How much Japanese do you know?

Started by OniCourseMusha, June 13, 2008, 01:52:38 AM

OniCourseMusha

I'm curious about how good is your Japanese in general since I only met very few real Japanese attendees spoke Japanese towards me during Fanime and we had a decant conversation.  I'm raised in a Japanese family that I do good enough to have a conversation but still need work on more Kanji and more hard vocabulary.  And I need practice speaking more wit actual fluent people!

EDIT: Sorry guys, since there was a stupid internet fight wit annoying Mikey rude post towards me and my girlfriend, I'm gonna lock this and let this move to the Internet Drama thread.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Jerry

very little.    :-X  i'll just watch enough anime in japanese and I'll emulate it like a weebo should. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Shi_Musouka

I only know as much as a semester's worth of Japanese, though I'm slightly a bit farther than my class in terms of kanji and vocab. I pick up words and phrases here and there from anime as well. Only thing I really need work on is my grammar, maybe increase my vocab and kanji, and I'll probably be good to go.

There's probably a high chance that I'll pick it up again for a second semester or longer.

(I only took the class because it offered a buttload of college credit, which was totally worth it >>)

neko ewen

I'm finishing up an M.A. in Japanese and I'm a freelance translator, so I like to think I'm pretty decent, though I'm better with written than spoken.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

SOawesomeness

Hehe, *very* little. I can do very basic conversational stuff and I can read a bit of Kanji coz I took Chinese for three years at my high school. >.>
I'm taking Japanese 1 for my senior year in high school for fun. (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Sunara Ishi

Enough.

I've had two years at college (equal to 4 years high school) but I suck at speaking. I prefer to listen and read; its what I'm better at. Composing is so-so but I'd get stuck if I didn't have dictionaries ready. I still tend to mess up with those darn particles; namely "は" and "が".
I'm still at the stage where I need a dictionary for some things but I can understand quite a bit; its unknown words that throw me off.

I'd probably improve if I actually practiced more but I'm too lazy (right now) to practice with real people. XP
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Barnes

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

mDuo13

My Japanese knowledge is strongly skewed towards vocabulary and phrases that are useful in anime but not elsewhere.

So I can follow a fair bit of a typical anime in raw, but I won't get the tough sentences. And if it comes to useful everyday interactions, I'm pretty hopeless.

I have a slightly harder time reading, even if there's furigana. If it's straight-up kanji, forget about it. I know hardly any.

BrightHeart76

Just enough to make myself look like an idiot.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

OniCourseMusha

I've forced myself to watch the rest of the entire eps of Ninku in Raw since there was the lack of fansubs available for that series.  But I did understood almost half of the dialogues through the entire series.
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

PyronIkari

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 13, 2008, 07:14:38 PM
I've forced myself to watch the rest of the entire eps of Ninku in Raw since there was the lack of fansubs available for that series.  But I did understood almost half of the dialogues through the entire series.

and then
QuoteI'm raised in a Japanese family that I do well in fluent conversation but still need work on more Kanji and more hard vocabulary.  And I need practice speaking more wit actual fluent people!

If you understood only half of a children's anime series... you're not very fluent. You're nothing close to fluent.  It means you understand basics and that's about all.

I can understand decently well, but much like most languages, I don't like speaking other languages unless I absolutely have to. I found my way around Japan just fine, and was able to ask and understand whatever help was needed to find whatever it was that I was looking for.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 13, 2008, 07:22:24 PM
and then
QuoteI'm raised in a Japanese family that I do well in fluent conversation but still need work on more Kanji and more hard vocabulary.  And I need practice speaking more wit actual fluent people!

If you understood only half of a children's anime series... you're not very fluent. You're nothing close to fluent.  It means you understand basics and that's about all.

I can understand decently well, but much like most languages, I don't like speaking other languages unless I absolutely have to. I found my way around Japan just fine, and was able to ask and understand whatever help was needed to find whatever it was that I was looking for.
Oh yes I can understand childen's anime series like Doraemon just fine.  I have trouble wit harder word vocabulary and I have to ask my mom what it means.  I had to speak alot towards my family and our Japanese Trainees who crashes at my Mom's place.  The only Japanese I can't understand worth shit is my Dad's Gagoshima dialect.  I would like hear your Japanese in person and have a nice conversation.  All right lets say I'm not really fluent then plus both my older sisters are more fluent than I am.
Kraken Con Staff

otakuapprentice

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on June 13, 2008, 07:43:02 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on June 13, 2008, 07:22:24 PM
and then

Oh yes I can understand childen's anime series like Doraemon.  I had to speak alot towards my family and our Japanese Trainees who crashes at my Mom's place.  The only Japanese I can't understand worth shit is my Dad's Gagoshima dialect.  I would like hear your Japanese in person.
this quite possibly has potential for being a really, really bad encounter.

I knew a small amount of the language, but since I haven't used it(more like never used it), I have pretty much forgotten everything(save for like a very, very, very small amount of simple words), so I'm sure that I would be royally screwed if I got stuck anywhere in japan.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Dragon Ninja

I can't make heads or tails of the language, I do know some words in Japanese, but that's mainly it.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

questionette

Nothing XD.
And I prefer not to walk around looking like a wonder bread idiot trying to speak Japanese.

Tony

To paraphrase a saying, I know enough to realize how little I know. In a similar vein to Pyron's comment, I wouldn't speak unless I had to.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Mizuki

Uhhh... NANTO HO'O KEN OUGI TENSHO JUJIHO.

Chun

Enough to get myself un-lost in Akihabara, and talk to a random kind-hearted passerby to reunite me with my family. (True Story)

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Chun on June 14, 2008, 01:03:34 AM
Enough to get myself un-lost in Akihabara, and talk to a random kind-hearted passerby to reunite me with my family. (True Story)
How you like Akihabara?  I've only been there once unless my mom refresh my memory when I was little.
Kraken Con Staff

Airi

VERY little, pretty much close to nothing, lol. XD
I only watch anime to know a "few"  :-X