Question about Immortality

Started by Mister_E, August 05, 2008, 04:58:55 PM

Mister_E

If you can not die what happens when you get shot in the face and you brains are all over the place what happens therez? You can't do that quick heal thing like C.C. of Code Geass. You're just your Average Joe that can live till the end of days and beyond.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

BrightHeart76

Have you seen the movie "Death Becomes Her"?  Not exactly the same, but similar enough to follow your line of question.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mister_E

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on August 05, 2008, 05:09:43 PM
Have you seen the movie "Death Becomes Her"?  Not exactly the same, but similar enough to follow your line of question.
I've seen bits and parts of it.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

iNSOMNiAC

Well, if you're going by Baccano's standards, what seems to happen whenever someone has their brains blown out or is dismembered is, they are "dead" for a few seconds, and then like a magnet, their wounds heals themselves, the spilled blood is drawn back to to the body and dismembered limbs re-attach themselves. Good as new.

Though a friend of mine brought up an interesting point, what if somebody was holding their (an Immortal's) heart, preventing it from returning to the body? Would they just stay dead until the person let go? Or would the heart still make its way back to the body, despite that?

As for other anime, I couldn't really say.

otakuapprentice

we're going by regular immortality standards, sans healing abilities.

it's pretty much what brightheart said; you have no face(and brains) after.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

JTchinoy

maybe the heart drags them back with it to the chest.  :P

so when they heal the person's arm is stuck holding the heart.  :D

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Jerry

Actually if you seen heroes - Claire was jabbed int head with a rather large tree trunk...

not splattered by a brain bullet persay,

or even comparing it to Wolverine.

Technically the body would regenerate eventually she they would look dead. then come back to life.

ive seen other movies wear the face (and in this case brain) would actually grow back and they started coming conscious.

weird, nasty, freaky and down right cool i suppose. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Jerry

Quote from: iNSOMNiAC on August 05, 2008, 05:21:23 PM

Though a friend of mine brought up an interesting point, what if somebody was holding their (an Immortal's) heart, preventing it from returning to the body? Would they just stay dead until the person let go? Or would the heart still make its way back to the body, despite that?

Sorry for the double post.

Remember when Claire cut off her toe? (another Heroes reference)

She just technically grew another toe. sorta like a lizard or a starfish,

freaky and cool yet again.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

mDuo13

Since I don't think there have been any definitive scientific studies in immortality (sorry, Aubrey de Grey, you don't count), I don't think there's a "right" answer to this question.

However, the particular behaviors depend on the means by which the immortality is achieved. A person whose DNA doesn't degrade over time due to radiation and cell division would be able to live a very long time, (indefinitely, depending on the ability to refresh certain limiting factors in human biochemistry) but would be just as mortal as anyone else when it comes to things like a bullet to the head.

If a person just has rapid regeneration (i.e. Wolverine), then that person would only "die" if the regenerative capability was unable to function for some reason; for example, if the regenerative agents (like if they were, say, blood cells or something) couldn't get the energy and oxygen and things they needed to function (for example, the heart or the brain had stopped) then the person would not regenerate. Unless the regenerative agents also passively collected energy (e.g. photosynthesis or sapping nutrients from the air), then regeneration would also probably cause decreased body functioning and/or increased appetite. Oh, and suppose the brain got destroyed, growing a new one would almost certainly involve brain damage (loss of memory or worse).

If "magic" is involved, then it depends on the nature and strength of the magic, of course. Powerful enough magic could reconstruct or regrow any part of the body without concern for things like energy, raw materials, dispersed or even completely destroyed-on-an-atomic-level parts... because it's magic.

JTchinoy

i don't think i'd want immortality like c.c's
that means you actually experience death then come back.   :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mister_E

Quote from: JTchinoy on August 05, 2008, 10:01:57 PM
Looks like she gotten used to it getting shot in the head or whatever throughout the years.

iNSOMNiAC

Quote from: JTchinoy on August 05, 2008, 05:24:30 PM
maybe the heart drags them back with it to the chest.  :P

so when they heal the person's arm is stuck holding the heart.  :D

That gives off a pretty funny image. xD Imagine them trying to fist-fight each other after that.

JTchinoy

Quote from: Mister_E on August 05, 2008, 10:24:08 PM
Looks like she gotten used to it getting shot in the head or whatever throughout the years.
she got crushed in the last episode of season 1... i dont care who you are, imploding by the depths of the sea must be a terrible thing to experience.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Mister_E

Quote from: JTchinoy on August 05, 2008, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: Mister_E on August 05, 2008, 10:24:08 PM
she got crushed in the last episode of season 1... i dont care who you are, imploding by the depths of the sea must be a terrible thing to experience.
She seemed fine in the begining of Season 2, no mental scars.

mDuo13

Quote from: Mister_E on August 06, 2008, 12:11:07 AM
[spoilers]
She was missing for something like six months.

Mister_E

Quote from: mDuo13 on August 06, 2008, 12:27:05 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on August 06, 2008, 12:11:07 AM
[spoilers]
She was missing for something like six months.
True but there were no signs of fear, I mean how many times was she in that Sub? If it were me I would go no where need large bodies of water.

JTchinoy

go look it up on wikipedia.  it tells you how it happened.

she's died countless ways, pressure implosion just adds to her resume  :o
head shot seems to be the most common one as of world war 1 though.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Lactose

superman got shot in the eye.
his eye deflected the bullet.
Lactose = Liz

Steve.Young

Hmm, interesting thread. I've gotta think about this some more.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

mDuo13

It occurred to me that there are other ways to achieve immortality, too. For example, suppose an outside source was able to reconstruct the body in the exact state it was in before it died. Explain it away with bullshit quantum physics.

Not to mention things like reincarnation (where the mind is separated from the body, and can attach to new hosts) and brain copying (similar), or cloning.

Theoretically a person could even be immortal simply by having incredibly, nigh-impossibly good luck.