes for about 4 years but im not very good, i can swear in Japanese be rude, but speaking it is still very hard for me im slowly starting to forget my Japanese since i have no one to speak it with or correct my pronunciation

Someone is lying here, or the two of you are complete idiots.

Here I'll spell it out for you just in case it's the latter.

Your boyfriend is stating he is fluent in Japanese. You are stating that you have no one to speak it with nor to correct your pronunciation. What the hell.

rubymoonIII

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 15, 2008, 10:51:51 PM
Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 13, 2008, 01:52:38 AM
I'm curious about how good is your Japanese in general since I only met very few real Japanese attendees spoke Japanese towards me during Fanime and we had a decant conversation.  I'm raised in a Japanese family that I do good enough to have a conversation but still need work on more Kanji and more hard vocabulary.  And I need practice speaking more wit actual fluent people!
Quote from: rubymoonIII on June 15, 2008, 09:58:26 PM

Your boyfriend is stating he is fluent in Japanese. You are stating that you have no one to speak it with nor to correct your pronunciation. What the hell.

so what  if he's Japanese that doesn't automatically obligate him to speak Japanese with me, and i stated earlier  Ive started forgetting my Japanese either way because i don't speak it often whenever i do its in short bursts,sometimes i come across words he doesn't know or i dont know either so in that case we're both screwed until one of us looks it up on the net
@Digitalberii <--Twitter

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 15, 2008, 10:51:51 PM

You don't know what you're talking about.  You're not very smart and the things you say are nonsense.  And I'm not angry.  But you need to shut up or be a MAN and speak more Japanese than the rest of us can do!

Back to the subject! Anyone else knows Japanese?
Kraken Con Staff

Steve.Young

WTF is japanese?

I kid I kid,

I managed to catch a few phrases but honestly, I know crap for Japanese. One of these days I might take a class for shits and giggles, but I'm not too worried about it.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

PyronIkari

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 16, 2008, 01:46:24 AM

You don't know what you're talking about.  You're not very smart and the things you say are nonsense.  And I'm not angry.  But you need to shut up or be a MAN and speak more Japanese than the rest of us can do!

Back to the subject! Anyone else knows Japanese?

... Huh? But I quoted you guys exactly, and stated the clear contridiction in what you guys wrote. So how is that nonsense, and how does that make me not very smart? And what does being a man have to do with anything? If I cared to learn Japanese, I would. It might be interesting and what not, and semi-useful since a good majority of my friends are Japanese, and what with me going to Japan occasionally. In the end though, I don't think it's worth the time to invest in it. I know a small amount to get me by. I don't see investing a few years of my life to learn Japanese only to play import games, read comics, watch cartoons, and to have a conversation with Japanese people when I don't need to.

Actually, there is one legitimate reason why I should learn Japanese, so I can go be a host, rake in about a million dollars, and have a good laugh with Eileen about it.

OniCourseMusha

Kraken Con Staff

JTchinoy

taken japanese 1-3 at de anza.

sukoshi wakaru kedo mada jouzu dayo.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

GirlfromIpanema

But you need to shut up or be a MAN and speak more Japanese than the rest of us can do!

Speaking Japanese makes one manly?  Wow, I'm so macho and manly! 

I live and work in Japan.  I read, speak and write Japanese on a daily basis.  My daily reading materials are comics, self-help beauty guides and legal documents.  I watch tv varieties and the news.  And once in a while I am forced to watch *BAD* Disney dubs when Pyron comes to visit. 

PyronIkari

Quote from: GirlfromIpanema on June 16, 2008, 03:21:22 AM
But you need to shut up or be a MAN and speak more Japanese than the rest of us can do!

I live and work in Japan.  I read, speak and write Japanese on a daily basis.  My daily reading materials are comics, self-help beauty guides and legal documents.  I watch tv varieties and the news.  And once in a while I am forced to watch *BAD* Disney dubs when Pyron comes to visit. 

DUCKS FLY TOGETHER~

OniCourseMusha

What part of Japan are you from?  Cuz I've been to Japan so many times there myself with my family and once wit my Japan club.  My Japanese is only good enough to have a decent conversation plus I would LOVE to read more manga and sometimes newspaper to help my vocabulary.  So how is Pyron in person eh?
Kraken Con Staff

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 16, 2008, 02:29:22 AM
taken japanese 1-3 at de anza.

sukoshi wakaru kedo mada jouzu dayo.

I feel the sudden urge to pet your hat and pinch your cheeks. :O

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 16, 2008, 03:22:10 AM

DUCKS FLY TOGETHER~

F*cking retards.

Ah, well... since I finally posted in this thread, I guess I'll contribute with my fair share of "manliness". I can't say that I'm fluent, but my comprehension is pretty average. I can speak enough to get by, and to have simple conversations. I have several relatives and family friends that only speak Japanese, and at most, some Mandarin (which I'm more confident in speaking) and maybe some English-- and they tolerate my poor form of speaking while understanding the majority of what I say. My pronunciation is pretty native-sounding, from the opinions I've been given, and the confusion of others thinking I actually speak fluently. (Ha. Ha.) But English is now my primary language.

I tried learning French, but that didn't work out too well. Studying languages... I don't mind it, but I haven't really gave it an actual go, just yet. I can understand most dialogue in anime and tv shows, unless the style of speaking differs from normal speech-- and even then, I recognize most stereotypical "accents" and slang, or whatever you call them. I'm bad with different dialects, but some don't stray too far away from the primary language, and tend to be fine. It only takes me longer to understand. I can play most fully-voiced eroge, save from a few Nitro+ titles (Saya no Uta) that tend to have pretty advanced language.

I can pick up a manga and understand a good amount of what's being said to the extent I can follow a storyline, in most cases-- only a few that use regional-terms, advanced terms, etc etc, language puns and what have you, I start having trouble. My kanji comprehension sucks ass, as I can honestly say I don't know more than 2000+ kanji... I think. In the end, my comprehension in terms of READING and LISTENING... totally outdo my ability to speak and write, myself.

I think that's about it. Isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I know enough where it can be somewhat convenient. I just don't feel confident in speaking it for extended amounts of time. I find myself speaking Mandarin more often, as more people here speak it. It's also become a household thing, now that my mum's new boyfriend only speaks Mandarin fluently.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Mister_E

I know a few words none are useful.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%