Parasols (loli-inspired) What do you think?

Started by Evelle, June 26, 2008, 11:09:22 PM

Evelle

Recently I started decorating umbrellas for fun and people seemed to like them. So I thought I would post a few here to see what you all think and if there would even be a market for this.

This one was my prototype. Made with a regular size umbrella from Walmart. Not very fancy but it was my first try. Sorry for the bad pics. Its all I have and its at a friends house right now. Its blurry but you can get the general idea.

This is a pic of the detail:

This is my black on white done on a southern parasol which is smaller than a normal umbrella (about 22 inches across). It has black roses and leaves on top and butterflys with black gem trails.

This one is my white on black, also on the southern style parasol. The loops are strands of pearls.

So what do you guys think?

Kazuko

Its very cute but here are some suggestions

Will the decor pop off if being closed? you dont want to have a parasol that is OMG EXPLOSION on decor and lace and it wont close

Try doing Ruffles instead of lace, The Summer issue of the Gothic and Lolita bible has some parasols you can use as reference. They also dont have to have the decor they could be a simple print and still be cute. Like a butter fly or alice in wonderland, Floral too

Evelle

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of ideas and not all use lace so there will be more variety. Thanks for the ruffles idea though. And they can close without losing anything, I made sure to work around the spines :) .

Jun-Watarase

Wow! Those are really cute and cleanly-made. I'm sure people would definitely buy it. I'm one of those crazy Asians you see on the street carrying around normal rain umbrellas to block out the sun, here. Might as well carry around something pretty to keep you from tanning, right?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

JohnnyAR

questionette

I like your prototype one!!! Are you going to sell those? I want one!!!

Airi

I really like your black/red prototype :D Great job ^^
The one with black butterflies is very cute <3

Punkbuster

My favorite is the white one with black butterflies. XD There's too many boring umbrellas/parasols in the world.

Jerry

nice. if you have a booth or plan to take orders here or somewhere on the internets, i could buy them for my friends who are into this stuff :)

keep up the good work!  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Mango Bunny

I feel a little late to the party but...

I agree about ruffles. Cheap lace is like kryptonite for a lolita. Adversely, it feeds ita-lolis! It depends who your market is. But the ruffles would look nice and clean and expand the market for them I think. Look how nice and dainty the ruffles make this BABY parasol look!

I know you say lolita-inspired, but lolitas would be excellent to target with this sort of item.

Kazuko

Quote from: Mango Bunny on October 17, 2008, 08:27:34 PM
I feel a little late to the party but...

I agree about ruffles. Cheap lace is like kryptonite for a lolita. Adversely, it feeds ita-lolis! It depends who your market is. But the ruffles would look nice and clean and expand the market for them I think. Look how nice and dainty the ruffles make this BABY parasol look!

I know you say lolita-inspired, but lolitas would be excellent to target with this sort of item.
I want to kill people for that parasol D: <3

:J yay another lolita, are you from egl perchance?

Evelle

Actually I did purchase some (I think) really pretty ruffles. I have a bunch more I want to make but university steals my time. Over Christmas break I will probably throw together some more. I am definitely open to suggestions but I also try to keep costs down since no matter how pretty a parasol is I don't think people will pay a whole lot for them.

XpHoBiaX

I love that butterfly one soooooo much! X3
I am not lolita, but dammit I'd make it work! @_@
;>_>
goth+steampunk+lolita=?????? Kazuko possibly mudering me.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Kazuko

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on October 19, 2008, 09:27:37 AM
I love that butterfly one soooooo much! X3
I am not lolita, but dammit I'd make it work! @_@
;>_>
goth+steampunk+lolita=?????? Kazuko possibly mudering me.
I have seen steampunk lolita its pretty awesome

I wouldnt kill you as long as its well made

@evelle: Haha dont be suprised how many are willing to pay for brand name parasols

XpHoBiaX

I am going to build up a style for that parasol. ;)
Maybe take a few tips from Kazuko.

Evelle
I really want that parasol/umbrella!

...as soon as I make some decent cash.

2010 cosplay...?

Evelle

Im glad you like it XpHoBiaX. I will put it aside for you until you decide if you would like it.

I was thinking between $40 - $50 per parasol depending on how many and what decorations were used. I'm also thinking of limited commissions based on what ruffles/lace I have available. I will have to get together a site over the holidays. 

XpHoBiaX

Unfortunately, right now I need a tattoo machine and to pay off some stuff. Don't hold it for me, becuase I won't be able to pay right away.

You have wonderful talent.
I sob with envy...

2010 cosplay...?

bunnycorpse