it failed DX
1 (1.1%)
didn't go
49 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

sael

:D Yay! Aggies!

*Rant time*
I finally finished my project with Model Magic and I really have to say that, for big projects, I really hate the stuff. However, I just found out how wonderful paperclay is! XD The stuff is amazing. Easy to apply to a surface, easy to smooth, and easy to shape. I've heard people say that it shrinks a lot, but I really didn't have that problem. It's about the same price as Model Magic (per ounce) but it's sold in individual packets rather than 2lb boxes (of 4 pouches). The stuff responds well to water and smooths back together. I recommend it for smaller projects - I only used it to cover the Model Magic base and to do detail work. Just a small amount of the paperclay goes a long way, but it is rather heavy.

Anyways, I'm done with the rant ^^

OGIGA

Quote from: Mirai Noah on March 26, 2009, 10:06:10 AM
Quote from: narutofan17 on March 26, 2009, 01:34:13 AM
Quote from: chaosbark on March 25, 2009, 03:20:04 PM
I feel like such a stalker now.... I noticed that you're an Aggie, narutofan. Go UC Davis! ^__^
o_O Facebook has betrayed me again! *assassinates facebook* XD

I'm an Aggie too! XD
Woohoo! Me too!!

sael

Oh snap! So many Aggies! :D

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: chaosbark on March 26, 2009, 06:16:48 PM
:D Yay! Aggies!

*Rant time*
I finally finished my project with Model Magic and I really have to say that, for big projects, I really hate the stuff. However, I just found out how wonderful paperclay is! XD The stuff is amazing. Easy to apply to a surface, easy to smooth, and easy to shape. I've heard people say that it shrinks a lot, but I really didn't have that problem. It's about the same price as Model Magic (per ounce) but it's sold in individual packets rather than 2lb boxes (of 4 pouches). The stuff responds well to water and smooths back together. I recommend it for smaller projects - I only used it to cover the Model Magic base and to do detail work. Just a small amount of the paperclay goes a long way, but it is rather heavy.

Anyways, I'm done with the rant ^^

pictures? 83
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

sael

lol, yes I do have photos. They're kind of big, so they might take time loading. The pictures were taken to document the final product, so what you see is the paperclay layer.

1   2   3

trupnoi

woah that looks awesome, it's for Ggio right?

clawmaster

Quote from: chaosbark on March 26, 2009, 09:07:19 PM
lol, yes I do have photos. They're kind of big, so they might take time loading. The pictures were taken to document the final product, so what you see is the paperclay layer.

1   2   3

very nice. I keep this in mind for other stuff i want

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

waffle-lover26

Can you message me the basic steps in HOW THE HELL I DO THIS?? I do want to have a costume ready before fanime T^T
I used to keep an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
If you don't like my driving, than get off the sidewalk.

*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

trupnoi

New Bleach chapter out...

all i can say is "BOOM... HEADSHOT!"

Spalding

Chaosbark: nice work, it look awesome. :)

Yukari:  put me in the list, I'll cosplay as Aizen (Arrancar ver.)  
Is all about anime and fanime.

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: chaosbark on March 26, 2009, 09:07:19 PM

1   2   3

woooooow your helm looks fantastic! 8D can't wait to see the whole thing now ^^

FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

OGIGA

Crap! That is nice! How heavy is the mask? It's not clay-heavy, right?

sael

@ trupnoi - Yup, it's for Ggio. I'm thinking I'll take a short break from his costume and work on Shuuhei for a bit - I need to pull apart my kimono and find my embroidery thread. Still waiting for Cosworx to get more stock so I can get my wig =.='

@ waffle - I can't remember if you were planning to do unreleased or released Sun-Sun. Either way, I'd suggest you get a sheet of fun foam and a loaf of paperclay (~$6 for 8oz.; compared to MM ~$5 for 8oz. [I could only find the 2lb box =.='']). Skip the Model Magic as Sun-Sun's mask looks thin enough to be done with paperclay alone.

@ OGIGA - 2lb (1lb of MM and 1lb of paperclay) according to the wrappers, but I think I lost some of the weight while I was modifying the thing. I'll weight it tomorrow and report the weight. I really should have used foam as filler, but I didn't.

Supplies:
  • Base:
         ~ Paperclay:I used Creative Paperclay which I from Michael's. It costs $5.99 for 8oz. but there are other brands. Eye how much is needed for your project.
              - To give you an idea, it took 1 loaf to completely cover the MM base and 2/3 of another to make the fangs/detail. Use the excess to fix cracks.
              - Make sure it air dries, I'm pretty such that most of us don't have kilns in our back yards.
         ~ Fun Foam ($0.99/one sheet at Michael's)
              - Base for small/detail for large projects
         ~ Model Magic ($20.99/2lb at Michael's)
              - Base for big projects that are not masks
         ~ Mask
              - If it's a mask (like Ichigo's)
  • Reference pictures (Chapter 334 is a good one for unreleased Sun-Sun)
  • Tools:
         ~ Warm water - essential when working with paperclay, helpful when working with MM
         ~ Flat-head screwdriver - the poor man's device when working with clay (clay sculpting tool)
         ~ Wig head/Balloon/something to prop the object up

Process (for small projects, skip to #4
    1. Create the basic form of the base from Model magic. It's a good idea to have someone helping you when you're making something big like Ulquiorra or Ggio's helmets because the MM can be rather flimsy. My sister and I ended up pressing 8oz. of the stuff on my head and then blowing up a balloon to fit it (since I don't have a wig head XD).
    2. Tease the MM into the shape of the mask, use filler as you deem necessary (which I forgot to do). It doesn't matter is it looks bumpy as you'll be covering this with paper clay.
    3. Let dry overnight.
    4. Use Fun Foam to make the details (teeth, spikes,etc). You can also use fake nails, and other objects
    5. When applying the paperclay, make a thin layer (about the thickness of a coin). Paperclay responds best when moist. You can use warm water to smooth it and make it mesh together.
    6. If there are designs on it, it's best to etch them into the damp paperclay with your nails or a flat object (screwdriver). Paperclay will take at least 10 hours to dry. Drying time depends on the thickness.
    7. Paperclay does shrink slightly, so fill the cracks that form with some more paperclay or smooth them out by running a wet finger over them. You can also sand wet paperclay to make it smoother.

I feel like this is incomplete, but it's late and I'm tired.

WrentheFaceless

sael

Thanks Wren ^__^

I was checking the skull this morning since it's basically dry now. The cracks that formed are tiny, about the width of .25 lead. I was expecting the fangs to shrink a decent amount, but they didn't. Less work for me! XD

As for weight, ~1.5lb which is essentially my fault since I forgot to make the core out of foam. At least it won't blow away with the wind!
Color, which the pictures didn't show well, is off-white - bone color.
A warning: Don't put paperclay in the sun or attempt to force it to dry. I accidentally left some out in the sun and it's cracked/crumbling

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: chaosbark on March 27, 2009, 08:19:34 AM
Thanks Wren ^__^

I was checking the skull this morning since it's basically dry now. The cracks that formed are tiny, about the width of .25 lead. I was expecting the fangs to shrink a decent amount, but they didn't. Less work for me! XD

As for weight, ~1.5lb which is essentially my fault since I forgot to make the core out of foam. At least it won't blow away with the wind!
Color, which the pictures didn't show well, is off-white - bone color.
A warning: Don't put paperclay in the sun or attempt to force it to dry. I accidentally left some out in the sun and it's cracked/crumbling

you can fix those cracks by filling them with white wood filler or doing a couple layers of clear gesso ^^
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

sael

I had excess paper clay which I applied to them. At first I was tempted to leave them since they looked cool, but I don't want the strain of the fangs to make them larger so I just rubbed a little extra clay into/onto them. Working on other cosplay parts now that Mr. Fuzzy (named by my sister for the soft texture of the clay) is done - I'm hoping to be done by the end of this week so that I can leave everything at home when I head back up to Davis

waffle-lover26

Thanks Chaos, I'll try to drag my mom to a crafts store for that stuff ASAP. =D

On a side note I was walking the track at school today while my classmates did high jump (I chose to walk) So I wrote a bunch of words in the sand ^^
I used to keep an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
If you don't like my driving, than get off the sidewalk.

*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

ryuyasha

Hey guys. My friend got to messing around with her editing skills last night, and we made a few bleach funnies ^^ figured id share.

ININ

@ryuyasha, is there a Hitsugaya? XD