Weapons Policy Question(s)

Started by Nina Star 9, June 21, 2008, 04:19:22 PM

Nina Star 9

I have not read the weapons policies of the past years, due to neverhaving to worry about having a weapon, and I have not been able to find the policy online, so I am asking here.

I am possibly doing a cosplay that involves a rapier. I was wondering if a cheap plastic toy one would have to be peacebonded to the sheath/to me so it cannot be removed, or if plastic is allowed. It is rather important to the character (Irina Spalko, from the new Indiana Jones movie), and I am hoping that a plastic one would be allowed. If not, I can understand, but can I pleae be pointed in the direction of something that would be allowed?

Also, out of curiosity (since my sister is doing cosplay involving a whip, and a friend agreed to cosplay Indy if I do Irina), what is the policy on whips?

Thank you for your answers!

Shi_Musouka

If it is a cheap plastic toy, it is allowed to be peace bonded to you or to your sheath.

Real whips are not allowed according to the weapons policy, however if it's like a prop whip that can't do damage if used(ex. plain rope for the whip part or something), that is allowed.

Note that this is based off of the 2008 weapons policy so it may be subject to change.

Nina Star 9

Okay, thank you for the information. :D

That is a bit frustrating, though. I mean, I understand why, because someone can run into while I am posing, or some people would swing a sword around like crazy and be reckless with it and the staff cannot tell who will do this and discriminate, etc., but even so, people have weapons that don't have sheaths that could do just as much damage that cannot get peacebonded to them. Oh well, I guess I cannot really complain too much, since the rules are there for a reason. (Then again, I'm allowed to carry a heavy metal candleabra and no one seems to care... ;P)

So a toy or prop whip is allowed? That's good to know. Thank you.

Jerry

I'd post the link to th official weapons policy, but I dont remember the link.

BEST way to get info is to e-mail us.

Actually you could contact my bosses and our deptartment.

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

but we'll repost the info about weapons once the 2009 site gets back up.

ALL PROP WEAPONS are to be inspected by Safety/ SOS /Rovers team

Once inspected WE (Fanime staff) will peace bond the weapon item for you.

NO LIVE STEEL. period.
this means any weapon made of metal with an edge is NOT allowed on the Fanime Concourse (any areas of the convention)

the ONLY exception is weapons bought from the Dealers room. That STAY in the cardboard box and immediately taken into storage.

Again a MORE details weapons policy will eventually be posted but thats some of the 'official' 411.

@ Shi_Musouka - I know your trying to help get to word out. but I too have been "busted" or "corrected" for giving out incomplete info.

Please have Deonchan (our 2nd in command) officially answer questions or have them e-mail the links above.

Thanks!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Shi_Musouka

Disclaimer: The following text is expressed by the opinions of myself and is not the official word of the convention.

Actually Jer, I just tried the link to the official weapons policy and it doesn't work. ;___;

Although I already mentioned it before in small text, I will repeat that my response was based off of the 2008 weapons policy so it may be subject to change. It's not the official answer, but it's what I would have done(with my knowledge of the weapons policy) if you came to the Safety office with said items.

IMO, I think the creation of a weapons policy goes back to the never-ending debate about glomps and signage at cons. Some people abused the privilege in negative ways that the convention center or other attendees may frown upon, maybe a convention had to handle an ugly lawsuit involving an attendee abusing weapons, or it conflicted with an existing local/state/federal law. It's usually because of a negative incident that rules and policies are frequently added or amended. This one isn't Fanime-specific, but it's a general overview as far as cons go.

I haven't attended Fanime long enough to know whether or not weapon abuse was a major problem in the past so I can't really say anything about it on the Fanime perspective of that pattern.

Staff in general understands that these rules are frustrating for the attendees, but they do what they can and you know what they say, "Better safe than sorry,"

Jer pretty much summed up the prop side of things, but yeah. You're always welcome to e-mail Safety with specific questions, or you can drop deonchan a PM as well.

userpay

Quote from: Jerry on August 04, 2008, 03:38:37 PM
I'd post the link to th official weapons policy, but I dont remember the link.

BEST way to get info is to e-mail us.

Actually you could contact my bosses and our deptartment.

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

but we'll repost the info about weapons once the 2009 site gets back up.

ALL PROP WEAPONS are to be inspected by Safety/ SOS /Rovers team

Once inspected WE (Fanime staff) will peace bond the weapon item for you.

NO LIVE STEEL. period.
this means any weapon made of metal with an edge is NOT allowed on the Fanime Concourse (any areas of the convention)

the ONLY exception is weapons bought from the Dealers room. That STAY in the cardboard box and immediately taken into storage.

Again a MORE details weapons policy will eventually be posted but thats some of the 'official' 411.

@ Shi_Musouka - I know your trying to help get to word out. but I too have been "busted" or "corrected" for giving out incomplete info.

Please have Deonchan (our 2nd in command) officially answer questions or have them e-mail the links above.

Thanks!
So that means I can bring back my unsharpenable katana and wakizashi this year then most likely? I brought them in last year and didn't have any problems
(they were peace bonded) but just so ninja star knows they don't nesecarally peacebond the weapon to the sheath, they put a zip tie on it to show that you understand the rules (in my experience). This time however I do plan on bringing the paper work accossiated with my swords to show that they cannot be sharpened and thus is just as "dangerous" as just about anyone elses weapons (i.e. no edge) to be sure.

Jerry

actually despite your logic, I would reccommend getting the official word by e-mailing the department directly.

ironically ANY item has the potential of doing harm, especially "unsharpened" weapons.

besides, if you want trouble from SJPD, by all means...  :P

but seriously u should ask the right ppl if you want the right answers.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ewu

the weapons policy predates the glomp/signage discussion, but pies.....they are banned, no exceptions
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Rodney_Pheonix

Live steel, does that mean my combat knife, that I can't cut my own skin with, is allowable? I'm planning on doing a Snake from MGS 3 cosplay for part of a day.

My one concern would be my airsoft pistol Though I'm not planning to have it loaded.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

BSaphire

For what it is worth (AND I am only adding my 2 cents in here) most conventions do NOT allow "Live" steel. This is not because it can or can not do damage, rather it is because it IS still a weapon. Have you ever seen a wound cause by a butter knife? It is actually worse because it tears and pulls instead of the clean cut. An exception I have seen at SOME conventions is to secure "Live" steel (capable of being sharpened or not) it in a sheath. No sheath no prop and if it can't be secured in it then no.

As for Air Soft & Pellet guns... that has been extremely rare also. Key reasons for this are the potential for something to be lodged in the chamber that can NOT be seen, even compressed air on the right point can injure or kill a person, and majority of these types of weapons are too realistic and can easily be mistaken for the real thing.

If the above mentioned stuff isn't enough then how about the laws in the state of CA that prohibits the sale to minors... aka UNDER 18 years of age. Or the fact that a "WEAPON"  is something that causes another to believe it can be used to cause bodily harm or injury... in other words... it isn't that you intended to do something physical with it, rather the other party felt you could... yes menace comes in to play. So if you take your swiffer mop above your head, yelling loudly, and acting out of control as you run at innocent bystanders... you could have some serious problems depending on how others take into account what they see, hear, feel and know. Harming someone with a broken bottle is obvious, but a butter knife can kill to... it might take a little more effort, but it can.

I am only throwing this out there because the conventions are not necessarily "Bad" guys for not allowing you to have your props... they have to follow many sets of rules... Convention Rules & guidelines, Venue Rules & Guidelines, Local Laws, California Laws & Federal Laws and EVERY convention wants their attendees to have a SAFE and Fun time so there has to be policy set to ensure the safety of everyone.

AGAIN, let me STRESS that this is my two cents and I AM NOT With SOS. They are the best peeps to go to for Fanime-Con's Weapons Policy. I am sure that they will fix the link soon. It is good to see that peeps are asking about things instead of assuming it... this is a GREAT thing! ^^)
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Rodney_Pheonix

For the record I'm over 18. Come to think of it, I'll be 19 come time for the con.

As for the knife. I can make a sheath to fit it. Sewing machine + Black webbing material, bit of one of those thin plastic cutting boards to fit around the knife should work.

As for the gun, it's a cheapo one, so I can remove the spring, or the trigger mechanism, if there's a problem. Meh, I can figure it out when I get to security.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

BSaphire

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on November 14, 2008, 11:37:59 AM
For the record I'm over 18. Come to think of it, I'll be 19 come time for the con.

As for the knife. I can make a sheath to fit it. Sewing machine + Black webbing material, bit of one of those thin plastic cutting boards to fit around the knife should work.

As for the gun, it's a cheapo one, so I can remove the spring, or the trigger mechanism, if there's a problem. Meh, I can figure it out when I get to security.
I just want to say again that I wasn't speaking for Fanime's weapons policy it was a generalized statement from the many different conventions I have/do attend. Send Safety on Site an email and ask them your questions. I'm sure they can answer them and then you will know what Fanime expects.
All the best! ^^)
BSaphire
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

ewu

NOTE the weapons policy for 2009 has NOT been set nor released.

Drawn from weapons policy from 2008's program guide:
http://www.fanime.com/2008/files/FanimeCon_2008_Program_Guide_v5.pdf

Any live steel is prohibited. Live steel covered, in a scabbard, or in a protective cover is not permitted.
Guns and projectile weapons of any kind are not permitted.

Props and toy guns are permitted pending approval of SOS. No moving parts and clearly marked with a non-removable orange tip or colored in a bright safety color. (Disabling your airsoft gun will NOT put it in this category)

Bear in mind that anything that may be stated as permitted may still be not permitted at con if it looks like or may resemble a danger at 20 feet, to be determined by SOS.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

IndaMix

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on November 14, 2008, 11:37:59 AM

some of my friends last year did some snake cosplays, and one of them had an airsoft gun that was broken before the con so it couldn't shoot, and he also took everything out that would make so that it could shoot, but they still didn't let him have it without it being peacebonded to a holster.

heeroyuy135

Here's my question.
Why is California law so strict on things like this compared to other states? I've seen other conventions out-of-state with picture after picture with live steel or realistic airsoft weapons. Maybe it's just because I haven't researched other state laws or maybe it is the same across the nation...

Charis

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on November 19, 2008, 11:50:42 PM
Here's my question.
Why is California law so strict on things like this compared to other states? I've seen other conventions out-of-state with picture after picture with live steel or realistic airsoft weapons. Maybe it's just because I haven't researched other state laws or maybe it is the same across the nation...

While I can't say anything about the guns, what is the legal standpoint (assuming someone knows) regarding live steel?  I work Ren Faires in southern California, and ... well, surrounded by live steel there, it makes me wonder what the state regs are.
I was also under the impression that the bulk of the weapons rules (as apply to conventions and the props therein) are con-driven rather than state-driven.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

ewu

Here's my question.

Lawyers do well in California....that's why I wanna be one:)

Quote from: IndaMix on November 19, 2008, 08:25:00 PM
some of my friends last year did some snake cosplays, and one of them had an airsoft gun that was broken before the con so it couldn't shoot, and he also took everything out that would make so that it could shoot, but they still didn't let him have it without it being peacebonded to a holster.

If it looks like a gun and its pointed at a police officer (which we have numerous at-con)....he/she WILL shoot you with out giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

BSaphire

Here's my question.
Hugs HeeroYuy135! ^^)

I wanted to throw this out to the many new/newer cospeeps out there! At one of the conventions I attended in the Bay Area during 2004 I was taking pics of Resident Evil Military cosplay vs Metal Gear cosplay. It made for some dynamic shots and was sure fun, but it was a very public place and many of the people visiting the location did not understand what was going on. The realism for both cosplays was pretty spot on so I think a few people grew concerned seeing the prop guns and thought that they may be real and what was happening could pose a threat to the other people around.

None of the airsoft guns that were there could do any harm, but they were so realistic that the police department spent some serious time with the cosplayers/convention execs and the like till it was all figured out that no one would be or could be hurt. Had the tips of the guns been orange and other visible securing measures taken, even the random bystanders that didn't understand the cosplay fandom would have been much more at ease.

I took from the whole episode that there had to have been other conventions that had dealt with similar issues and I was not surprised to see more refined policy at conventions the following year. As for CA laws on the matter, I have seen local municipal laws enacted to provide a clearer recourse for the discharging and handling of these types of guns. Many of the rules/laws/amendments that have come about are due to issues within society as a whole and the need to keep the peace, law, and order for all.

For the record I do know that other cities in other states have hard policy directed at such matters.

I also wanted to point out that doing a private photo shoot with cosplayers off site has allowed for some of those pictures you have seen. Also location of the cosplayer when those pictures are taken makes the deceptive point that they may have been allowed. Catch a cosplayer coming off the elevator to take a photo, and on their way to weapons and peacebonding, doesn't mean that the prop weapon was allowed.

Just some thoughts to ponder and encouragement to do research too ^^)

Squidges to all!
BSaphire
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Rodney_Pheonix

I can deal with the pistol being peacebonded into the holder, but I was also considering bringing a rifle prop. However I think my recent foray into personal painting and such may have killed that. Still have the orange tips though.Dunno where my pistol vanished off to though.

Here's some before and after shots on what I did tell me what my chances are on those. How would an airsoft rifle be peacebonded anyway?

For some reason I doubt either would be allowed. Then again I'm a pessamist.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

ewu

my friends..its about an inclusive ban. If its airsoft, its not allowed even with an orange tip.

It's nonfunctional guns that must have an orange tip or it will be likewise prohibited.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom