Pimpstress Rei

Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

NetBelleAnie

Quote from: Kava on October 09, 2008, 04:29:44 PM
Being a plain volunteer would offer you more flexibility in hours, but less in duties. Staffing would allow you to choose your department, and therefore your duties (assuming the department head would take you), but be a bit less flexible in hours since staff are required to work a certain number of hours to fulfill their staff obligation.

Although discounted rooms are usually offered for staff, it isn't necessary for you to take advantage of that. If you'd prefer to stick with getting a hotel room with your cosplay group, that's certainly still an option.

As for working -with- your friend, it would depend upon where you were staffing and what the duties required of you. Some departments, such as registration, everyone pretty much works in close proximity to one another. Other departments, such as mine (panels), often require you to be on your own for a stretch while you're monitoring a door. (I actually try to pair my staffers up when I can, but this isn't always possible.)

I don't think there is any task we can set you, whether staff or volunteer, and guarantee that the two of you can stay together constantly, unless one of you were staff and the other were not... in which case the non-staffer might in some cases be free to hang about so long as they didn't distract you from your duties.

I can't say whether your health issues would be an issue without knowing what they are, so I won't comment on that. That'd probably be something you should discuss with the dept. head of whatever department you decide to apply to. ^^

-Kava

Thank you very much.  My health problems are my dysfunctional digestive system, knee problems and depression, so I can't run/stand long periods, need to sleep a lot from medications, and have to closely monitor what I eat along with stress... the stress being a big issue.  I wouldn't except to work with someone 24/7 but I would prefer to as it helps lower stress, therefore would make me more productive.  I wish there was a way to help only certain days, but I guess that would undermine the position as being "staff".  I'll probably just wait another year before trying to work.
However, I know one thing I could do is setup and breakdown of tables and such like in the dealer's room, though I wouldn't know who to even ask about that.  It's not much, but I'd feel better knowing I was helping, even if only a little.
Demyx (Kingdom Hearts)
Mabel (Gravity Falls)

Kava

Quote from: NetBelleAnie on October 16, 2008, 11:06:44 PM
Thank you very much.  My health problems are my dysfunctional digestive system, knee problems and depression, so I can't run/stand long periods, need to sleep a lot from medications, and have to closely monitor what I eat along with stress... the stress being a big issue.  I wouldn't except to work with someone 24/7 but I would prefer to as it helps lower stress, therefore would make me more productive.  I wish there was a way to help only certain days, but I guess that would undermine the position as being "staff".  I'll probably just wait another year before trying to work.
However, I know one thing I could do is setup and breakdown of tables and such like in the dealer's room, though I wouldn't know who to even ask about that.  It's not much, but I'd feel better knowing I was helping, even if only a little.
It sounds like your best bet would be volunteering, at least for now. Volunteers aren't staff and don't have a set number of hours to work. They are eligible for various rewards based on how many hours they spend volunteering.

Just request a volunteer spot where you wouldn't be required to run around a lot. Volunteers are often the ones checking badges at the dealer room door - I use volunteers to check badges at panel room doors too, for busy times, or when I'm low on staff.

Volunteering would allow you to work only when you wanted to work, and specify the days and times you'd be available. (Assuming volunteers were needed at those times.)

You wouldn't get much in the way of 'rewards' if you didn't work very many hours, but it'd be a way you could help and be in control of everything so that it wouldn't overwhelm you.

You mention helping set-up and take-down on dealers tables - are you planning to arrive at the con site on Thursday and stay through Monday late afternoon?
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels

ewu

Reg may be good too. The hours are predictable and with the number of staff reg has we are flexible. Also, reg is not open 24 hrs.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

AnimeEmperor

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on October 15, 2008, 09:45:37 PM
Seconded. Rena = full of win.
pffft, win wishes it was half as cool as Rena.

NetBelleAnie

Quote from: Kava on October 17, 2008, 09:49:01 AM
You mention helping set-up and take-down on dealers tables - are you planning to arrive at the con site on Thursday and stay through Monday late afternoon?
Volunteering sounds best, and I was planning on being there Thursday midday, but it depends on how late we (my group) stay Monday.  If I could leave between 5-6 I should be fine (I live in San Leandro, so it's not a long commute)
Demyx (Kingdom Hearts)
Mabel (Gravity Falls)

ewu

honestly there is not much to do for dealers setup and take down. its all the dealers and union people. Mostly the staff is there to make sure everything stays in order and no bad things are happening...it might be something that works
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Pimpstress Rei

Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

banzuke

i would like to help the arcade department if i can and i also would like to be a staff

ewu

arcade would love to have you. you can contact them at arcadeATfanimeDOTcom
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

potatofreek

Potatoes Rule the World.
Deal with it.

ewu

depends on the department. Most have a minimum age...i think. certain ones like rovers are 18+.

*edit
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

zemric

2007 attendee
2008 egaming
2009 stage zero
2010 pc gaming "head"

Steve.Young

Quote from: zemric on October 29, 2008, 02:50:54 AM
nope rovers is 18+

I think she meant 16+ for general staff, not Rovers Specifically.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Ammorin

So it's 16 for general staff like printing?
Fanime Attendee 2008 - Lin Yao (FMA)
Fanime Attendee 2009 - Aristocrat Gentlemen
*Fanime Attendee 2010 - Lolita, Nadeshiko Fujisaki (Shugo Chara), and maybe Yue from Rune Factory 2

Shi_Musouka

For me, I can see the general age being around 15+. I've had friends who were 15 by con day and didn't have problems finding a department to work under. In general, I think the older you are, the more likely you are to find a department(there are a couple that are 16+, a good amount that are 18+, etc.).

I don't know what the printing dept's age requirement is, you're better off e-mailing them for that(print-at-fanimeDOTcom).

Either way, you and your parent/guardian get that beautiful piece of paper to sign. *remembers those*  ::)

denkigrve

Hey there. My name is Jon, and I just moved to the San Jose area. I've been a staffer at Otakon in Baltimore Maryland for 8 years now, and looking for another convention to work for a little closer to home now that I've moved. For Otakon I do photography. Both con coverage and photo-suite photography. Is Fanimecon in need of anyone else to help in these areas for the 2009 convention? Do you guys have a photosuite at all? Do you guys do con coverage at all?

Steve.Young

We have a photography department.

It is run by a guy named Derek.

I do believe his email is Derek AT Fanime.com

I think he is looking for a few photographers. You will probably need samples of your work etc.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

darkknightcecil

So Anymore Questions for Staffing? ha Ha