I need a band-aide for my brain

Started by BrightHeart76, July 22, 2008, 10:02:10 PM

BrightHeart76

So I know a lot of people don't agree with seeing psychologist and what not.  But sometimes we all need more help then the people near and dear to us can give.

That being said I have to admit that after decades of mentally beating myself up I'm finally seeking help from a councelor and a psychiatrist.  I've always known that I have Social Anxiety Disorder, and honsestly that's what I went to get help for.  After speaking with both professionals and my GP I find that I also suffer from General Anxiety Disorder and warped core image. 

Now I'm on meds, I have to stop and concider everything going on in my head and around me when I start feeling stressed or angry with myself.  I have to keep a journal of my thoughts and a log of situations where I'm exhibiting "cognitive disfunction".  It's taking over my life.  I want to feel better.  I want to be able to talk to people without fear.  I want to participate in normal human relationships, something I've never had the skills to cope with.  I know I need to do these things to reach those goals.  However, I feel like my life is being taken over by my 'treatment'...and it's only been a few weeks. 

Is there anyone out there who's willing to share any advise or insight they might have?  Someone who's dealt with the mental health system?  Someone with a similar experience?  I'm just feeling really alone and like a total freak, I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who can relate.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Lactose

well isnt it a good sign that you can at least talk to people at all? like think of all the friends you have here and count that as a very definite first step. =) i dont really have any personal advice, but i think that if you can focus more on the friends you do have, and the people you do know, maybe that will help you from stressing out too much when meeting new people. i'd say its just another stage to get through, and you'll do great and come out all the better for it. =)

i know im rooting for you! xD
Lactose = Liz

G.I.R

Yeah, it does seem to take up a lot of your life, like any medical condition, but once you get acclimated to your meds, it won't seem so bad. 

Jerry

trust me, and most ppl on this board would agree:

That nobody likes me, I'm a pathological liar, an enemy of all women and cute things, and I cant carry a tune to save myself.

I'm not Crazy, I'm just a little Unwell, I know right now you cant tell...
- Matchbox Twenty.

Hang in there, even though we're just random voices on the internets, there are still some good nature in some of us.

and we hope that you do see that things will brighten up.
Look into ur heart and hold on to the hope that things will be ok.
Heck its in your screen name so live up to it. :)

Okay enough with the after school special feel good vibe.

I'm going back to being a nerdy fanboy.
Hey look booth babes *stares at Comic Con Fashion show site*

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

edendreams

Actually I know exactly how you're feeling. It;s funny really because when people see me now they see me as happy and cheerful, easy going, and in love with life but.... I had to work very hard to change who i was in order to be this way naturally. I have been in your spot before so if you would like to talk I'm always willing to listen and give advise. Some people here have figured out that I'm a great person to talk to when you're feeling down ^-^

a little art by me ^-^

Barnes

Quote from: Jerry on July 23, 2008, 09:04:18 AM
I'm not Crazy, I'm just a little Unwell, I know right now you cant tell...
- Matchbox Twenty.

"I'm not crazy!
Institution!
You're the one who's crazy!.............."

Ok that's not helping. But best of luck to you BrightHeart76.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

BrightHeart76

Thanks for the kind words everyone.   ;D

It's a long process, but it's going to be worth it when all is said and done.  I'm already noticing some small changes.  I have more energy, I'm talking to some of my summer co-workers, my asthma is even doing a bit better. 

I know there will be lows again, but hopefully I'm learning to deal with them better.  Again, thank you all for your kind words! 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.