Summer Anime 2008

Started by Tsubasa, June 18, 2008, 07:19:39 AM

xxxplizit

Wasn't Ikkitousen Great Guardians last season (Spring)? ???

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 04, 2008, 01:35:05 PM
First Slayers Revolution episode is finally subbed. I'M READY FOR IT.

As for Sekirei, it is so bad, so bad, SO BAD that it's actually, for a little while, really hilarious. It is like, the fanservicey magical girlfriend harem series, distilled until the point where every facet of it is self-parodying. I've seen a little bit of this kind of stuff before - basically, it covers as many clichés as it can within a single episode.  And damn, that's a lot. I probably won't watch more (I suspect the way fights are basically an excuse to show jiggling jugs would really start to bother me after a while) but that first episode was a crack-up.
I see my instincts about it were correct. -.-;

I watched Slayers Revolution and Antique Bakery.

Antique Bakery is pretty meh. I don't think its for me. Its not that its too gay... its just too boring (and gay). >.>; I think I prefer light shounen-ai.

Slayers was awesome. (Though I need to remember to watch it on Media Player because the subs somehow got messed up on my copy of VLC player.) The ED was better than the OP but so far they have yet to live up to the the OPs and EDs of the original series. For some reason, my memory of their voices are different... at least Amelia's. I wonder if the seiyuu was a lot younger back then and the voice changed due to maturity... >.>;

Ryoko's case file airs today! ~waits patiently for raw~
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Watched mahou-sora ep 1. The series is very low-budget, and the Osamu Kobayashi influence is noticeable, to my slight dismay. The backgrounds look more like photos, which are nice-looking, but it makes them so static that it feels kind of out of place - I'd have preferred 2D watercolors or something, but it's ok. Story is similar in tone to Someday's Dreamers (go figure), which means it's very slow-paced and peaceful. The music isn't bad, especially the acoustic guitar ED; the BGM is very celtic-sounding. Overall, nothing to write home about, but probably worthwhile overall.

Tsubasa

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 06, 2008, 10:29:31 PM
Watched mahou-sora ep 1... Story is similar in tone to Someday's Dreamers (go figure)...

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto is "Someday's Dreamers."  Natsu no Sora is the second series.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Chun

Quote from: Tsubasa on July 07, 2008, 05:32:26 PM
Watched mahou-sora ep 1... Story is similar in tone to Someday's Dreamers (go figure)...

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto is "Someday's Dreamers."  Natsu no Sora is the second series.

that is correct, and this is not to be confused as following the Someday's Dreamers "Spellbound" universe continuity in the manga; this is also something completely different.

I rep the Someday's Dreamers series pretty hard [READ: One of the Favorite Series of All Time], so this in summary was something I looked forward to.

First off, I don't understand why J.C. Staff couldn't have produced this again. Hal Film just doesn't cut it. The animation is unique but it doesn't have the clean "feel" I've learned to love from Norie Yamada's scenarios and adapted from Kumichi Yoshizuki's work; it feels scrap-bookish, and I guess they were shooting for the "real life" bit, but it's messy. They might as well have made this Live-Action. I cringed at the 5 different faces of the Dog and the awkward head rounding of all the characters/proportions. Did ANY of these characters get a proper model? I thought they drew them on the photos themselves >>. Probably would explain why the website is so stringent...

OP is nice but feels a bit too energetic for a laid-back series, and the ED delivers somewhat.

Sora seems like a somewhat interesting character (Head in the clouds but standing), but I'll have to see another episode further, as this really didn't offer much. This was pretty much "background characters" + happy main in preparation for Tokyo.

The philosophy "If there is a time you can use magic, use it" strikes me as awkward. The previous series in Spellbound and the first heavily emphasize the fact "Magic is not all-powerful, your own strength is your power", yet using it so freely is looked as positive.  These philosophies and beliefs about magic are what truly make the series for me.

Universes:

1 - Yume learns though she has power she should not rely on it

SP - Nami has power but does not want it/does not wish to control it

I'll have to see how much of the system Sora will go through (Ring certification, housing/training situation, and asked activities for training with final exam) before I can make real judgment on how its adaptation is (The latter of the series).

To be honest, I didn't get the same feel of content after this first episode, and it strikes me in the wrong way.

I'm a bit disappointed, but I have some hope it will improve. More details when next broadcast comes.

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

mDuo13

Quote from: Tsubasa on July 07, 2008, 05:32:26 PM

Yes, I'm well aware. When I said that it was similar in tone to "Someday's Dreamers", I meant to the first series. Ergo, the "go figure". =)

Chun: Yeah, the production values are gonna disappoint you. Osamu Kobayashi is like that. =/

Chun

Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo Ep 1

If I pretend season 2 didn't exist, this is actually pretty good.

They took some of the stupid out of Saito and went back to his S1 personality, though they kept the couple of dog jokes from the past. First five minutes of the episode is what every doujin has done minus what is expected to be done (Expect another flood of doujin), and the middle is enjoyable.

The OP is good, but the ED is too stringy (Let's milk that voice for all its worth!).

I'm looking positive at this series. Kugimiya Rie is doing her job, and that's that.

~Chun

Spiritsnare

Quote from: Chun on July 07, 2008, 07:17:10 PMI don't understand why J.C. Staff couldn't have produced this again.

Well, I do. Even if I don't rep the series hard (rather, at all).
epic progressive

vox

Chun

Quote from: Spiritsnare on July 07, 2008, 09:22:12 PM
Quote from: Chun on July 07, 2008, 07:17:10 PMI don't understand why J.C. Staff couldn't have produced this again.

Well, I do. Even if I don't rep the series hard (rather, at all).

Well at least a studio that DOES BETTER. There's a few more studios that could handle this ambience than the crap animation I see now. Bad decision....

I still want my pretty characters :<

But then again Рубаки: Революция has been anticipated, and I respect that.

~Chun

shortpachoo

Question for those who have watched Slayers in the past and the new one this season:

Should I watch the previous ones first or is it fine to start with the one airing now?

Quote from: Chun on July 07, 2008, 09:10:43 PM
Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo Ep 1

The OP is good, but the ED is too stringy (Let's milk that voice for all its worth!).

I'm looking positive at this series. Kugimiya Rie is doing her job, and that's that.

~Chun
Haven't seen the first episode but,

I liked the opening but as with S2 I don't really like the ending.

I wonder though how TabithaxSaito and TiffaniaxSaito relationships will work out, with Siesta after Saito and Louise and Saito together already in place

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

Tsubasa

Quote from: shortpachoo on July 07, 2008, 11:21:16 PM
Question for those who have watched Slayers in the past and the new one this season:

Should I watch the previous ones first or is it fine to start with the one airing now?

It's possible to jump in on any Slayers series, but be aware that if you start on any sequel without seeing prior series, you'll be missing important information on events and characters.  I'm inclined to say that it's necessary to start on the original series and to work your way through, but I've seen people who jumped straight in on, say, NEXT or even TRY and very much enjoy themselves.
-Tsubasa

Chun

Quote from: Tsubasa on July 08, 2008, 06:28:57 AM
I'm inclined to say that it's necessary to start on the original series and to work your way through, but I've seen people who jumped straight in on, say, NEXT or even TRY and very much enjoy themselves.

Yes, all I have watched (unfortunately) is some of Next and the Gorgeous movie, and I enjoyed Revolution 1 a lot. I think it was one of the few times I actually wholeheartedly laughed throughout an entire episode.

It's good. It hasn't lost its touch at all.

~Chun

mDuo13

Koihime+Musou episode 1 was not good, but not awful. It could, potentially, be enjoyable crap. The fanservice was a little heavy-handed, and the plot was paper-thin, but the designs weren't awful and the episode wasn't drowning in cliches like Sekirei. Most importantly, it seemed to have a good sense of its own non-seriousness, as exemplified by the way the facial expressions on Lin Lin's hairpin changed to match hers.

Slayers Revolution ep 2 was kind of interesting. At the very least, Pokotan (despite the reservations I continue to have about him) is contributing to the humor and not being a complete nuisance. Lina, Gourrey, and all are still on their game, and this Inspector Weiser fellow isn't bad, either.

Sunara Ishi

Koihime†Musō was pretty decent. I think it has promise. I don't mind the occasional bouncing big boobs and fan service as long as its not overdone or tasteless. I actually kinda like that there wasn't a huge plot thrown at me at first; it was laid back and felt like an introduction. I'm sure a plot will be coming... either that or a bunch of mindless enjoyable nonsense with somewhat of a plot. XD; I <3 the costumes. Lin Lin is cute~ XD Its on my list now. XD

Natsume Yuujinchou looks like it will be good. I like it so far.

I watched World Destruction as well. Not too sure what to think yet. As long as it doesn't become overly furry, I might continue to watch it.

As I'm sure its no surprise, I absolutely loved Ryoko's Case Files. How can I not fall in love with the series? Its by my fave mangaka after all. XD
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

mDuo13

Haha, you liked the costumes in Koihime+Muso? I have to call "shenanigans" on any outfit that's modeled on a Chinese dress, but has a mini-necktie.

Ep 2 of Sekirei was still awful, but not hilarious any more. That's enough for me.

World Destruction is fun so far (2 eps). Toppi is the best~kuma. It still holds the potential to turn awful, though.

Tsubasa

I've watched: Koihime Musou, Natsume Yuujinchou, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Ryoko's Case File, Sekirei, Slayers Revolution, Strike Witches, World Destruction

Overall, I'm not hating this season too much.  I'm really liking (obviously) Slayers and Natsume Yuujinchou.  World Destruction, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Ryoko's Case File, and Strike Witches are all enjoyable in one way or another.  Koihime Musou is likely going to be dropped soon.  I think I died a little bit inside watching Sekirei ep. 1.

That's about it for now.
-Tsubasa

mDuo13

First episode of Blade of the Immortal gave me the feeling that it probably took a lot of liberties with the manga, but I'm okay with that because it was really, really Bee Train. Or maybe just Koichi Mashimo. Soundtrack is fairly unusual, too, not necessarily in a good way but whatever.

LastElixir

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 18, 2008, 09:39:06 AM
First episode of Blade of the Immortal gave me the feeling that it probably took a lot of liberties with the manga, but I'm okay with that because it was really, really Bee Train. Or maybe just Koichi Mashimo. Soundtrack is fairly unusual, too, not necessarily in a good way but whatever.

read the manga. shit is boss.

j

Squeeky_Moonkin

I just finished the second season of Zero no Tsukaima. So I can't wait for the third.

so this is what i am looking forward to or am already in the process of watching:
~Princess no Rondo~
Neo Angelique Abyss -Second Age-
Slayers REVOLUTION
Chocolate Underground

Ive been reading scanlations of this:Natsume Yuujin-chou....cant wait to see the anime...baka nekoXD

Jun-Watarase

So far following Slayers, Mahoutsukai ni taisetsu na koto, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Hidamari Sketch x365, and watched an episode of Strike Witches.

Strike Witches... all of them, all their uniforms are just a TOP... and bloomers/sukumizu/panties. No skirts. NEW FASHION STATEMENT? :|

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com