Obsession or hobby

Started by narutofan17, July 14, 2008, 03:42:43 AM

narutofan17

What is the first thing you think of when you her of someone collecting figures? Do you think of a 30 year old nerd that still lives in his mother's basement? Well, that was my perception on it before I started looking on the net. I was bored so I started searching the net. I was watching G4 and they were showing the Comic Con pre show or somthin and they were talking about collecting toys and models. These dudes were seriously into it and were giving tips to people and everything. I started to think to myself. "Hmmmm, I wander what kind of models do they have for anime shows. So I looked up some of my favorite animes (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Bleach, etc.) Soon I started think to myself, this is kinda cool. The point that I'm trying to get to is what is you guys take on collecting models. Waste of money or something worth the money?

Personally I could see myself doing it actually. The only problems is the price of these things. For example, I was looking up some Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann models and I happened to find a Kamina model (favorite character XD). http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php?cPath=635&products_id=6507&name=Tengen+Toppa+Gurren+Lagann&title=Tengen+Toppa+Gurren+Lagann+-+1%2F8+Kamina+PVC+Figure+-+Eye+Up I mean it's a really cool model of him but it's kinda pricey. I mean, it's more than I would spend on a video game. I don't see how these guys that collect on a regular basis can do it.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

narutofan17

Also, they said on the thing I watched on G4 that toys should be kept in the package (even though I just want to collect figures) and models should be token out and displayed. I know I somehow probably answered my own question but does anyone know why?

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

PyronIkari

... aren't you like 20 or something? Shouldn't you know this?

Opening package of figure=loses value. If you're collecting it as a collectable, then opening the package basically reduces the value of the item in half. If you're collecting it for personal display, then it's for display, not for collecting.

I have a small handful of PVCs and a couple of resins. My girlfriend has a whole crapload of PVCs and I think 2 resins? We don't collect them for value, but more for personal display. Your average PVC runs about 4000-6000yen. Your average Resin is about 10000 to 25000 yen.

narutofan17

Quote from: PyronIkari on July 14, 2008, 04:41:33 AM

Opening package of figure=loses value. If you're collecting it as a collectable, then opening the package basically reduces the value of the item in half. If you're collecting it for personal display, then it's for display, not for collecting.

I have a small handful of PVCs and a couple of resins. My girlfriend has a whole crapload of PVCs and I think 2 resins? We don't collect them for value, but more for personal display. Your average PVC runs about 4000-6000yen. Your average Resin is about 10000 to 25000 yen.
Can't you be nice for once. Why must you attack. T_T. My age has nothing to do with the question. To put it simply I just wanted to know it it's a cool hobby or just or a waste of time...but thanks for the info.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Tsubasa

Quote from: narutofan17 on July 14, 2008, 07:23:36 AMTo put it simply I just wanted to know it it's a cool hobby or just or a waste of time.

I don't know about your qualifier for "cool," but mine is "do I like it?"

I personally think figures/models/etc. are awesome.  I'm an avid collector of PVCs.  I also buy my fair share of trading figures and cold-casts once in a while.  It's perhaps my biggest anime merchandise money sink.  And I regret none of it.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

otakuapprentice

Quote from: PyronIkari on July 14, 2008, 04:41:33 AM

NRFB...NRFB...NRFB...

LOL.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

K-ayu

Haha, I have a habit of collecting random stuff. I don't know why I buy things sometimes, but it's just in my nature, I guess. Figurines, trading cards, Precure goodies, etc. aaahhh I'll just try not to think of the money I used on this junk XD

Mister_E

I'm always trying to find more Phase II Armor Clone Troopers to add to my collection, I am ALMOST done like 5-6 more to go.

Commander Cody is my Favorite.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

LastElixir

Quote from: narutofan17 on July 14, 2008, 07:23:36 AM
To put it simply I just wanted to know it it's a cool hobby or just or a waste of time...

Shouldn't you decide that for yourself?

Sounds like you care way too much on what others think. Do whatever the hell you want.

j

JTchinoy

if you do things based on what others think and not based on your own personal interest, you're a tool.

i build gundam models and i take pride in them.  i consider myself a very normal person, btw.  its up to you if you think figurine collecting is nerdy or not.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

rude32

Quote from: JTchinoy on July 20, 2008, 08:25:17 PM
if you do things based on what others think and not based on your own personal interest, you're a tool.

i build gundam models and i take pride in them.  i consider myself a very normal person, btw.  its up to you if you think figurine collecting is nerdy or not.
I like the Super Deformed Gundam models myself.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Kazuko

Quote from: rude32 on July 21, 2008, 08:16:43 AM

=( i had one a tiny wing zero

then he met his emminent fate with my cuzzo's baby and the bathtub

X( he cant fight against sudsy tubs

rude32

Quote from: Kazuko on July 22, 2008, 12:13:36 AM
Quote from: rude32 on July 21, 2008, 08:16:43 AM

=( i had one a tiny wing zero

then he met his emminent fate with my cuzzo's baby and the bathtub

X( he cant fight against sudsy tubs
Party foul. I have a tiny Heavy Arms and also Gundam Maxter.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

JTchinoy

SD gundams are too easy to build.  XP

if i had more money, i'd be building only perfect grades.  :P

my most recent is kyrios ^_^

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

rude32

Quote from: JTchinoy on July 22, 2008, 07:15:34 PM
SD gundams are too easy to build.  XP

if i had more money, i'd be building only perfect grades.  :P

my most recent is kyrios ^_^