Firefox 3.0!

Started by mDuo13, June 16, 2008, 02:28:13 PM

mDuo13

I'm so psyched. It comes out - officially - tomorrow. I'm going to participate in Download Day and everything.

So many features I'm looking forward to. New rendering engine, huge RAM savings, the AwesomeBar, a passwords manager that doesn't make me guess whether I got it right before going on...

Anyone else as ready for this is as I am? Or are you all going to stay back on 2.0 because your favorite extensions don't work with version 3? Or, perhaps, you'd rather use some other browser?

G.I.R

I'll probably download it, but it won't be my primary web browser.

As for other web browsers...

RyuHayabusa

I'm downloading it and sticking with it.

My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

otakuapprentice

i'll think about it after i hear the initial response on the weekend.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Tsubasa

Tell me how it goes, Rome.  I'll take your word and decide to upgrade or not.

I'm kinda reluctant to lose some of my extensions. >.<
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

mDuo13

Quote from: Tsubasa on June 16, 2008, 08:11:41 PM
Tell me how it goes, Rome.  I'll take your word and decide to upgrade or not.

I'm kinda reluctant to lose some of my extensions. >.<
Yeah, I know the feeling. By and large, extensions have been updated in preparation, though I have two or three that I use regularly which don't seem like they'll be compatible yet. Which ones are you waiting on?

Steve.Young

I'm excited but I'm waiting for certain peripherals to be updated to work with 3.0 =)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Tsubasa

Quote from: mDuo13 on June 16, 2008, 10:33:30 PMWhich ones are you waiting on?

Primarily Snap Links.

Actually, I took the initiative and actually checked my extensions.  Except that, I'm pretty good.  I might go through with the upgrade.

Unless Firesomething really means something to me. =P
-Tsubasa

heeroyuy135

mDuo13

This post is coming to you live from Firefox 3. So far, it looks OK, but I'm not able to add extensions because the page is down (probably getting hammered from too many users upgrading, the way Mozilla.com and Spreadfirefox.com are).

The new theme is pretty nice-looking. about:robots is a cool page. They display a warning message before letting you into about:config now. The new password manager really is reason enough to upgrade IMO.

I used to use Firesomething back in 1.0, but I had to leave it behind when I upgraded to 1.5. I wasn't aware it'd been updated to be compatible. I remember at one point I hacked it so it claimed to be compatible with 2.0, but that wasn't on my main computer. It'll be tough to go without Snap Links, though. Maybe Nightly Tester Tools will let me use it.

EDIT: Someone on Lifehacker pointed out that you can do the same thing as Snap Links using Mouse Gestures (another extension I've been using for ages)... I'm going to have to try that out as soon as it'll let me download some extensions.

EDIT 2: Ok, Addons.mozilla.org isn't coming back any time soon. I'm going back to 2.0 until bandwidth demands die down a bit (probably about a day).

mDuo13

Looks like Mozilla's servers are back to normal now. I've downloaded and installed most of the extensions I normally use. Haven't tried forcing compatibility with SnapLinks or Distrust yet, but the mouse gesture described in Lifehacker does indeed work as advertised. Not QUITE as convenient as Snaplinks, but not bad.

Lactose

is it worth downloading?
Lactose = Liz

mDuo13

Yes. It's freakin' fast compared to 2, all other improvements aside.

EDIT: I'm at home, with an install here on top of my old profile. All-in-one Sidebar, Distrust, and Snap Links are still not compatible. I can get by without Snap Links, and the sidebar was mostly just a neat thing rather than a necessity. Distrust, on the other hand, might be a bit annoying to go without.

Tsubasa

Quote from: mDuo13 on June 17, 2008, 05:56:00 PMI can get by without Snap Links...

I don't understand how.
-Tsubasa

LastElixir

Chun

Pshaw, who needs Snap Links when you have Middle Click or Ctrl + Click?

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

mDuo13

Quote from: LastElixir on June 17, 2008, 09:29:12 PM
Quote from: Tsubasa on June 17, 2008, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on June 17, 2008, 05:56:00 PMI can get by without Snap Links...

I don't understand how.

i agree

j
Like I said earlier, there's a mouse gesture that does the same thing, and mouse gestures are something I've been using far longer than Snap Links. But if you must have the real Snap Links, you can always hack the version string so that it will install under 3.0. So far as I see and hear, it works fine under Windows at least. (Pre-hacked version is available here.)

Oh, and Distrust has been updated for Firefox 3 (it's waiting for approval on addons.mozilla.org, but I got it from the Distrust homepage today) so that pretty much settles my issues.

Tsubasa

I think I'll wait a couple of days for a bit more feedback.

Quote from: Chun on June 17, 2008, 11:54:30 PM
Pshaw, who needs Snap Links when you have Middle Click or Ctrl + Click

To the casual user or someone who just reads the description, perhaps it may seem equivalent.  Not quite.
-Tsubasa

heeroyuy135

So did they break the World Record?