What game are you competitive on or working hard on?

Started by OniCourseMusha, June 14, 2008, 02:11:33 AM

Darryl Mendoza

Justin Wong lol, he seems like a really asshole type of guy to me. But at the same time, a really chill person. But then yeah, hes not humble at all, Camera man- "Hey Justin Wong, how do you do this?" JWong- "Its just magic man"

When he said that, it made me think of him as a little arrogant.
Extra Fresh League
MvC2: Team Matrix, Team Santhrax
Guilty Gear Accent Core- Slayer, Bridget
Street Figther 3rd Strike- Makoto, Dudley, Akuma

PyronIkari

Quote from: Darryl Mendoza on September 12, 2008, 10:00:13 PM
Justin Wong lol, he seems like a really asshole type of guy to me. But at the same time, a really chill person. But then yeah, hes not humble at all, Camera man- "Hey Justin Wong, how do you do this?" JWong- "Its just magic man"

Don't confuse "not humble" with arrogant. Wong proves himself over and over again. What he says is true, so it's not really arrogance. He's skilled and talented. He's an alright guy, but all his talk isn't just talk. Choi on the other hand is really humble, same with Hsien. Valle is extremely confident, and is a little arrogant at times, but once more, he proves himself time and time again. Amir is the epitome of being humble. Always talking about how he's getting lucky and how if just a small thing were different he'd have lost. How if it weren't for that extra practice he would have missed something that would have cost the match. Ed Ma is one of the nicest guys ever. That guy will play with anyone, and talk and try to pep up the guy he's playing against, give him pointers, and everything. Watson is just... Watson. Can't even describe him. On flip, you look at the JP community, there's all kinds there too. Daigo who is pretty anti-social, doesn't really say a word so you can't call him humble or arrogant. Nuki on the other hand is all about having fun while doing it. KSK... hahahhaa, he's more about the community and just playing for the fun of it. Chikyuu was all about playing characters he liked over anything else, and winning on his own terms. KO... looks down on most people. It's why he switched to Yang in 3S. He straight up said, it's too easy to win with Yun, and that isn't any fun anymore.

There's all kinds of top competitors. What makes a champ? Winning, that's all. It doesn't matter how you act while getting there, the fact that you beat everyone else is what matters.

Shit talking and being arrogant is what made the community grow though. Back during A2-A3,2i, CvS1, early Marvel, it was all about rivalries. Viscant and a whole ton of people. Valle and Choi. Eddie Lee(who here actually knows who Eddie Lee is?) and Valle. The entire EC vs the entire WC. Duc and Valle. Nelson/Cole, Valle. Hell I had rivalries. These rivalries forced us to practice and get better, and that's what competition was. Then B5 came along, and it all disappeared. Japan vs. USA. Back then, Japan dominated us completely in everything outside of MvC2. A3 Daigo came and just owned up everyone for free. Wasn't even a joke. Dogface made an amazing post about this on SRK and I'm too lazy to find it and link. Before there were only two people. Choi, and Valle. He makes a great comment about how everyone played, and when you lost you'd think in the back of my mind "My boy could easily own this fool". And back then, that name was always "choi" or "valle". And it was truth. No one could beat them in any game, any time. Any one in any arcade in America, you could say "Choi could easilly beat this guy". or "Valle would own this guy for free" and it'd be true.

Then Japan destroyed that. Daigo nearly double perfecting both of them. Then 3S where Chikyuu, who isn't even very good, got 80 wins on basically every single top American player rotating around. Chikyuu raping America in CvS1 with RAIDEN~. Rivalries stopped. It was about beating Japan. And frankly, it killed quite a bit of the community. People stopped hardcore practicing for the next tournament because who cares if we beat the EC or if so and so won it, it didn't mean anything because it wasn't Japan.

And for this I'm thankful for MvC2. MvC2 resparked the whole rivalry thing. Everyone trying to beat wong, yipes, MM being thrown around, shit talk galore.

So you people can say whatever you want, but arrogance and shit talk is what makes this community good. As long as it's legitimate, not retarded kids on xbox-live talking about how you suck and they can beat you.

Mizuki

I'll post just in response to your question. Yes I know of Eddie Lee, but I doubt any of these kids know about him, nor do they probably care haha.

JTchinoy

Quote from: PyronIkari on September 12, 2008, 11:13:33 PM

So you people can say whatever you want, but arrogance and shit talk is what makes this community good. As long as it's legitimate, not retarded kids on xbox-live talking about how you suck and they can beat you.
Arrogance and shit talking leads to drama and disputes and grudges.  Being an arrogant little shit back in Tekken 5.0, I know this pretty well.  If you consider that a good community, you have fun with that.  A good community to me is one where it's about the community, relationships, good games, and improving everyone's skill;not about MAINLY "legitimate" bragging rights and $$$.  I'm all for fun shit talking that hypes up a game and gets the crowd into it, but real shit talking that really is meant to insult the target is the kind of stuff I don't enjoy.

Who knows, maybe being spoiled by a great gaming community in the Philippines spoiled me and I have little to no tolerance for egos and arrogance now.

I hear enough bragging and shit talking within the Tekken community, I can't imagine listening to all the shit that goes on in all of the other games.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Devereaux

Quote from: PyronIkari on September 12, 2008, 07:00:30 PM
When where and for how much?

What game sir?

Whenever there's a gathering where I'm not to busy making fun of people, I'll play, monetary rewards to be decided on location.

Quote from: Darryl Mendoza on September 12, 2008, 10:00:13 PM

Don't confuse "not humble" with arrogant. Wong proves himself over and over again. What he says is true, so it's not really arrogance. He's skilled and talented. He's an alright guy, but all his talk isn't just talk. Choi on the other hand is really humble, same with Hsien. Valle is extremely confident, and is a little arrogant at times, but once more, he proves himself time and time again. Amir is the epitome of being humble. Always talking about how he's getting lucky and how if just a small thing were different he'd have lost. How if it weren't for that extra practice he would have missed something that would have cost the match. Ed Ma is one of the nicest guys ever. That guy will play with anyone, and talk and try to pep up the guy he's playing against, give him pointers, and everything. Watson is just... Watson. Can't even describe him. On flip, you look at the JP community, there's all kinds there too. Daigo who is pretty anti-social, doesn't really say a word so you can't call him humble or arrogant. Nuki on the other hand is all about having fun while doing it. KSK... hahahhaa, he's more about the community and just playing for the fun of it. Chikyuu was all about playing characters he liked over anything else, and winning on his own terms. KO... looks down on most people. It's why he switched to Yang in 3S. He straight up said, it's too easy to win with Yun, and that isn't any fun anymore.

There's all kinds of top competitors. What makes a champ? Winning, that's all. It doesn't matter how you act while getting there, the fact that you beat everyone else is what matters.

Shit talking and being arrogant is what made the community grow though. Back during A2-A3,2i, CvS1, early Marvel, it was all about rivalries. Viscant and a whole ton of people. Valle and Choi. Eddie Lee(who here actually knows who Eddie Lee is?) and Valle. The entire EC vs the entire WC. Duc and Valle. Nelson/Cole, Valle. Hell I had rivalries. These rivalries forced us to practice and get better, and that's what competition was. Then B5 came along, and it all disappeared. Japan vs. USA. Back then, Japan dominated us completely in everything outside of MvC2. A3 Daigo came and just owned up everyone for free. Wasn't even a joke. Dogface made an amazing post about this on SRK and I'm too lazy to find it and link. Before there were only two people. Choi, and Valle. He makes a great comment about how everyone played, and when you lost you'd think in the back of my mind "My boy could easily own this fool". And back then, that name was always "choi" or "valle". And it was truth. No one could beat them in any game, any time. Any one in any arcade in America, you could say "Choi could easilly beat this guy". or "Valle would own this guy for free" and it'd be true.

Then Japan destroyed that. Daigo nearly double perfecting both of them. Then 3S where Chikyuu, who isn't even very good, got 80 wins on basically every single top American player rotating around. Chikyuu raping America in CvS1 with RAIDEN~. Rivalries stopped. It was about beating Japan. And frankly, it killed quite a bit of the community. People stopped hardcore practicing for the next tournament because who cares if we beat the EC or if so and so won it, it didn't mean anything because it wasn't Japan.

And for this I'm thankful for MvC2. MvC2 resparked the whole rivalry thing. Everyone trying to beat wong, yipes, MM being thrown around, shit talk galore.

Couldn't you have just said I agree with Tsubasa and Dev. Fuck man, thanks for the essay...
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JTchinoy on September 13, 2008, 01:51:42 AM

Arrogance and shit talking leads to drama and disputes and grudges.  Being an arrogant little shit back in Tekken 5.0, I know this pretty well.  If you consider that a good community, you have fun with that.  A good community to me is one where it's about the community, relationships, good games, and improving everyone's skill;not about MAINLY "legitimate" bragging rights and $$$.  I'm all for fun shit talking that hypes up a game and gets the crowd into it, but real shit talking that really is meant to insult the target is the kind of stuff I don't enjoy.

Who knows, maybe being spoiled by a great gaming community in the Philippines spoiled me and I have little to no tolerance for egos and arrogance now.

I hear enough bragging and shit talking within the Tekken community, I can't imagine listening to all the shit that goes on in all of the other games.
A community's arrogance does make it good. It leads to you wanting to prove yourself, making the game not boring. And it gives life to the game.
And the most awesome thing about LIVE is that half the players talk shit even when they lose. Even when you and your buddy are bored enough to go through a game crotch walking across a map, not killing, and trying to talk to other players while they kill each other, they do so.
The only thing I find more annoying is being talked shit about being a Team Classic Poser. Taking Control was around before Team Classic was a good, popular team you bastards!

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Umi.Ryuuzaki

Working Hard On (no pun intended) wise, beating CoD4 on the hardest difficulty - its actually hard. Competition wise, I am trying to sharpen my skills and competency in TF2 so I can somehow get in a CAL-O team.

To the last 10 posts about competition/smack talk/arrogance - Its all human nature. People will complain "wtf exploitz" or "cheap bastard", well, unless there are rules dictating, I rather use whatever it takes to take down someone. It might be dirty, but if he or she don't know how to counter it, they deserved to get owned. Smack talk is a double edge sword: it can be a good motivator to make someone push him or her competitive, or it can lead to low-level insults. Terrible players will be identified and laughed at or encouraged to improve, good players will be noticed, praised, envied or harassed. Good sportsmanship, regardless of the situlation, will put you higher than any smack talking person that thinks he or she knows it but lying to hide it.

I have no problems saying someone sucks but I back it up and prove it. Its the whole attitude thing that will get into people's heads and make them be hated by everyone.
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

PyronIkari

Quote from: Devereaux on September 13, 2008, 02:19:33 AM

What game sir?

Whenever there's a gathering where I'm not to busy making fun of people, I'll play, monetary rewards to be decided on location.
Arcana, though I guess I could learn Melty...

Couldn't you have just said I agree with Tsubasa and Dev. Fuck man, thanks for the essay...

Way to miss the point of that post.

soakrates`

I know who Eddie Lee is. :3

I barely missed the match where he beat Daigo at CvS2 back at Evo2k4. At least I think it was CvS2.

As for shit-talk, I gotta agree that it helps make competitive gaming scenes more interesting. This is true in pro sports as well. Football fans will remember how Joe Namath brashly "guaranteed" that his Jets would upset the Colts, which made that year's championship game a lot more interesting. And as much as we look back on Muhammad Ali's career with rose-colored glasses, he was a HUGE shit talker at his peak ("I'm the greatest!"), and that was part of his allure. Guys like Namath and Ali made their respective sports more interesting by putting more on the line than just wins, losses and money.

Sure it's great when people are humble and deferential in victory and defeat, but if everybody was like that, scenes would get boring real fast. It's not just the competition that makes a scene interesting, it's the varying personalities as well.

I don't know if it's real or not, but one of my favorite quotes that gets thrown around is from RTD, who was one of the best SoulCalibur 2 players back when that game was still viable. He and a bunch of players from the US went over to France for a big international team survival tourney. Just as his team's about to play, he tells his teammates:

"You guys can go get something to eat. I got this."

How do you not love that?

LordKefka

There were some ok people in that MvC2 tourney when I was there. Played one game and left cause it seemed it was going to take forever.

And anyone know where I can MM in Boston?.. in fact, anyone know if MvC2 exists in Boston?..-_-;

EDIT: Man, I want to get good in GG, but shit, I had it 4 years ago when it came out for the xbox. Had a fighter stick too, but it only goes so far when no one else plays it around you I guess (ie. against the comp...). Same goes for Melty Blood and Arcana Heart...*sigh.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Mizuki

Uhhhh, you're complaining about lack of fighting game players in MA? Go to Tokyo Gaming Action arcade. Why do you not know about it, and I do and I'm on the opposite side of the country. Why don't you look up arcades before whining to us about "I HAVE NO ONE TO PLAY" Hell go to a local college and you'll find people, and don't say there's none because I knew someone who lived in MA and moved just recently.

abcbadcat

Im trying to beat everyone who challenges me at Soul Calibur IV and getting better at Guitar and Drums on Rock Band 2.

I BEAT THE GAME LAST NIGHT!

:D

LordKefka

Quote from: Mizuki on September 16, 2008, 12:30:42 AM
Uhhhh, you're complaining about lack of fighting game players in MA? Go to Tokyo Gaming Action arcade. Why do you not know about it, and I do and I'm on the opposite side of the country. Why don't you look up arcades before whining to us about "I HAVE NO ONE TO PLAY" Hell go to a local college and you'll find people, and don't say there's none because I knew someone who lived in MA and moved just recently.

Whoa calm down there buddy. It just came to me last night as I was posting my rant. I haven't cared to look up anything yet. And tell me when I said there weren't any people who played in Boston. Read before post.

When I said "no one to play", I was referring to 4 years ago when I was in another state half way across the country in Iowa. You know in English when you start a new paragraph you're jumping to a new idea? I was referring to when I was in Iowa City I couldn't find anyone who played that game (GGXX). And don't tell me I didn't try because I was at the University there and that's the only place. There was a Namco arcade but no fighters. I started the anime club and even brought the game and no one played.

And If you knew I just moved to Boston (as I think I mentioned or alluded to) and me mentioning getting GG FOUR years ago, use your brain and logic to figure out I'm referring to the past when I wasn't in Boston at the time. Not trying to be a dick but you're being a damn idiot and jumping the gun on me.

EDIT: Forget it...
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Mizuki

Quote from: LordKefka on September 16, 2008, 12:19:12 PM
Quote from: Mizuki on September 16, 2008, 12:30:42 AM

Whoa calm down there buddy. It just came to me last night as I was posting my rant. I haven't cared to look up anything yet. And tell me when I said there weren't any people who played in Boston. Read before post.

When I said "no one to play", I was referring to 4 years ago when I was in another state half way across the country in Iowa. You know in English when you start a new paragraph you're jumping to a new idea? I was referring to when I was in Iowa City I couldn't find anyone who played that game (GGXX). And don't tell me I didn't try because I was at the University there and that's the only place. There was a Namco arcade but no fighters. I started the anime club and even brought the game and no one played.

And If you knew I just moved to Boston (as I think I mentioned or alluded to) and me mentioning getting GG FOUR years ago, use your brain and logic to figure out I'm referring to the past when I wasn't in Boston at the time. Not trying to be a dick but you're being a damn idiot and jumping the gun on me.

EDIT: Forget it...

I was referring to your "Is there anyone even here that plays Marvel," when I said there are people that play. There are. Seriously.

Without any information stated, one would think that you were in Boston 4 years ago, you had not said anything to make me think otherwise, unfortunetly I'm not a psychic, and I don't stalk you. I didn't even say anything about trying to start up a scene, also no where in my post did I say, or mention you just moving to Boston.

Rhornez

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Spalding

Is all about anime and fanime.

clawmaster

if i had one game that i am working on to get better is soulcalibar 4.  though i get the feeling cuz at fanime there is going to be a tourny of it but probably ps3....feels like I kinda should of waited for the ps3 version with an arcade stick. unless there is a 360 soulcailbar 4 tourny i might have to get another copy when i get a ps3 with the arcade stick. but still wonering if i go into it or not is the question

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Death_Note_Matt

What game that I am competitive on is??? Hmmm let me see...??
I think Just games in general...every game I play I try to be the best at it..but if I had to pick a few... it would Be The Tekken series and Guilty Gear along with King of Fighters.
So Mostly Fighting games. I love Kicking ass in Fighting Games.
Another Player has Entered the Game

PyronIkari

Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on October 07, 2008, 09:57:17 PM
I think Just games in general...every game I play I try to be the best at it..but if I had to pick a few... it would Be The Tekken series and Guilty Gear along with King of Fighters.

Hi, let's play for money.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 07, 2008, 10:31:31 PM
Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on October 07, 2008, 09:57:17 PM

Hi, let's play for money.
make a vid of it, plzkthnx.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.